PDA

View Full Version : DN Prestige Classes?

AWiz_Abroad
2013-05-02, 08:26 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for where to take my Dread Necromancer after Level 8 (huzzah for minionmancy). Already Necropolitan, so I've got that worked out.

Party role is backup meleer currently, behind a Barbarian. I'm not really specing HARD for minionmancy, as me and the DM worked out a gentlemen's agreement. I can have some nice things, but predominantly, the minions will be used to guard camps or transport, not combat.

Any thoughts?

Amphetryon
2013-05-02, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for where to take my Dread Necromancer after Level 8 (huzzah for minionmancy). Already Necropolitan, so I've got that worked out.

Party role is backup meleer currently, behind a Barbarian. I'm not really specing HARD for minionmancy, as me and the DM worked out a gentlemen's agreement. I can have some nice things, but predominantly, the minions will be used to guard camps or transport, not combat.

Any thoughts?

In before the great "Is level 8 the right drop-off point for DN" debate.

Dread Witch is a pretty good addition to DN. I'm also a fan of adding Nightmare Spinner, if you're not going for hardcore minionmancy.

mangosta71
2013-05-02, 08:59 AM
If you're already undead, Tainted Scholar.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-05-02, 09:19 AM
Tainted Scholar is a step too far as far as cheese goes. I do like Nightmare Spinner quite a bit.

The Viscount
2013-05-02, 04:29 PM
Playing up the fear aspect is a pretty good way to do it, a fun angle if you don't mind the fact that your HD cap for minions will go no higher.

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-02, 04:33 PM
Sand Shaper if you can qualify might be interesting, it does increase your spells known by a large amount. You lose a caster level though.

Pale Master is always one of my favorites, might not be the best but it does give you free animate dead which is nice if you don't get it from other means.

Waker
2013-05-02, 05:20 PM
I would have to dig around in the books, but I think the DN can qualify for the Malconvoker PrC from Complete Scoundrel.
If you are of an evil bent, you could go the Ur Priest/Mystic Theurge route.
For being really silly, you could go be a Rainbow Dreadsnake.
You could double up on the dark, mysterious angle by going with Eldritch Theurge.

Bakeru
2013-05-02, 05:25 PM
I would have to dig around in the books, but I think the DN can qualify for the Malconvoker PrC from Complete Scoundrel. Malconvocer needs Summon Monster 3, DNs only get the Summon Undead chain.

CyberThread
2013-05-02, 05:31 PM
talantar blightlord is a pretty good one :)

Waker
2013-05-02, 05:46 PM
Malconvocer needs Summon Monster 3, DNs only get the Summon Undead chain.

Hmm, suppose they could take the Arcane Disciple feat to grab the Summoning Domain.

Amphetryon
2013-05-02, 05:53 PM
Hmm, suppose they could take the Arcane Disciple feat to grab the Summoning Domain.

Or a level of Contemplative, though they'd miss out on the capstone (and more) of Pale Master with that route.

Waker
2013-05-02, 06:25 PM
Or a level of Contemplative, though they'd miss out on the capstone (and more) of Pale Master with that route.

The capstone is nice, but Malconvoker gives you more stuff at lower levels. Longer lasting summons, stronger summons (the bonus HP is especially useful for undead), not to mention adding the Planar Binding to your spell list. Of course, all of this is moot if the OP's DN is of an evil alignment.

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-02, 10:10 PM
The capstone is nice, but Malconvoker gives you more stuff at lower levels. Longer lasting summons, stronger summons (the bonus HP is especially useful for undead), not to mention adding the Planar Binding to your spell list. Of course, all of this is moot if the OP's DN is of an evil alignment.

But why would a Dread Necromancer WANT Malconvoker O.o. The dread necromancer can't reduce summons to a standard action (easily anyway), has the less useful summon undead list and also it loses a caster level. And the DN already has planar binding, he doesn't have magic circle on his spell list though (I suggest either spell stich for it or get another caster).