View Full Version : Knowledge (Music) ["You can't perform that piece with only TWO hands!"]

Arcanist
2013-05-02, 05:49 AM
Does anyone have any idea what would be the go to skill for identifying music? It is not an old piece, it is not legendary, there is nothing abnormal about it beyond the person playing it. It is just a song newly created song created by a Bard.

What methods can you use to identify... WELL anything disconcerting from the music?

SilverLeaf167
2013-05-02, 06:03 AM
I would say Knowledge (local), but allow the character to substitute a relevant Perform skill as well. (Local) explicitly includes traditions, which most of older music probably counts as, but is usually also considered to include things such as current events and streetwise, either of which (especially the former) would help you recognize a more recent piece. Most music is also made by humanoids, which fall under (Local).

Jack Zander
2013-05-02, 11:13 AM
By RAW you just can't identify class features at all. But Knowledge Local seems like a good fit for such a thing.

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-02, 11:15 AM
I would say perform or profession, local seems just a bit odd for it.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-05-02, 11:18 AM
I'd say Bardic Knowledge check would be a give, otherwise Knowledge(history) to identify an old tune/lyrics or Knowledge(local) to identify something contemporary, with a +2 synergy bonus if the character had 5 or more ranks in the appropriate perform skill.