PDA

View Full Version : GM question about treasure and things picked up

frost890
2013-05-02, 12:48 PM
I have kind of a two part question. I am starting to DM my own games (D7D and star wars, with looking at trying out a super powers game). But I have seen some of my players get things that were never intended. Like a couple of droids in star wars. I figured they earned it but is there a good rule for keeping they from picking up too many things?

The second part is: What is a good rule for selling things that are not in the book. I ran a premade adventure that had a few items I can’t find any ware. (Net launcher and a poison dart launcher to be specific.) Any help is appreciated.

OzymandiasX
2013-05-02, 01:04 PM
I figured they earned it but is there a good rule for keeping they from picking up too many things?As a GM, you control the supply of in-game cash and items. It may take a while, but you'll get a feel for how much you can give the players without it being enough for them to abuse it. Generally you won't want to limit anything that is mundane if they really want to purchase it.

If they're doing stuff that is unbalancing the flow of the game (like investing all their money in combat droids) you may have to either re-balance things (like start using more EMP or ion weapons)...

If they're just buying tons and tons of items that they are carrying at all times you may want to start enforcing carrying limits of some sort, even if you just use common sense.

The second part is: What is a good rule for selling things that are not in the book. I ran a premade adventure that had a few items I can’t find any ware. (Net launcher and a poison dart launcher to be specific.) Any help is appreciated.
Usually you'd look for something that is similar in usefulness and power. If you can't find anything, make something up. Not randomly, of course... if it is an item that isn't in the book because it is super-rare, it would be worth a lot. If it isn't in the book because it isn't particularly useful, it might not be sellable at all.

Also keep in mind that the money they make from vendoring loot will be spent to buy more stuff as mentioned in your first question. :)