PDA

View Full Version : two quick questions, both half-ogre related

gurgleflep
2013-05-02, 02:37 PM
I'm looking at Races of Destiny and Savage species because they both have half-ogres and I wanted to see if there was a difference. The only one I could find between the two of them was their level adjustment.
Races of Destiny gave it a +2 LA while Savage Species gave it a +1. Is one of the books 3.0 while the other's 3.5 or something? :smallconfused:

Also, while I'm on the subject of half-ogres, I've been meaning to ask: is there a 3.0/5 book I could find the ogrillon in? I can't find it anywhere :smallfrown:

Big Fau
2013-05-02, 02:44 PM
Savage Species is 3.0 by a technicality: It was one of the last 3.0 books published prior to the 3.5 update. Races of Destiny was well into 3.5's shelf life.

gurgleflep
2013-05-02, 02:44 PM
Savage Species is 3.0 by a technicality: It was one of the last 3.0 books published prior to the 3.5 update. Races of Destiny was well into 3.5's shelf life.

Okay, so the +2 LA's the more appropriate one then. Thank you :smallsmile:

Big Fau
2013-05-02, 03:02 PM
Okay, so the +2 LA's the more appropriate one then. Thank you :smallsmile:

It really depends on the levels you will be playing at. At levels below 7th or so, the Half-Ogre template is going to be a powerhouse. Once you get past 9th or so, the template's benefits start to drop off really fast.

A +6 Str, +2 Con, large size, and +4 Nat Armor are not that big of a deal at 10th level, and are barely even relevant at 20th level. For the record the ability score adjustments are around the same level as the Lolth-touched template (a +1 LA from a book much later in 3.5's life), and some of the bonuses you get from being Large-sized are valued at +1 LA as well (Goliath, Half-Giant).

Really, you are paying the second +1 LA for the melee reach. That really isn't worth the extra level loss at 10th or higher, as the difference between being 10ft away from a Great Wyrm Red Dragon and being 5ft away from it is who is if there's a really annoying guy snack standing between you and the dragon.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-02, 08:20 PM
For future questions of this nature, you can easily compare the books' publication dates to see which is more recent. The D&D 3.5 core books came out in the summer of 2003.

LOTRfan
2013-05-02, 08:28 PM
Pathfinder has both the Orog and the Ogrillion in its srd.

gurgleflep
2013-05-02, 09:48 PM
For future questions of this nature, you can easily compare the books' publication dates to see which is more recent. The D&D 3.5 core books came out in the summer of 2003.

So 2003 is the opening date for 3.5, thank you :smallsmile:

Pathfinder has both the Orog and the Ogrillion in its srd.

Thank you :smallbiggrin: I'll look it up now!

SaintRidley
2013-05-02, 09:57 PM
So 2003 is the opening date for 3.5, thank you :smallsmile:

I believe it's July 2003, specifically. Savage Species is 2003, but February and thus a few months before 3.5.

gurgleflep
2013-05-02, 09:58 PM
I believe it's July 2003, specifically. Savage Species is 2003, but February and thus a few months before 3.5.

Thank you for being more specific on the date :smallbiggrin:

TypoNinja
2013-05-03, 01:46 AM
There is also a lesser stated and medium sized version of the Half-Ogre in the DLCS, chances are you aren't playing in that setting, but its a handy reference if you want a Half-Ogre and think +2 is too much.

gurgleflep
2013-05-03, 12:40 PM
There is also a lesser stated and medium sized version of the Half-Ogre in the DLCS, chances are you aren't playing in that setting, but its a handy reference if you want a Half-Ogre and think +2 is too much.

We aren't playing in any particular setting, so we draw from nearly all sources. We're a relaxed group.
Just as an example: I've got some gatormen from the monsternomicon (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8a1m?Iron-Kingdoms-Monsternomicon-Volume-I-Denizens-of-the-Iron-Kingdoms) in the swamp (reptilian template didn't fit my needs as much as I would have hoped).