PDA

View Full Version : Runework

Kyberwulf
2013-05-01, 08:38 PM
Hello everyone. I have been trying to find something that will allow players to use runes as forms of enchantments. I haven't found anything that does this. Does anyone know any book that allows this?

Waker
2013-05-01, 08:43 PM
Could you clarify what you mean exactly? Despite their long association with magic, runes are just an alphabet for some of the Germanic languages.
Do you mean that you want a written word based system of magic?

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-01, 08:47 PM
Runes are not often referenced. There are a few usages; symbol spells, power word spells, and runescarred berserker.

For caster classes, I believe that the Geometer, Runecaster, and Runesmith are as such. Inscribe Runes works with an otherwise normal cleric. Combine with archivist or cloistered cleric for flavor.

Kyberwulf
2013-05-01, 08:48 PM
Well, a form of magic, where the magic is tied to the runes inscribed. Glyphs or archaic forms of letters on your equipment, that kind of glow. Something that isn't tied to the traditional magic system.

Pyromancer999
2013-05-01, 09:14 PM
If you don't mind them being on a player's body, you could reflect magic and/or psionic tattoos as being runes.

Also, I believe that Super Genius Games has a bunch of rune feats for Pathfinder, if you're playing that or such material is allowed, although the name of the sources elude me at the moment.

DMVerdandi
2013-05-01, 09:15 PM
Well, a form of magic, where the magic is tied to the runes inscribed. Glyphs or archaic forms of letters on your equipment, that kind of glow. Something that isn't tied to the traditional magic system.

Not really.
There are dragonmarks, but those kinda suck.
Then there is the runesmith and runescared berserker.
The runesmith is a divine class that allows you to scribe runes on materials and touch them to cast the spell associated.

The runescarred berserker is actually pretty awesome and allows you to scribe runescars on your body, which you touch to cast the spell associated.

What YOU might want to do is just homebrew.

I would make a seidr class. Someone who knows the mystery of the runes.
Drop all the berserker stuff, have runescars AND the runesmith abilities, and give them full spellcasting, full BAB, and all good fort and will.

Let them cast off of all arcane lists.
20 runescars max. Seidr runescars are not one shot runes, but represent spells castable.
One scar can be changed per day.
No other spellcasting classes can be taken, and if there are any casting classes before taking the Seidr, they lose all of those class abilities.

Wearing magical gear shorts it out without a Use Magic Device check.

Otomodachi
2013-05-01, 09:17 PM
Runecaster lets you cast arcane spells without failure chance due to armour. Pretty fun. :D Requires race: dwarf, IIRC, though.

Kyberwulf
2013-05-01, 09:18 PM
Going to have to homebrew.... I was afraid of that. lol

Erik Vale
2013-05-01, 09:36 PM
To avoid making your own headway, look for the extended homebrew signiture, a few people have started some things but never finished.

You could modify the incantation rules by creating enchantments that take longer and require skill checks.

Rhynn
2013-05-01, 10:17 PM
Player's Guide to Faerūn has some sort of runecater PrC for divine magic. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting might have something, but the PGtF is the 3.5 book, FRCS is 3.0.

Kyberwulf
2013-05-01, 10:25 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I like that idea.

Aerlock
2013-05-02, 10:53 AM
Also you might check out the Words of Power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power) system from Pathfinder. That seems to be a very workable Rune casting system. Just re-fluff all the Words to Runes and you're golden.

- Aerlock