PDA

View Full Version : So, them there fancy 'Kindles'

Senator Cybus
2013-05-01, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking of buying a Kindle Paperwhite 3G (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007OZNWRC/ref=fs_clw) for my mum - I've read through the specs on the site, but, having never used a Kindle myself, I'm still unclear on a couple of points.

Specifically, how easy is it to use? My mum's not computer literate; how fast would you expect a non-techie to pick it up?

Secondly, given that mum doesn't have a credit or debit card, is there a way that I can pay for her? By which I mean, could I 'load' the Kindle with a certain amount of credit with one of my cards, or maybe buy a redeemable voucher type thing?
I'm guessing I could just register my card to it and she can just buy stuff and give me the money at a later date, but I think we'd both be more comfortable with a set amount of cash on the device, to minimise keeping track of what she owes me.

Wow me with your e-reader knowledge, Playgrounders! :smallsmile: All answers gratefully received...

Flickerdart
2013-05-01, 11:11 AM
The Kindle is quite easy to use - I use Calibre to load books onto mine, but there's other sync software for it. You can also buy books through Whispernet without needing a computer at all.

I don't know of any way to get prepaid credit on a Kindle. It just uses the card registered to your Amazon account.

Senator Cybus
2013-05-01, 11:18 AM
You can also buy books through Whispernet without needing a computer at all.
Awesome - is that quite easy, then? It certainly looks easy on the demo video I watched.

I don't know of any way to get prepaid credit on a Kindle. It just uses the card registered to your Amazon account.
Ah, well, no matter then - that should do, if there's no other option.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Erloas
2013-05-01, 12:54 PM
I just purchased one and it showed up on Monday. So I haven't used it much, just charged it, looked at the basics, and downloaded some of the free public domain books on Amazon. It seems easy enough to use.

And yes, the books will load onto it automatically, at least as long as you are in an area where it can get a connection. With the 3G version that shouldn't be an issue, but if you go with the wi-fi version then you have to set it up for wi-fi use. Even with the 3G, just have to make sure you are in an area covered by 3G. Which seems pretty good in Europe, but if you look at the USA, I'm in one of those large white areas, just something to consider.

I assume she doesn't use Amazon at all? Not sure what all they have for payment options, because they might have something that she could use. Just getting a pre-paid credit card or gift card will let you purchase things from Amazon. Alternatively, if you tie the Kindle to your Amazon account she could purchase items through your account and you would be charged for it.

Darth Credence
2013-05-03, 03:47 PM
I've had a Kindle since the first generation, and I love it. It looks like most of your questions have been answered, but I have some experience with the payment question. You have to have a card associated with the account, but you don't have to have anything paid from it. You can buy Amazon gift cards, whether through Amazon directly or in a number of retail sites (my local grocery store sells them). Then redeem those cards on the account, and new purchases will come from that first. You can always check the available balance at their website.

Senator Cybus
2013-05-03, 09:49 PM
I just purchased one and it showed up on Monday. So I haven't used it much, just charged it, looked at the basics, and downloaded some of the free public domain books on Amazon. It seems easy enough to use.
Cool. Thanks!

And yes, the books will load onto it automatically, at least as long as you are in an area where it can get a connection. With the 3G version that shouldn't be an issue, but if you go with the wi-fi version then you have to set it up for wi-fi use. Even with the 3G, just have to make sure you are in an area covered by 3G. Which seems pretty good in Europe, but if you look at the USA, I'm in one of those large white areas, just something to consider.

I should be okay for coverage - at least according to the info on Amazon.

I've had a Kindle since the first generation, and I love it. It looks like most of your questions have been answered, but I have some experience with the payment question. You have to have a card associated with the account, but you don't have to have anything paid from it. You can buy Amazon gift cards, whether through Amazon directly or in a number of retail sites (my local grocery store sells them). Then redeem those cards on the account, and new purchases will come from that first. You can always check the available balance at their website.

Ah, interesting. So could my mum buy herself the gift card and use it to pay via the Kindle itself (inputting a code from it or some such), or would she need to give the card to me so I can apply the credit to my account, and then her book purchases would come out of that?

Apologies if these are dumb questions, but the Kindle 3G (with a power adaptor) is a fair chunk of change, so I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm buying!

horngeek
2013-05-03, 10:01 PM
VERY convenient. I've only got a few books on there right now (I tend to accumulate books slowly) but it's very handy, MUCH more convenient than carrying a whole load of novels around.

Fairly easy to use, I'd say.

GnomeFighter
2013-05-04, 01:06 PM
Ah, interesting. So could my mum buy herself the gift card and use it to pay via the Kindle itself (inputting a code from it or some such), or would she need to give the card to me so I can apply the credit to my account, and then her book purchases would come out of that?

Its best to set her up with her own amazon account, otherwise it will just start taking payments from your card when her gift card runs out. Also, it gives her everything and won't get your and her purchases confused. If there is a card on there and you buy something it will try and use her gift card first so if you mess up it could get confusing.

She can just add gift cards to the account as she gose. Not 100% sure if she can do it through the kindle interface but she could do it using the built in browser, but I don't recomend that. You may have to add them for her, but she can buy the card in the shop, phone you with the number and get you to put it in if she dose not want to mess with computers.

Also, using a kindle is how computers should be. Simple, easy and no messing around or knoledge needed.

Senator Cybus
2013-05-06, 06:02 PM
Its best to set her up with her own amazon account, otherwise it will just start taking payments from your card when her gift card runs out. Also, it gives her everything and won't get your and her purchases confused. If there is a card on there and you buy something it will try and use her gift card first so if you mess up it could get confusing.

She doesn't have a debit/credit card, though - can she still have an account, do you know?

She can just add gift cards to the account as she gose. Not 100% sure if she can do it through the kindle interface but she could do it using the built in browser, but I don't recomend that.

Oh? Why's that?

You may have to add them for her, but she can buy the card in the shop, phone you with the number and get you to put it in if she dose not want to mess with computers.

This looks like it might be the best bet. :smallsmile:

Weiser_Cain
2013-05-06, 08:31 PM
I guess if you made an amazon account for her and linked it to your card that'd work.

Hbgplayer
2013-05-07, 02:32 PM
I received a Kindle Paperwhite 3G for Christmas, and I really like it. It is super easy to use, it is really easy to read, even in bright light, and it is light weight. To purchase anything, it has to be connected to an Amazon account, so you can link that account to your card, and it deducts money automatically when purchases are made.
The Paperwhite can only do text, it cannot play video or audio, and any pictures are in Black and white, so magazines aren't all that great.
Also, with the Paperwhite, you cannot add gift cards to the Amazon account for whatever reason.