PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a weapon (3.whatever)

Hyde
2013-05-01, 04:53 PM
2-handed sword that also functions as a shield (of any kind)

I suppose it would look like a buster sword, but probably a little rougher.

Anyone know if this exists anywhere? can go Third-Party

Tsriel
2013-05-01, 04:57 PM
I don't. :smallfrown: I suppose you could go for a Fullblade (3.5 Arms & Equipment Guide) and talk your GM into allowing a small shield bonus when you fight defensively or use Combat Expertise with it.

eggynack
2013-05-01, 05:12 PM
Well, offhand all I can think of is the defending weapon property. It lets you split your enhancement bonus on the weapon between the attack and damage bonus and AC at the start of each turn as a free action. It's in the SRD, so it's as easy to find as anything. Better stuff will take slightly more book diving.

eggynack
2013-05-01, 05:26 PM
Here's a list of shieldish weapon enhancements I found in the magic item compendium:
Defensive surge- +1 to give a +2 to AC a few times a day when you use combat expertise or fight defensively. Evaluation: quite mediocre

Parrying- +2 to grant +1 to ac and saving throws. Evaluation: pretty mediocre, but consistent

Shielding- +1 to be able to change the sword into a heavy shield with the same enhancement bonus. Evaluation: not powerful, but might be the closest you can get in terms of flavor.

That's about all I could find for now. Shielding seems like a good fit, if you just want your sword to be able to be used as a shield sometimes.

Edit: Wait a second here, this is really easy. You don't need a weapon that's also a shield, you just need an item that's both a weapon and a shield. Optimize your character for shield bashing and go to town by beating the crap out of your enemies with your +1 shield of bashing and whatever. It seems like it could work well enough. I don't know much about the optimization of shield bashing, but I'm sure there's a way to do it out there.

Gazzien
2013-05-01, 06:21 PM
Edit: Wait a second here, this is really easy. You don't need a weapon that's also a shield, you just need an item that's both a weapon and a shield. Optimize your character for shield bashing and go to town by beating the crap out of your enemies with your +1 shield of bashing and whatever. It seems like it could work well enough. I don't know much about the optimization of shield bashing, but I'm sure there's a way to do it out there.

You're probably looking for this guy (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29801997/).

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-01, 06:22 PM
Spiked Heavy Shield!

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/images/FalknerLongShield.jpg

Hyde
2013-05-01, 06:23 PM
Shield bashing seems like a pretty reliable thing.

There's a "Shield Halberd" out of the Ultimate Equipment Series- It seems pretty close to what I want to do. Really, I wanted something that behaves like a Swordbow- it exists as a shield and a sword, and can take properties of both separately (so if I want the flat of the blade mirrored or whatever, that could be a thing without having to be constantly up the GM's ass).

Appreciate the help, gentlemangs.

GoatBoy
2013-05-01, 06:45 PM
The broadblade shortsword (Complete Adventurer, I think) grants a +1 bonus to AC when used to fight defensively. Not quite what you're looking for, but kind of the same idea.