PDA

View Full Version : d&D elven hound?

CyberThread
2013-05-01, 11:37 AM
Sooooo, we all pretty much know how bad a rangers companion can suck.

My question is, the elf racial ability, where you get a elven hound.

That seems like a pretty strong and nasty creature that is more then a decent power boost.

Once per hour run action of 250 ft when doing a charge
+2 resist enchantments
scent, track
various bonus to tracking skills
Decent stats

Seems a nice compliment to the normal lackluster

Seharvepernfan
2013-05-01, 12:10 PM
It's strictly better than the PHB choices.

Did you have a question?

CyberThread
2013-05-01, 04:44 PM
no just looking for commentary

Seharvepernfan
2013-05-01, 04:59 PM
I like them, personally. I always lean towards liking elves and elven things, and these are no exception. I wish they'd say how it's a magical hybrid of a wolf and a cheetah (or something) instead of just "dog, but elven (and therefor better)".

I would allow a player to have one in my games(at level -3, not half), because ranger ACs can always use a boost. Of course, the slightly lower HP of the ranger does kinda make up for the boost.

Their only downside is the slightly lower con score.

Also, they're mentioned as being 2ft. high at the shoulder....which is pretty short. 3ft. would have made sense.

I've never seen wolves or riding dogs as lackluster, myself. I like having them just for the tracking alone, not to mention their speed/sense/decent combat ability.

tyckspoon
2013-05-01, 06:07 PM
I've never seen wolves or riding dogs as lackluster, myself. I like having them just for the tracking alone, not to mention their speed/sense/decent combat ability.

They're pretty awesome at 1st level. When you don't get it until 4th and it doesn't get any upgrades until 6th and you don't have the option of switching it to a more powerful animal until 8th? Drops off some, especially since Animal Companions tend to be a lot harder to hide or protect than Familiars. Most of the time you'd get a more useful companion for your Ranger by simply keeping your Handle Animal skill up to date and using that + Wild Empathy to make friends with things.

Otomodachi
2013-05-01, 06:38 PM
Elven Hounds. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B9_S%C3%ACth)

I knew 'em as a cu sidhe or a cooshee, but apparently they're a pan-gaelic folklore fragment.

killem2
2013-05-01, 08:09 PM
They're pretty awesome at 1st level. When you don't get it until 4th and it doesn't get any upgrades until 6th and you don't have the option of switching it to a more powerful animal until 8th? Drops off some, especially since Animal Companions tend to be a lot harder to hide or protect than Familiars. Most of the time you'd get a more useful companion for your Ranger by simply keeping your Handle Animal skill up to date and using that + Wild Empathy to make friends with things.

I let one of my rangers in my session have it at first level, wasn't a real big deal. It was ok, it saved them from the shadow I mistakely jumped on them lol

ericp65
2013-05-02, 12:55 PM
Elven Hounds. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B9_S%C3%ACth)

I knew 'em as a cu sidhe or a cooshee, but apparently they're a pan-gaelic folklore fragment.

Wow, why didn't I ever figure out why they called it a "cooshee" (which name I always found absurd). Cu sidhe puts it into clear focus for me :) Thanks for that!

CyberThread
2013-05-02, 02:00 PM
better than cooties