PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords (pathfinder)

Valdras
2013-05-01, 10:17 PM
Hello all,

Another fortnight another campaign of Pathfinder, I think my group has 4 running now, each with a different one of us DMing.

But anyway, the newest one is Rise of the Rune Lords, and I want to make a fun Wizard.

I'm not a huge fan of summoning, especially with them lasting almost no time at level 1, does anyone have a fun Wizard idea?

Doesn't have to be optimized, just fun, like mind controlling people or blasting.

It will be a human, and the stats are:
Str:11
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 20 (+2 bonus)
Wis: 13
Cha: 16
(I rolled well)

any ideas? We start at level 1, but I imagine we will be 3-4 fairly quickly, so I need a plan :).

Keneth
2013-05-02, 07:04 AM
White wizards can't blast. :smalltongue:

That's a sorcerer's job, or a magus's maybe, so forget blasting with a wizard. Those are sick stats though, so you can pretty much pull off any build, even a half-decent shape-shifting transmuter. Since your Charisma score is pretty high, go for Improved Familiar and Evolved Familiar (take Skilled to give it a +8 to UMD). If you don't want to be a summoner, you should probably focus on battlefield control (charm person/monster is also a decent choice with Cha 16) and buffing your allies. The small Strength surplus will also allow you use blood money for some of the more expensive spells like communal stoneskin.

I could further advise you if you share the rest of the party composition with us (assuming you know what the others are gonna play). And you do have to optimize at least to some degree, Rise of the Runelords can get extremely brutal. I just hope you're playing the anniversary edition. :smallbiggrin:

Valdras
2013-05-02, 11:24 PM
We are playing the anniversary edition, and the GM is actually re-writing it a little to suit his own personal preferences.

There is a Tengu lore warden fighter, and a human hedge Witch.

Since I made this post, I'm now considering maybe a half-elf, and taking harrowed as my first feat, so I can head towards Harrower Prestige class.

If I take Foresight, (divination subschool) I could imagine a lot of benefits of having a spare d20 roll up my sleeve, and getting a bonus to my initiative is nice too, then I just focus on enchanting/mind control.

Keneth
2013-05-03, 01:47 AM
Foresight is pretty much the best subschool to take, but I foresee a problem. Hedge witches (or just witches in general) are not damage dealers, and neither are wizards, so it falls down to the fighter and with him being a tengu lore warden (unless he has killer stats), he's not exactly gonna have a big damage output. Between you and the witch, you'd have to disable your enemies pretty efficiently to complete encounters with any degree of success.

I would hope your DM plans on changing many of the harder encounters in your favor, otherwise you might as well make yourself backup characters right now. When I run the AP, half the characters, if not the whole party, usually die in every chapter. It's not a forgiving adventure, even with the anniversary update. :smallbiggrin: