PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Craft

Kane0
2013-05-02, 12:22 AM
Hello Gitp!

In a current game I am part of I'm a human Warlock, and I intend on going down the crafting path with any feats I don't burn on Extra Invocation. So far I have Craft Wondrous Item and that about it, but my build isn't the problem here.

In the context of the gameworld Magic is a lost art. It appears from time to time but there are no archmages, magicmarts or tomes of magic power floating around. Casters exist, but each one travels a long and tough road to mastery of the art. It's a fine setting for the rediscovery of magic piece by piece, and as a Warlock I am at the front of the march of progress. But enough storytelling.

The question I pose to everyone is how would my character go about learning all the mysteries behind his magic and the ability to work it into items around him?
Would it be something that I inherently learn or know, like my newfound ability to speak Infernal and knowledge of the lower planes in general?
Would it be a case of trial and error, tinkering with mundane objects before i sleep each night until one morning I emerge from my room with a creation and no idea about it's function?
Would I be searching high and low for dusty tomes, whispered legends and other secrets in order to teach me what I need to know for my first steps in the art of crafting magic items?

If you have any ideas/opinions/experiences, please share!

Yaitanos
2013-05-02, 02:03 AM
Well, how do you WANT to go about it? A great way is trial and error. One of my favorite reasons for my characters learning to craft is: "I wonder what would happen if I do THIS?!" and hope there isn't a boom shortly afterward.

Of course there is always the option of seeking out something that innately knows how to enchant item and learn from them. Like a satyr and his pipes. Not a true magic item, but something a warlock could look to for inspiration. There is also this fey out there that has this flute/pipe thing that they can play music from and shoot out near endless torrents of spines.

So your could be trying to work his magic to emulate those abilities, and figure out how to make things work. And from there it's like learning how to cut and fold paper. Before you know it you're making swans.