PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul

NikitaDarkstar
2013-05-02, 06:50 PM
So I got a question about the Favored Soul. Is there any way to get a Favored Soul to only have one casting stat (cha or wis doesn't matter) and get them a few domains?

Alternatively, is there any way to get a cleric to be a spontaneous caster instead of a prepared one?

Or is there a class out there that would work in a similar manner?

Oh, and this needs to be at level 5.

Aegis013
2013-05-02, 07:00 PM
So I got a question about the Favored Soul. Is there any way to get a Favored Soul to only have one casting stat (cha or wis doesn't matter) and get them a few domains?

Alternatively, is there any way to get a cleric to be a spontaneous caster instead of a prepared one?

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a particularly good way of getting Favored Soul down to one casting stat, getting domains on them can be done via PrC or by something like Southern Magician feat + Arcane Disciple feat.

Rainbow Servant on a class like Warmage or Beguiler is the closest to spontaneous Cleric aside from Favored Soul.

There's no class that I know of.

Waker
2013-05-02, 07:14 PM

1. Lost Tradition feat from Bastards and Bloodlines. Lets you choose your casting stat.
2. Domains are grabbed easiest by taking certain PrCs like Contemplative or Divine Oracle.
3. Spontaneous Clerics are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm).
4. Rainbow Servant is probably the easiest way to get spontaneous cleric casting outside of being a Favored Soul or using the above mentioned variant.

Gnaeus
2013-05-02, 07:18 PM
If Pathfinder content is in play, Oracle is much like a favored soul with domains. It is on the PFSRD

The Ogre
2013-05-02, 08:42 PM
If you want to reduce the MAD for the Favored Soul, just ask the DM if they would just house rule it so that your spell DCs and casting stat are based off your CHA score. It's not like the Favored Soul is anywhere near the power level of a cleric or druid.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-02, 08:56 PM
So I got a question about the Favored Soul. Is there any way to get a Favored Soul to only have one casting stat (cha or wis doesn't matter)The closest things printed by WotC are the Tainted Sorcerer and Tainted Scholar prestige classes, which cast from their taint scores. There are a few feats that compress ability scores in well-known third party supplements, and it would be a pretty reasonable homebrew feat.

...and get them a few domains?
For this sort of question, you'll probably want to bookmark or get used to googling Surreal's invaluable Lists of Stuff. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1412.0) It'll answer 95% of those questions with a quick scroll. In this case:

Bonus Domains

Church Inquisitor 1, ecl 4, Complete Divine – Inquisition
Contemplative 1, 6/10, ecl 11, Complete Divine – Any one
Divine Oracle 1, ecl 6 Complete Divine – Oracle
Radiant Servant of Pelor 5, ecl 11, Complete Divine – Glory or Purification
Rainbow Servant 1, 4, 7/10, Complete Divine – Good, Air, Law (in that order)
Seeker of the Misty Isle 1, 7/10, Complete Divine – Travel, Magic
Temple Raider of Olidammara 10, Complete Divine – Luck
Warpriest 1, ecl 6, Complete Divine – Glory or Domination
Holt Warden 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, plant
Ordained Champion 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, war domain or any other by your deity

Sovereign Speaker 1-9/9, ecl 6, Faiths of Eberron – *9 bonus Domains* (1 per level), selection restrictions, see text
Singer of Concordance 2, ecl 7, Races of the Dragon - choose from: dragon, healing, knowledge, magic, strength, travel, wealth
Cloistered Cleric 1, Unearthed Arcana - Knowledge Domain, plus any two others as a standard Cleric

Divine Disciple 4, ecl ?, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3.0) – any one of your diety’s Domains
Dracolyte 1, ecl 6, Draconomicon - Glory or Domination
Wavekeeper 1, ecl 6, Stormwrack, choose: Blackwater, Ocean, Storm or Water
Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Arachnomancer 1, ecl 6, Drow of the Underdark, spider domain
Swift Wing 1, ecl 5, Dragon Magic - Dragon
Earthshaker 1, ecl 9, Dragon 314 p.58, Earth domain

Faiths and Pantheons
Wearer of Purple 1 – one bonus Domain from the following; Death, Evil or Scalykind (requires Iron Will, Spell Focus (necromancy))
Gondsman 3 – one bonus Domain from the following; Craft, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Metal or Planning (requires Craft Wondrous Item, Skill Focus (craft))
Horned Harbringer 1 – Death
Auspician 1 – Fate (requires Dodge, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes)
*Windwalker 1 – Air and Travel Domain spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)
*Waveservant 1 – Ocean spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)
*Silverstar 1 – Moon Domain spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)

Special Mention
Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment), feat, Planar Handbook, gain access to a domain power and spells, see text
Heretic of Faith, feat, Power of Faerun (p.46), stray from your path, exchange domain spells, etc, see text

But as a heads-up, Favored Souls' casting mechanic can be frustrating with bonus domains (the spells don't come free; you need to spend spells known for them), but it does open a couple tricks for customizing your favored soul's spell list by picking and choosing domain spells known with the Substitute Domain spell. (You can use it to do stuff like pick Haste from the Time domain at level 6, then sub the domain out for Travel by level 8 to learn Dimension Door.)

And definitely check out the PF Oracle. It's like the Favored Soul, but actually fleshed out with interesting class features and a less conspicuously nerfed casting mechanic.

NikitaDarkstar
2013-05-02, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys! You gave me a few things to think about, sadly PF stuff is not in play so Oracle is not an option (otherwise I would have been looking at that). The alternative feature for a spontaneous is most likely my best bet in this case since that basically does what I want, and the only hoop to jump through is getting my DM to go for it. If he doesn't I know what to look for with the favored soul.

Zombulian
2013-05-02, 11:15 PM
Oh just by the way there's a feat called Dynamic Priest from Dragonlance that keys everything to Cha.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-02, 11:51 PM
Dynamic Priest does nothing for favored souls. It only changes maximum spell level and bonus spells to charisma which a favored soul already has. It does not affect save DCs.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-03, 08:05 AM
Oh just by the way there's a feat called Dynamic Priest from Dragonlance that keys everything to Cha.

Speaking of the Dragonlance Campaign setting, have you checked out the Mystic base class? Wis-based spontaneous caster with automatic access to one domain (and if that domain is the Sun Domain, you get Turn Undead). Of course, the saves are a step down from FS, but you can't win everything, eh?