PDA

View Full Version : Mutagenic Hulk (3.pf prestige class PEACH)

Quiddle
2013-05-01, 08:51 PM
Mutagenic Hulk
http://oi47.tinypic.com/sw78jo.jpg
"You won't like me when I'm angry." - The Incredible Hulk

Prerequisites
To qualify to become a mutagenic hulk, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Craft(alchemy) 5 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks.
Special: Mutagen class feature, Rage class feature.

Hit Die: D10
Class Skills: The Mutagenic Hulk's class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Craft (any) (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Fly (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Extracts per Day

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Drug linked Rage, Improved Unarmed Strike|—

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Mammoth Build(1), Imminent Pain| —

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Special Recipe, Powerful Rage| +1 level of alchemist

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Powerful Build, Really Throw Anything| —

5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Unstoppable, Mammoth Build(2)| —

6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Resilient| +1 level of alchemist

7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Mind Numbing Fury| —

8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Mammoth Build(3), Resilient| —

9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Discovery| +1 level of alchemist

10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Become the Juggernaut| —

[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Mutagenic Hulk.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mutagenic hulks are proficient with all simple weapons.

Extracts per Day: At the indicated levels, a mutagenic hulk gains new extracts per day as if she had also gained a level in alchemist. She does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for extracts per day and an increased effective caster level for extracts.

Drug linked Rage (Ex): As his dependence on drugs grows, a mutagenic hulk loses control of his rage. Starting at first level a mutagenic hulk lose the ability to start and end his rages. While under the effects of his Mutagen an alchemic rager is treated as if he were under the effects of his rage as well. Mutagenic hulk levels stack with alchemist levels for determining the duration of the mutagen.

Improved Unarmed Strike (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.

Imminent Pain (Ex):If the result of a mutagenic hulk's intimidate check is lower than his strength score he may choose to replace his result with his strength score.

Mammoth Build (Ex): Starting at 2nd level when preparing a mutagen a mutagenic hulk can prepare one feat from the following list. When he is under the effect of that mutagen he gains the benefits of the selected feat.
Awesome Blow, Superior Unarmed Strike, Natural Heavy Weight, Improved GrappleEvery three levels after 2nd a mutagenic hulk can choose to prepare an additional feat.

Special Recipe (Su): When making his mutagen a mutagenic hulk may sacrifice a number of extracts equal to 1/3 his class level. For every extract that he sacrifices this way he choose a extract that he knows and add its effect to his mutagen's effect. As long as the mutagen is unused the extract slots are unusable.

Powerful Rage (Ex): As he gains levels a mutagenic hulk's rage mutagen gets stronger. Levels of mutagenic hulk stack with barbarian for the purpose of qualifying for Greater Rage and Mighty Rage(Barbarian class features) and with Alchemist for the purpose of qualifying for the Greater Mutagen and Grand Mutagen discoveries.

Really Throw Anything (Ex): As the hulking hurler (http://dndtools.eu/classes/hulking-hurler/) ability of the same name.

Powerful Build (Ex): As the racial trait of the same name.

Unstoppable (Ex): While under the effects of a mutagen a mutagenic hulk gains immunity the paralyzed, stunned, and dazed conditions.

Resilient (Ex): At sixth level when ever a mutagenic hulk takes damage he gains an amount of DR/- equal to one for every five points of damage he took. This DR doesn't stack with it's self and lasts for one round.

At eighth level he instead gains one point of DR for every three points of damage.

Mind Numbing Fury (Ex): While under the effects of a mutagen a mutagenic hulk gains immunity to mind affecting abilities.

Discovery (Su): As the alchemist ability of the same name.

Become the Juggernaut (Ex): At tenth level a mutagenic hulk can pick up an opponent that they are grappling and wield them as a improvised weapon, they are considered proficient with this improvised weapon. If he does this the mutagenic hulk loses the grappled condition. In addition half(rounded up) of any damage dealt using the grappled creature is also dealt to the creature.

So, what do you think?

LordErebus12
2013-05-01, 09:11 PM
problem, you cannot damage the hulk. that or his DR/Regeneration is so high that its futile.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-01, 09:16 PM
A link to the original Alchemist class would be nice.

Quiddle
2013-05-01, 09:23 PM
Pathfinder's Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) and Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian).

anacalgion
2013-05-01, 09:25 PM
problem, you cannot damage the hulk. that or his DR/Regeneration is so high that its futile.

Sorry, what? I'm not seeing any damage reduction or regeneration on this class.

Quiddle
2013-05-01, 09:28 PM
It is a joke. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=advsN-DfY2k)

LordErebus12
2013-05-01, 09:38 PM
Sorry, what? I'm not seeing any damage reduction or regeneration on this class.

Im referring the the ACTUAL hulk, not the class.

Rizban
2013-05-01, 11:03 PM
Mutagenic Hulk
http://oi47.tinypic.com/sw78jo.jpg
" You won't like me when I'm angry." Hulk

Prerequisites
To qualify to become a mutagenic hulk, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Craft(alchemy) 5 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks.
Special: Mutagen class feature, Rage class feature.So, it looks like you can get into this class as an Alchemist 1/Barbarian 1, not counting the skill requirements. I guess that's okay, since you still can't get in before level 6, but I'd really think you would need more than two one level dips to enter. Maybe also require that the character have a rage power or something?

Hit Die: D10
Class Skills: The Alchemic Rager's class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Craft (any) (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Fly (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifierHD makes sense. It's in the middle between the Alchemist and the Barbarian.
I see where you changed the name of the class though... Might want to double check that throughout.
Skills seem reasonable as well.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Extracts per Day

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Drug linked Rage, Improved Unarmed Strike|—

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Mammoth Build(1), Imminent Pain| —

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Special Recipe, Powerful Rage| +1 level of alchemist

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Hulking Proportions, Really Throw Anything| —

5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Unstoppable, Mammoth Build(2)| —

6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Hulking Proportions, Powerful Rage| +1 level of alchemist

7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Mind Numbing Fury| —

8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Mammoth Build(3), Hulking Proportions| —

9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Powerful Rage| +1 level of alchemist

10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Become the Juggernaut| —

[/table]10 levels and apparently packed full of stuff. I like that you've limited the "casting" from the alchemist rather than giving it full double progression. That gives me hope for the balance of this class.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Mutagenic Hulk.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mutagenic hulks are proficient with all simple weapons.This isn't really necessary. You're basically required to be alchemist/barbarian to enter this PrC, and they've both got weapon proficiencies greater than this. Seems like it would make more sense to not grant additional proficiencies.

Extracts per Day:: At the indicated levels, a mutagenic hulk gains new extracts per day as if she had also gained a level in alchemist. She does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for extracts per day and an increased effective caster level for extracts.As I mentioned above, I like that this is less than full progression. Just looking at the number of other features (which I haven't yet read), this looks like a good progression speed for extracts.

Drug linked Rage (Ex): As his dependence on drugs grows, a mutagenic hulk loses control of his rage. Starting at first level a mutagenic hulk lose the ability to start and end his rages. While under the effects of his Mutagen an alchemic rager is treated as if he were under the effects of his rage as well. Mutagenic hulk levels stack with alchemist levels for determining the duration of the mutagen.If I understand this correctly, the MH loses his ability to rage. In it's place, he gets a 10 minute/alchemist level "rage" kicker to his mutagen bonus.
Do MH levels stack for mutagen duration? If so, that could be quite a bit more powerful than anticipated. I'm not 100% sure on where this ability balances out. You have to sacrifice rage, but you get a really long rage effect if you choose to replace it; however, you have to spend an hour brewing a new mutagen to rage a second time. Frankly, I just don't know what to make of the power level of this ability. I'm going to go ahead and move on to the rest of the class...

Improved Unarmed Strike (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.Makes sense.

Imminent Pain (Ex):If the result of a mutagenic hulk's intimidate check is lower than his strength score he may choose to replace his result with his strength score.Seems reasonable, though I might suggest that this ability let him add his Str mod to his Intimidate checks in place of his Cha mod instead of what you have. As is, it's pretty neat though.

Mammoth Build (Ex): Starting at 2nd level when preparing a mutagen a mutagenic hulk can prepare one feat from the following list. When he is under the effect of that mutagen he gains the benefits of the selected feat.
Awesome Blow, Superior Unarmed Strike, Natural Heavy Weight, Improved GrappleEvery three levels after 2nd a mutagenic hulk can choose to prepare an additional feat.I like it! Seems totally reasonable. My only concern is that the feat list is only 4 feats long, and you get to choose 3 of them by 8th level. I would maybe add at least another 2 or 3 feat to the list to give this ability a little more variety.

Special Recipe (Su): When making his mutagen a mutagenic hulk may sacrifice a number of extracts equal to his class level. For every extract that he sacrifices this way he choose a extract that he knows and add its effect to his mutagen's effect. As long as the mutagen is unused the extract slots are unusable.Okay, my first thought was that he gets his slots back after using his mutagen, but that's obviously not what is intended. You might want to clarify the wording on that a little.
I'm kind of hesitant on this ability, but it's less potent with the very limited extract progression. You've already lost two levels by the time you get it, so it's not too bad. That said, instant buffing is really powerful stuff. You might want to consider limiting this to 1:2 or 1:3 class levels instead of 1:1.

Powerful Rage (Ex): As he gains levels a mutagenic hulk's rage and mutagen gets stronger becoming the values indicated in the table below.

{table=head]Level|Rage|Mutagen
3rd|+6 str +4 con -2 AC|+6 +2 +2 AC -2 mental score
6th|+6 str +6 con -2 AC|+6 +4 +2 +2 AC -4 mental score
9th|+6 str +4 con -2 AC|+6 +4 +4 +2 AC -6 mental score
[/table]Okay, this is where you're starting to lose me. I can see granting the progressions, but this seems a bit weird to me. It seems that rage actually gets weaker at 9th level?
For the rage side of things, I would just say that MH levels stack with Barbarian levels to determine when he gains Greater Rage, Tireless Rage, and Mighty Rage. That keeps it from progressing too quickly.
For the mutagen side of things, it would be nice if you defined what those numbers actually mean... I could comment better on it if I knew what it actually did. It obviously adds bonuses to something...

Really Throw Anything (Ex): As the hulking hurler ability of the same name.Requires access to a non-SRD source. I'd suggest you paraphrase the ability or create a similar so players don't have to reference other sources.

Hulking Proportions (Ex): Starting at 4th level when under the effects of a mutagen a mutagenic hulk is treated as one size category larger (max of course) when it would benefit him.
At 6th and 8th level he is treated as two and three respectively.

Unstoppable (Ex): While under the effects of a mutagen a mutagenic hulk gains immunity the paralyzed, stunned, and dazed conditions.Despite what I just said above, you should just have this grant him Powerful Build, which is in the SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant).

Mind Numbing Fury (Ex): While under the effects of a mutagen a mutagenic hulk gains immunity to mind effecting abilities.Strong but not unreasonable. (Little pet peeve, but it should be mind-affecting, not -effecting.)

Become the Juggernaut (Ex): At tenth level a mutagenic hulk can pick up an opponent that they are grappling and wield them as a improvised weapon, they are considered proficient with this improvised weapon. If he does this the mutagenic hulk loses the grappled condition. In addition half(rounded up) of any damage dealt using the grappled creature is also dealt to the creature.Seems like a neat capstone. I like it. I would probably limit it to creatures of the MH's size or smaller though.

Overall, I like this class. Seems a bit strong in places but mitigated by limitations in others. While there have been some allusions to Incredible Hulk, that is not the impression I get from this class at all. It's much more reminiscent of Jekyll/Hyde from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. With that concept in mind, I would definitely play this class. It's far more balanced than I initially expected from glancing at the class table. It definitely gets up there in the boosts, but it seems like the very limited times that you can use its abilities keeps the power levels in check.

Quiddle
2013-05-02, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I made most of the changes that you suggested and reworked how powerful rage works.

Does anyone have ideas for other feats that I could add to the mammoth build list?

wayfare
2013-05-21, 10:05 PM
It is very thematic, but the final ability seems to be just a thing you can do once you are that big.

I don't Pathfinder too often, so I might just be missing something, but Hulking Proportions seems hard to explain in game. Bane, for example, is a medium sized creature with powerful build. Hulk is a Large creature with powerful build. I'm not sure that you can extend the effects that far without actually changing size. At least, I would list it as a bonus to checks or attribute boosts rather than the lay out you currently have.

This looks really fun to play.

Quiddle
2013-05-22, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback :smallsmile:.
Ok, I replaced the additional size increases with some DR. Is that better?