PDA

View Full Version : forgotten realms adventure advices for DM

malkuth
2013-05-02, 02:46 AM
Hello everyone,

It is weird to say but as a DM for 15 years, it is my first time playing forgotten realms. we played dragonlance or 1-2 shot games of my own till now. Now my players want to have a bond with their characters and a game that we can play for years.

Until high levels, I want to make them play ready adventures with a little touch of mine own. and give some of my own quests between these ready adventures. Because I am not so familier with the setting these ready adventures are helpful to give better detail of the realm, so that they can imagine where their characters are in a larger scale. It will help both my players and me to learn about the realms.

We have already started in cormyr. Now they are level 2. my plan is to make them play:

sword of dales/spiderhunt/randal morn as they are close to dales and I can easily tie the story.

tearing of the weave maybe as they will be level 4-5 meantime

marco volo adventures maybe? or storm riders, black courser, blood charge

castle spulzeer as I want them to visit ravenloft afterwards.

the problem is I don't know the timelines well or if any of these adventures suck or if there are much greater ones to play. For example: Avatar triology seemed so cool but the events were so big for all realms and that affects both my main plot and the other adventures that I took it from the list.

so any suggestions or comments of adventures will be highly appreciated. It doesn't matter if the level requirements crash at a point if it can be fixed by giving less xp and level up slower. and I don't know the timelines but in our games, mystra and later dead gods are still alive and the paladins are lawful good :)

sorry for my english and thanks for your helps.

ericp65
2013-05-02, 12:49 PM
The timeline is found in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. There are tons of possibilities for adventuring, depending on what year you decided on as the start of your campaign. Even if you don't play the Avatar Trilogy events, you can assume them to happen anyway (the same could be said for any adventures you don't necessarily want to involve the player characters in, but want to preserve continuity in the game setting). You could adapt earlier edition materials, as well. The Bloodstone series (H1 - H4) might interest you as something to adapt to the rules you use. Same goes for any other given adventure published before 3.x.

Asteron
2013-05-02, 01:30 PM
What year are you playing in, the one set forth in the Campaign Setting or some other year? Note that the Avatar Trilogy takes place about 15-20 years before the timeline in the 3.5 Campaign Setting.

I played through Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave and its sequal Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land and enjoyed them both. We are currently in the 3rd adventure Annouroch: Empire of Shade but are too early to know if it's good or not.

Red Hand of Doom can be ported to Forgotten Realms rather easily. I just started playing it in a new campaign set in the Forgotten Realms.

There are quite a few others, but I don't know how good they are.