PDA

View Full Version : Reach Spell - Pathfinder

navar100
2013-05-01, 09:33 PM
Reach Spell increases the range of a spell. It can even make a touch spell into a close range spell. If the touch spell is a touch attack, the spell becomes a range touch attack.

What happens with spells that aren't attacks? For example, suppose I want to cast Reach Bull's Strength on a party member 50 ft away. Does the spell just work or do I have to roll to hit? If I have to roll, what's the AC considering my party member wants the spell?

What about Cure Wounds spells? If I cast Reach Cure Wounds against an undead, that I agree is an attack and thus requires a range touch attack roll, but what if I wanted to cast it on a party member? It's no longer an attack and the party member wants the spell.

tyckspoon
2013-05-01, 09:42 PM
Looking at their version of the feat on the SRD, it would appear that the spell simply becomes a ranged (and presumably targeted) spell, so no attack roll necessary. The exception for converting a touch attack to a ranged touch attack only applies to exactly those spells. Makes Cure/Inflict a little weird because it changes behavior depending on what you're aiming it at, but then those were always kind of strange mechanically.

Morcleon
2013-05-01, 09:42 PM
Bull's Strength normally has a range of "touch". This means that, unless cast on a willing target, you must make a melee touch attack to hit. Since you're casting it on a willing target, then they can allow it to hit. Same goes for CLW.

Reach Spell just changes it so that touch spells used with reach spell are ranged touch attacks on an unwilling target rather than melee touch attacks. A willing target can still be auto-hit.

Frosty
2013-05-02, 01:41 AM
Bull's Strength normally has a range of "touch". This means that, unless cast on a willing target, you must make a melee touch attack to hit. Since you're casting it on a willing target, then they can allow it to hit. Same goes for CLW.

Reach Spell just changes it so that touch spells used with reach spell are ranged touch attacks on an unwilling target rather than melee touch attacks. A willing target can still be auto-hit.

I'd say it auto-hits unless your target is in melee with an enemy. In that case, without feats like Precise Shot, it'd make sense to make the attack roll against an AC of 10, but with a -4 penalty. If you are trying to cast CLW at range on an undead who grappling your fighter buddy, I'd even say there's a 50% chance your CLW will hit your fighter instead (if you don't have Improved Precise Shot). In this case that's not so bad. If it were another spell, however...

stack
2013-05-02, 07:29 AM
There's no 50% to hit the wrong target in PF. Engaged in melee is a flat +4 AC, I think you can get another +4 for soft cover (if the someone is between you and the target). You never hit anyone but your target though (baring certain feats like the one that let's you block a hit/get cover from someone you are grappling).

edit - body shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/body-shield-combat), so much fun for a tetori monk.