PDA

View Full Version : An army of teeny golems

Yaitanos
2013-05-02, 01:51 AM
So, little bit of confusion on this nifty little creature/feature that you can get via Craft Construct, or various class abilities. Homunculi. Neat, nifty, spiffy, useful, cuddly and downright kyute little constructs that you can make and have do things. Lots of things. Not all nice things, but certainly niiice things. My question is; How many can you have?

Are they like familiars and you can only have one (unless you take the additional familiar feat)? Or are they like constructs and as long as you have the resources (and willing to give up nearly all of yer soul in process) you can build UNLIMITED cuddle bud- I mean useful helpers. I know it really hurts when they get broken. A whole 2d10 of ouch. Of course this is completely understandable. I mean, how heart-wrenching is it when some big bully breaks yer favorite toy? Totally justifies a disintegrate to the face. Totally.

So, how many can you have at a time, and if yer limited to one; how do you get more?

TuggyNE
2013-05-02, 02:25 AM
As far as I know there's no specific limit on the maximum you can have; however, note that the amount of blood required for the MMI version is about the same as a blood donation, so you can probably only make a new one about every 12 weeks. (Also, if you're a lich or necropolitan: LOL.)

Jeff the Green
2013-05-02, 02:45 AM
As far as I know there's no specific limit on the maximum you can have; however, note that the amount of blood required for the MMI version is about the same as a blood donation, so you can probably only make a new one about every 12 weeks. (Also, if you're a lich or necropolitan: LOL.)

Logically, sure, but not RAW. And if we're going with logic, lesser restoration heals the blood loss from the bite of a dire weasel and cure X wounds heals it from a bleeding weapon or such, so presumably one of the two will get you ready to build another one.

Yaitanos
2013-05-02, 02:57 AM
Not worried about the blood loss, as that won't be an issue at the level I can make them. But a friend said that he found a feat that allows for an additional homunculus so you can't have a second without the feat. But for the life of me, I cannot find it. Google has failed me. I can't find anything that says you can't, but all kinds of vague wordings in the books that alludes to having multiple.

DonDuckie
2013-05-02, 10:21 AM
Not worried about the blood loss, as that won't be an issue at the level I can make them. But a friend said that he found a feat that allows for an additional homunculus so you can't have a second without the feat. But for the life of me, I cannot find it. Google has failed me. I can't find anything that says you can't, but all kinds of vague wordings in the books that alludes to having multiple.

I don't know that feat, but if it says "additional homunculus", then that's it... only one for you. If it says extra familiar, then there is no limit on homunculi...

I see no reason why you couldn't have more than one, they just can't be familiars...

higher levels don't grant you more blood :), and as long as your character is not small or smaller, a pint isn't too high a price.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-02, 10:55 AM
Get regeneration. Then that pint of blood is refreshed in maybe an hour. It also turns all that damage from destroyed minions into non-lethal damage. Become immune to that and you can be the immortal robot king!

Skysaber
2013-05-02, 03:22 PM

I have read a ridiculous quantity of third party material and never come across such a feat. I've even spent the last month or so researching golems/constructs, both official and third, so I've had my eye out.

There are feats that grant additional familiars. It is also possible to take your homunculus AS a familiar (although very little point, as that line "a homunculus knows what its master does" most often gets interpreted that it gets to use your skill ranks when those are better than its own, and since it already has a better mental link to you than a familiar does, there's not much point in making it your familiar - except to give it Evasion, but you can even give it that. Just take the Improved Homunculus feat from Magic of Eberron while you are creating them, and choose Evasion as the special ability to grant them).

So my best guess is your friend saw: Extra Familiar feat + Homunculi are familiars = Extra Homunculus.

But by the rules you can have more homunculi than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

BTW, several groups, mine among them, play with a homebrewed feat called Secure Bond, where you no longer suffer negative effects from the loss of a familiar/special mount/homunculus/whatever. I recommend it.

hamishspence
2013-05-02, 03:30 PM
Dragon 341 (March 2006) had the some of the smallest constructs I've seen that are actually called Golems- the Paper Golems- Small size, very cheap, very low CR, but good at critical hits (wide crit range, high crit multiplier).

Death By Origami, so to speak.

Yaitanos
2013-05-02, 09:57 PM
Been on safari for over three hours and nothing. Not even a trace of the feat. I do see the whole familiar thing, but I won't be taking these as familiars. So when next I talk to him I'll chat about it with him. I want my army of plushies!

As for the whole blood thing, no higher levels don't give you more blood. But it does give you ways to get that blood back faster. Lesser Restoration comes to mind immediately.

I know of the paper, wax, junk golems. But they aren't small enough. I know how to make what I want, just apparently not how to get an army of them.