PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones/D&D

Chirios
2013-05-02, 06:45 PM
Given their respective attributes, what d&d 3.5e classes do you thin the GoT characters would pick if they had the option?

This is not what classes best describe GoT, for example:

Tyrion is highly charismatic, intelligent, and wise, but not particularly strong or agile, therefore he would pick sorcerer, etc.

Secondly, how would the story change if, as of the first season, the characters became those classes but at level one?

Averis Vol
2013-05-03, 04:04 AM
Lets see. I feel like john snow would be a ranger, as he is able to survive in harsh terrain, knows his way around weaponry of most sorts, is good with animals and has a hatred for Wights (So, undead for favored enemy.)

Arya is a swashbuckler or a rogue focused on the duelist aspect. I'm going to leave it there to avoid spoilers.

Jamie is a warblade. Pretty cut and dry choice for the best swordsman in Westeros.

I'd put Khal Drogo at barbarian. Don't think he'd want it any other way.

Ned Stark would probably fit as a paladin.

Bran is most likely a druid.

aaaaaaaand thats about it for the characters I care about.

EDIT: anyone with any moderate intelligent would probably vie for wizard, seeing as they kinda rule the world when given the choice. Definately a top pick for Tywin.

Lost
2013-05-03, 09:46 AM
Mayhaps...

Robert I Baratheon - Barbarian - Nothing but the open road and a warhammer to smash things.

Cersei Lannister - Sorcerer - when your enemies defy you, serve them fire and lightning.

Sansa Stark - Bard - all those pretty songs, just like the stories.

Catelyn Stark - Cleric - cast cure critical wounds.

Kiero
2013-05-03, 01:24 PM
The real question is "who isn't a Fighter"? Because it's wall-to-wall Fighter in there.

maxriderules
2013-05-03, 01:36 PM
What about Tyrion? I'm going to go with an expert with a focus on diplomacy; I would say Bard but he'd be better at combat as a bard, so I reckon he's just a min/maxed NPC class.

SilverLeaf167
2013-05-03, 02:23 PM
The real question is "who isn't a Fighter"? Because it's wall-to-wall Fighter in there.
The question was "what would they pick if they had the option", not "how would one build them". Also, a lot of characters definitely aren't Fighters even in canon, like Sansa, that fire priestess whose name I can't remember, Cersei, Tyrion and all the maesters. A lot of the Night's Watch would be Rangers, too, and one could easily think of some Barbarians.

I agree with most of the other ideas presented here.

EDIT:

What about Tyrion? I'm going to go with an expert with a focus on diplomacy; I would say Bard but he'd be better at combat as a bard, so I reckon he's just a min/maxed NPC class.
Bard would actually work quite well... he doesn't suck at combat all that much once he gets up to it; his medium BAB and lack of proficiencies would create quite an appropriate gap to all the martial classes in the world while still making him better at it than a random commoner. He also gives quite an effective inspiring speech when King's Landing is under siege.

maxriderules
2013-05-03, 04:48 PM
Dammit, need to read the OP more carefully. But yeah, I'd forgotten about his inspiring speech. I guess a diplomacy focused bard, with a low strength and speed. So, a Halfling? Explains slow speed and high charisma, skill focus:Diplomacy and use of charm person describe how he dealt with wildlings and Bronn in the first book.

As for Bronn, I'd go a rogue. He focuses on maneuverability instead of heavy armor, and isn't above fighting pragmatically.

Malak'ai
2013-05-03, 05:06 PM
Lets see. I feel like john snow would be a ranger, as he is able to survive in harsh terrain, knows his way around weaponry of most sorts, is good with animals and has a hatred for Wights (So, undead for favored enemy.)

Arya is a swashbuckler or a rogue focused on the duelist aspect. I'm going to leave it there to avoid spoilers.

Jamie is a warblade. Pretty cut and dry choice for the best swordsman in Westeros.

I'd put Khal Drogo at barbarian. Don't think he'd want it any other way.

Ned Stark would probably fit as a paladin.

Bran is most likely a druid.

aaaaaaaand thats about it for the characters I care about.

EDIT: anyone with any moderate intelligent would probably vie for wizard, seeing as they kinda rule the world when given the choice. Definately a top pick for Tywin.

I'd say Jamie is just a straight fighter with a decent CHA bonus. He might have a slightly higher INT than average, though he really is just a one trick pony.

Averis Vol
2013-05-03, 08:14 PM
I'd say Jamie is just a straight fighter with a decent CHA bonus. He might have a slightly higher INT than average, though he really is just a one trick pony.

What do you mean he's a one trick pony? I mean, and this may just be me being dull, but he is fairly cunning; he got a king to turn his back to him so he could put a sword through it. He won the kings turney, using a number of different weapons and different styles, and as of a dance has never been bested in a fight. Warblade and fighter have become synonymous, but thats not even the point. The point was what class they would choose if given the choice.

Malak'ai
2013-05-03, 08:35 PM
What I mean is that all he is good at is fighting.
The Mad King "turned his back" because he was trying to run away while Jamie killed his Pyromancer, not because the King Slayer did or said anything else.
Apart from one heartfelt speech, Jamie Lannister doesn't do, or show any prowess at, anything other than combat. Just because he uses different weapons doesn't mean he's anything other than a fighter.
As for cunning... No. He's not. Out of his family he's most straight talking, and he has never shown any ability when it comes to The Game, other than doing what his father or sister tell him to do (at least until DwD when he even stops doing that).

Lost
2013-05-03, 08:46 PM
Davos Seaworth would have a Paladin with deity "Stannis".

Dienekes
2013-05-03, 11:01 PM
The Mad King "turned his back" because he was trying to run away while Jamie killed his Pyromancer, not because the King Slayer did or said anything else.
Apart from one heartfelt speech, Jamie Lannister doesn't do, or show any prowess at, anything other than combat. Just because he uses different weapons doesn't mean he's anything other than a fighter.
As for cunning... No. He's not. Out of his family he's most straight talking, and he has never shown any ability when it comes to The Game, other than doing what his father or sister tell him to do (at least until DwD when he even stops doing that).

I would actually disagree come Feast For Crows where he does make a trick or two. Not Tywin or Tyrion level true, but some are actually pretty clever.

But this is about what a character wants to be not what they are.

Tyrion is charismatic, but he values his intelligence even higher. I'd say Wizard over Sorcerer or Bard.

Tywin only values power, so he would try and learn the Tier list and pick the best. So wizard for him too.

A lot of characters see themselves or want to be great warriors, so a lot would pick Warblades, Crusaders, or Paladins.

Sandor would pick Fighter and look down on everyone in a more fanciful class for trying to dress up what they're doing. Sadly, this also makes him probably the worst warrior when he was once one of the best.

Averis Vol
2013-05-04, 01:14 AM

I could agree with that assessment in the stark reality of the world, but this thread is about what he would want to be. Given the choice I doubt anyone with half a brain would be a fighter over a warblade. You also look over the mind games he plays with the stark family (Planning his escape without having the idea spoon fed to him by his family), brienna and how he tricks vargo hoat into leaving brienna.....Intact. He's a lot smarter than you seem to give him credit for.

Barsoom
2013-05-04, 01:15 AM
Daenerys: Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold. There, I said it.

Averis Vol
2013-05-04, 01:16 AM
Daenerys: Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold. There, I said it.

Isn't there a dragonrider PrC out there somewhere? There are times when I feel Prestige classes fit a char better then base classes, and I just couldn't justify giving them the required class levels to actually get into the class because it would make very little sense.

Fallbot
2013-05-04, 05:45 AM

That's pretty unfair. It's true that throughout the early books he lets his family do all his thinking for him, but in a Feast for Crows he actually thinks for himself and, as Dienekes says, pulls off a trick or too, and offers advice that shows he has a decent understanding of the game, even if he doesn't play it - he's ignored, but the advice is good.

Certainly he's not as smart as Tywin or Tyrion, but that hardly means he's stupid.

Chirios
2013-05-06, 10:30 AM
Yeah but Jamie enjoys fighting, more than he enjoys anything else really, so picking straight fighter would appeal rather than going for a min maxing.

Tywin on the other hand would be a wizard, because he likes power and hates the gods so wouldn't be a cleric.

Razanir
2013-05-06, 11:16 AM

Arry, Bran, Melisandre, the Dothraki...

How I would assign classes as of about a third of the way through Storm of Swords halfway to the Red Wedding
(More detailed, more spoilery location in white text)

Arry: Rogue (Okay, I know a bit of what happens to her later)
Bran and Melisandre: Adepts (Full casting only exists in Qarth)
The Night's Watch: Rangers, maybe a few Horizon Walkers
Ned: Paladin
Sansa: Aristocrat. Stupid lame fluffy NPC class for my least favorite character
Robb: Fighter, but a build similar to :roy:
Tyrion: Halfing Bard, or else a fighter with a Cha build
Daenerys: I almost want to say Aristocrat. Not that she's a lame character; just that I can't think of much else. She probably has a level or two in Barbarian from her time as khaleesi.
Khal Drogo: Barbarian

What I can imagine people taking:

Arry: Assassin
Bran: Druid
Melisandre: CN Cleric
Stannis: Paladin of Freedom (serving R'hllor)
Robb: Something from ToB
Tyrion: Something good for diplomancy
Daenerys: Dragon Disciple, after a couple levels of sorcerer for pre-reqs
Khal Drogo: Remember the Bearbarian build? The one where they stacked every bear-related thing possible into one class? Yeah. He'd do the same with horses. At the very least a Druid with a horse companion and who always wildshapes into a horse

Razanir
2013-05-06, 11:17 AM
Tywin on the other hand would be a wizard, because he likes power and hates the gods so wouldn't be a cleric.

Ur-priest? :smallfurious: :smallbiggrin:

All I know is that Ur-priests are pretty much the atheists of Cleric society and steal magic from the gods