PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Strike & Gauntlets

Joe Eskimo
2013-05-03, 02:41 AM
Simple question really. Does an increased unarmed strike damage also increase the damage of worn gauntlets? Like when I take superior unarmed strike, does it also apply when I wear gauntlets?

Barsoom
2013-05-03, 02:45 AM
Gauntlet
This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.

Gauntlet, Spiked
Your opponent cannot use a disarm action to disarm you of spiked gauntlets. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. An attack with a spiked gauntlet is considered an armed attack.
Gauntlet: yes. Spiked gauntlet: no. It's a little rule anomaly which doesn't really make sense.

Juntao112
2013-05-03, 03:10 AM
Well, when you fight with the spiked gauntlet, you attack with the pointy bits and not your fists.

You know, like Batman.

Pickford
2013-05-03, 03:18 AM
Simple question really. Does an increased unarmed strike damage also increase the damage of worn gauntlets? Like when I take superior unarmed strike, does it also apply when I wear gauntlets?

The only benefit of the gauntlet is that it allows those without the feat improved unarmed strikes to deal lethal rather than nonlethal damage from unarmed strikes. Basically there's no reason to use it if you're say, a monk.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-03, 04:12 AM
The only benefit of the gauntlet is that it allows those without the feat improved unarmed strikes to deal lethal rather than nonlethal damage from unarmed strikes. Basically there's no reason to use it if you're say, a monk.

True, but many suits of armor come with them and would look silly without them. I don't know if that's Joe Eskimo's concern, but it's something I'd consider.

(Of course, I'm assuming you're something like an unarmed fighter or multiclass unarmed swordsage with low Wisdom that would want to wear medium/heavy armor.)

Juntao112
2013-05-03, 04:13 AM

Cheap weapon enhancements.

Joe Eskimo
2013-05-03, 05:05 AM
Cool. It's just the regular gauntlet not the spiked one btw. The one that comes with armor. My cohort could still be a badass and beat the crap out of things even without a weapon. I know it's not very optimized but hey I like making my cohort beat people's faces in with an armored fist.

Joe Eskimo
2013-05-03, 05:19 AM
Also, another weird thing I noticed, you could apply your Power attack damage to unarmed strikes and gauntlets for that matter, since they're also considered unarmed strikes but not to spiked gauntlets since they're considered a whole other weapon. :smalleek:

Kaerou
2013-05-03, 06:08 AM
Basically there's no reason to use it if you're say, a monk.

Weapon enchantments, and materials if you're too low to have the ki strike material type.

Cirrylius
2013-05-03, 06:13 AM

The spiked gauntlet deals piercing damage instead of bludgeoning. So there's that.

Krobar
2013-05-03, 07:50 AM

Greater Magic Weapon. I don't believe you can cast that directly on you/your hands. It's the specific reason my pugilist Cleric of Kord uses gloves.