PDA

View Full Version : fast movement and the 5' step

b300mussolini
2013-05-01, 04:52 AM
hey i was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the rule that says for every 30 ft above the normal base land speed you increase your 5' step by well 5 ft. my DM said he would allow it if i could find it so ya, thanks.

Andezzar
2013-05-01, 04:56 AM
Never heard of such a rule. I'd be interested though if such a rule existed.

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-01, 04:58 AM
I am quite confident that no such rule exists. It would be an interesting house rule though.

TuggyNE
2013-05-01, 05:01 AM
I have never heard of such a thing; it would make Scouts a lot easier to optimize than they are (in fact, they'd basically optimize themselves).

So far as I know, it does not exist; as further evidence, the Sparring Dummy of the Master has the sole purpose of granting Monks who train with it 10' steps instead of 5'. If Monks could simply wait till level 9 to get the same effect, who'd ever spend 10kgp+ on it?

b300mussolini
2013-05-01, 05:40 AM
i know i have heard of it some where....and it kind of makes since as well because if your moving at twice the normal speed, then in the same "time" it takes to perform a 5' step you could perform a 10' step. i am not really sure what it is from either it might be 3.X or it might be something from one of the pathfinder things i don't know. i just know i heard of it somewhere and i pretty sure that it might be a variant rule.

because ya scouts seem to have this big hole in there class with that needing to move 10-20' around in order to get there extra damage, which means you cant get your full attack, which begs why not play a rouge. they need to be thrown something right?

DeltaEmil
2013-05-01, 05:49 AM
The only way to get a bigger 5' step is to get additional 5' steps through special maneuvers, magic and psionic powers that explicitly say so. The other way is to succeed on a Tumble check DC 40+ or so as written in Oriental Adventures. It is a house-rule for Oriental Adventures only, since D&D 3.x epic rules doesn't have this.

Aside from that, there's no way to increase your 5' step simply because of your increased normal speed as per the rules.

Telonius
2013-05-01, 09:08 AM
Were you maybe thinking of the bonus to Jump that comes with higher speed?

Curmudgeon
2013-05-01, 09:47 AM
The other way is to succeed on a Tumble check DC 40+ or so as written in Oriental Adventures. It is a house-rule for Oriental Adventures only, since D&D 3.x epic rules doesn't have this.
I'm afraid you're mistaken about that. Oriental Adventures, after you add the 3.0 Errata, the 3.5 updates in Dragon # 318, and the general 3.0->3.5 conversions in the "Free D&DŽ v.3.5 Accessory Update" booklet, is fully 3.5 compliant. None of these changes modify the Tumble skill information, so that's part of the 3.5 end result.

The Epic rules are also originally 3.0 content, but updated and replaced selectively in the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide and in many supplements like Complete Adventurer. Whether the Epic rules include this non-Epic Tumble skill use is entirely irrelevant.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-01, 09:53 AM
For me, the Oriental Adventures-tumble skill use remains a houserule, just like Forgotten Realm's houserule of Knowledge (local) being restricted to a region.

eggynack
2013-05-01, 12:37 PM
For me, the Oriental Adventures-tumble skill use remains a houserule, just like Forgotten Realm's houserule of Knowledge (local) being restricted to a region.
That's not how it works. Stuff from Oriental Adventures is technically RAW legal, so if you disallow it then it is you that is making the house rule. You can't just call things house rules, disallow them on that basis, and claim you are still acting within the rules. More accurately, you can do that, but you'd be wrong. If something exists on the edge of legality and requires a ruling, then you're making that ruling. However, that rule still isn't a house rule. A house rule is essentially something that is assumed to not be in effect at all tables, and then the DM takes affirmative action to put that rule into effect. In this case, the game's initial assumption is that you have access to all of the books, and all of the rules in those books, and then the DM houserules the game down to fit the breadth of the table in question. Because the tumble skill use is a universal thing rather than a specific thing though, it should reasonably be assumed to be "on" at all tables.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-01, 12:53 PM
That's not how it works. Stuff from Oriental Adventures is technically RAW legal, so if you disallow it then it is you that is making the house rule. You can't just call things house rules, disallow them on that basis, and claim you are still acting within the rules. More accurately, you can do that, but you'd be wrong. If something exists on the edge of legality and requires a ruling, then you're making that ruling. However, that rule still isn't a house rule. A house rule is essentially something that is assumed to not be in effect at all tables, and then the DM takes affirmative action to put that rule into effect. In this case, the game's initial assumption is that you have access to all of the books, and all of the rules in those books, and then the DM houserules the game down to fit the breadth of the table in question. Because the tumble skill use is a universal thing rather than a specific thing though, it should reasonably be assumed to be "on" at all tables.I never said that I would disallow it, or that it is bad or anything like that. Perhaps I should have said that it's a campaign-specific houserule, but frankly, it doesn't matter.

rexreg
2013-05-01, 02:04 PM
to this question i would say something i rarely say as a DM--no

fast movement is straight out speed; how quickly one can get form point A to point B.

as i see things, when making a 5' move a character is dealing more w/ maneuvering in tight quarters (melee)...keeping your shield just so, making sure your flank isn't opened to an AoO...these things have nothing to do w/ how fast your can sprint in a straight line...if you want to take advantage of your increased Speed, you suffer the AoO...

my 2-cents worth

BWR
2013-05-01, 02:10 PM
I've always wondered why, apart from silly balancing issues, larger creatures couldn't have 10'steps or 15' steps.
Especially something like a giant or a dragon. Why shouldn't one or two steps (which is basically what a five-foot step is for medium creatures) by a greater distance than 5 feet?

Hecuba
2013-05-01, 02:19 PM
I never said that I would disallow it, or that it is bad or anything like that. Perhaps I should have said that it's a campaign-specific houserule, but frankly, it doesn't matter.

You're using the term "houserule" in a drastically different manner than the commonly understood meaning.
1st party, published rules (even those that are setting specific) are not house rules. Even 3rd party books are not house rules.
House rules are things your table/gaming group makes up themselves.

Setting-specific rules are "optional rules." But then, all non-core rulebooks are explicitly "optional".

rexreg
2013-05-01, 03:49 PM
I've always wondered why, apart from silly balancing issues, larger creatures couldn't have 10'steps or 15' steps.
Especially something like a giant or a dragon. Why shouldn't one or two steps (which is basically what a five-foot step is for medium creatures) by a greater distance than 5 feet?

this might be a good point...for example, if one takes into consideration the # of squares occupied by a Hill Giant, 10' square; perhaps that creature can make a "5' move" the size of it's facing (2 squares or 10') in a round...

Carth
2013-05-01, 04:03 PM
Let's not forget the sparring dummy of the master, from the Arms and Equipment Guide. Once you finish training with it, you can make 10' steps instead of 5' steps. Non-monks will need to make UMD checks to use the item, however. There are a few ways to make it so that you can take a second 5' step in a round (I can't recall off the top of my head), and the way the sparring dummy is worded, it effectively would make it so that gaining such an ability on top of being trained with the dummy would allow you to take a pair of 10' steps each round.

Spuddles
2013-05-01, 04:18 PM
I never said that I would disallow it, or that it is bad or anything like that. Perhaps I should have said that it's a campaign-specific houserule, but frankly, it doesn't matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_rule

Oriental Adventures is a collection of rules, independent of where they are played.

Whether or not you choose, or how you choose, to implement the rules therein is technically the "houserule".

rexreg
2013-05-01, 04:19 PM
in D&D 3.X a character may not move if it takes a 5' step...

keep the free 5' Move from 3.x - borrow from 4th ed. (i can't believe i just said that) & allow an additional 5' Move to be taken using your Move action

houserules rock

TuggyNE
2013-05-01, 04:23 PM
because ya scouts seem to have this big hole in there class with that needing to move 10-20' around in order to get there extra damage, which means you cant get your full attack, which begs why not play a rouge. they need to be thrown something right?

The thing is, there are ways to do that, but they require more investment than just "durr get boots of striding and springing". Travel Devotion, Pounce, Sparring Dummy of the Master, Greater Manyshot, Tumble DC 40, and probably at least a couple other different ways are all effective means to get Skirmish damage pretty reliably.

Gazzien
2013-05-01, 05:04 PM
The thing is, there are ways to do that, but they require more investment than just "durr get boots of striding and springing". Travel Devotion, Pounce, Sparring Dummy of the Master, Greater Manyshot, Tumble DC 40, and probably at least a couple other different ways are all effective means to get Skirmish damage pretty reliably.

My favorite are the Cyran Gliding Boots from one of the Mechanical Marvels web articles... not the best (can't use them uphill, or in difficult terrain), but they are my favorite, just because of the flavor. Magic rollerblades! Seriously, how much cooler can you get? :P

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-01, 08:01 PM
I often thought it would be a good houserule, for every 30 ft over 30, you get a 5' longer 5' step. But then I realized casters and dragons, already the most powerful beings in D&D, would be able to benefit from it far more than the monk (wings of flying spell + Flight of the Dragon spell + Haste spell for the win!) and it would completely break D&D.

If it were an exclusive benefit of monk's fast movement, that would be pretty cool, though.

Anyway, to add to the list of RAW-legal methods for 10 ft stepping... Press the Advantage stance in Tome of Battle does this. Boots of Sidestepping in MIC let you 10 ft step 3 times/day, and are cheap enough to buy multiple pairs.