PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding an assassin divine PrC.

The Ogre
2013-05-02, 08:59 PM
Are there any assassin themed prestige classes for divine casters?

I'm aware of the Black Flame Zealot in Complete Divine, Ruby Knight Vindicator in Tome of Battle, and the Shadowbane Inquisitor in Complete Adventurer. The Zealot is out of the question since the prerequisites and caster progression are horrible. My DM isn't using Tome of Battle so the RKV is out. I don't want to be stuck playing LG in a party full of morally questionable characters so the Inquisitor is off my list.

I don't mind if the prestige class misses 1 or 2 caster levels, but not too many.

Appreciate any and all help you guys would give. Thanks.

Maginomicon
2013-05-02, 11:42 PM
Well there's the avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) (the literal good-equivalent assassin), but that's arcane.

T.G. Oskar
2013-05-03, 06:16 AM
I guess that leaves the Shadowspy (Complete Champion) out of the question, as its progression is horrible (1 CL every 2 levels), and the abilities are...questionable, at least. Mostly using light and shadows. Also, you require being any good.

Justice of Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin, FR) has a stronger assassin feel and doesn't force you to be evil, netting you SA and Death Attack, but the spells have no actual descriptor (i.e. they aren't defined as arcane or divine). However, it has its own progression, with a small chunk of spells (though the ones that boost arrows are pretty nice; the class is meant to be some sort of ranged assassin). You can gauge it to be divine as it requires good Wisdom to use, but otherwise, it has no actual descriptor. But, again, it has its own spell list.

Eye of Lolth has a similar problem to Shadowspy: it advances divine spellcasting, 1 CL every 2 levels. It also forces you to be a drow, have the specific domain of Trickery (which means you have to be a cleric, hence you have to be forcefully female...), and it's somewhat team-centric.

Waker
2013-05-03, 08:42 PM
Not much that I can find as far as Divine Assassin types. That seems to be mostly the purview of Arcane. The only decent class that I could find is Spellwarp Sniper.

Callin
2013-05-03, 08:48 PM
Honestly the best bet is the Shadowbane Stalker from Complete Adventurer IF you can convince the DM to get rid of the Alignment restriction. Its pretty stupid anyways for the class but it fits the "theme" they were going for with the Order of Illumination.

Seriously though. Get the DM to waive it.

Blueiji
2013-05-03, 08:58 PM
Rich Burlew himself made this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9623145&postcount=7) one.

You don't need to sacrifice three caster levels if you dip one level of rogue and one of another class that grants sneak attack, such as Assassin.

I would do something like Rogue 1/Archivist 4/Assassin 1/Divine Trickster 10.

Pick up Able Learner at first level to make skill requirements for Assassin and Divine Trickster easier. Cleric or Cloistered Cleric could work in place of Archivist, but Archivist has better INT synergy with Rogue and Assassin. Academic Priest would be a useful feat to reduce multiple ability dependence. You'll want the Practiced Spellcaster feat to compensate for you lost caster levels.

You end up with a semi-respectable sneak attack, divine casting only one spell level behind, a few arcane assassin spells, lot's of skill points, and you'll only really have to invest in intelligence to be functional (though you'll want CON for survivability, STR or DEX for combat, you won't need CHA or WIS at all).

Archivist can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3).

kulosle
2013-05-03, 10:52 PM
I've tried so many times to make this and to be honest, the easiest thing to do is PMM cleric. Use spells to make you very sneaky. It's the easiest but definitely the least fun way.

ArcturusV
2013-05-03, 11:04 PM
I suppose you can also count the Ruby Knight Vindicator, from Tome of Battle, just for the sake of completeness.

Averis Vol
2013-05-04, 12:02 AM
Slayer of Domiel from BoED is the closest I know of to a divine assassin. I mean, there's always the black flame zealot but....ewwww.

Bob
2013-05-04, 01:26 AM
check out the Strifeleader of Cyric in Faiths and Pantheons.

If you have access to Forgotten Realms splatbooks.

thethird
2013-05-04, 03:59 AM
Justice of Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin, FR) has a stronger assassin feel and doesn't force you to be evil, netting you SA and Death Attack, but the spells have no actual descriptor (i.e. they aren't defined as arcane or divine). However, it has its own progression, with a small chunk of spells (though the ones that boost arrows are pretty nice; the class is meant to be some sort of ranged assassin). You can gauge it to be divine as it requires good Wisdom to use, but otherwise, it has no actual descriptor. But, again, it has its own spell list.

I thought that it was int based, so I checked it, it seems that the table is int based but the text is wisdom based, poor editing indeed.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-05-04, 07:47 AM
Have you considered just using a cloistered cleric with the trickery domain?

What does "Assassin" mean to you other than stealthy with no moral qualms about killing stealthily for money?

Murmaider
2013-05-04, 09:00 AM
Dark Pilgrim of Takhisis from Holy Orders of the Stars is pretty strong if you can use 3rd party. It's basically cleric levels that trade in turn undead progression for a bonus on some cha based skills, cha to saves, HiPS, poison use, slippery mind and a wis based death attack.

Yeah, it's a pretty overpowered prestige class.

kulosle
2013-05-04, 02:27 PM
Dark Pilgrim of Takhisis from Holy Orders of the Stars is pretty strong if you can use 3rd party. It's basically cleric levels that trade in turn undead progression for a bonus on some cha based skills, cha to saves, HiPS, poison use, slippery mind and a wis based death attack.

Yeah, it's a pretty overpowered prestige class.

is it sad that all of those things probably aren't as good as turn undead, because it means you can't use DMM?

Jack_Simth
2013-05-04, 02:40 PM
Are there any assassin themed prestige classes for divine casters?

I'm aware of the Black Flame Zealot in Complete Divine, Ruby Knight Vindicator in Tome of Battle, and the Shadowbane Inquisitor in Complete Adventurer. The Zealot is out of the question since the prerequisites and caster progression are horrible. My DM isn't using Tome of Battle so the RKV is out. I don't want to be stuck playing LG in a party full of morally questionable characters so the Inquisitor is off my list.

I don't mind if the prestige class misses 1 or 2 caster levels, but not too many.

Appreciate any and all help you guys would give. Thanks.

It's not technically a PrC, but if you go with a human rogue(or Bard, or Factotum, or...)-1/Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)-X, and take Able Learner (Races of Destiny), you're an almost-full Divine caster that is about as sneaky as you want to be. With the 'right' domain (Trickery) you get Hide as a class skill without the dip, and if you take the Silent Spell feat (and maybe Divine Metamagic(Silent Spell)) you can cast Silence and stop worrying about being heard.