PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 grappling hook

Sarquion
2013-05-01, 09:39 AM
Heya,

I was wondering if it was possible to use grappling hooks and rope as a weapon to stop people running/flying/riding/swimming away, as a trip weapon etc. If so one could make a really cool character around it.

Or would I have to home-brew a new weapon specifically for this?

THANKS!

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-01, 09:52 AM
One of my friends had an idea like that. I'd say that you could use a silk rope tied to a crossbow with a piton attached. That's for the grappling hook, just improvise it. There's a magic item, I think in the Complete Adventurer, a spool of endless rope. Tie that to the crossbow!

However, for existing items to trip/grapple, I think that the lasso in the Book of Exalted deeds does that.

Curmudgeon
2013-05-01, 10:56 AM
Home brewing is not required here, because the bolas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#bolas) is the weapon which does what you're trying to accomplish. If you wanted to use some non-tripping improvised weapon you would need the Ranged Trip feat (Complete Warrior) and you'd still have some serious penalties. Since there's already a weapon which will accomplish what you want, just use it.

Than
2013-05-01, 12:26 PM
The Complete Scoundrel Rod of Ropes can be used to bull rush up to 30' away. It wouldn't be a far cry away from allowing trip attempts with it. If you're the DM you can technically do whatever you like. If you're a player, open a discussion with them about this. They'll help you balance it.

All else fails, there's always bolas.

Ace Nex
2013-05-01, 02:13 PM
I would rule it as a thrown weapon where, if you hit (and if you have the right feats) you and your opponent can make opposed strength checks vs trip. Removing the hook is a standard action.

Darrin
2013-05-01, 03:09 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to use grappling hooks and rope as a weapon to stop people running/flying/riding/swimming away, as a trip weapon etc. If so one could make a really cool character around it.

The net (Core), lasso (Book of Exalted Deeds) and harpoon (Frostburn) can all be used with a trailing rope and an opposed Str check to limit your opponent's movement.

As others have mentioned, there are various methods to trip as a ranged (or reach) attack.