PDA

View Full Version : offical board time

faerwain
2006-11-24, 06:52 PM
Hi,

maybe I'm just to blind to find it, is there some "official board time" like there was at the old boards? I only find the clock with my local time at the bottom of the page, but as I regularly forget about calculating the time difference I'd be interested in "giant's local time".
Btw, after getting used to it I like the new boards, great job you've done with the migration.

Rex Idiotarum
2006-11-24, 07:06 PM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Look at the bottom

Edit, I set mine to EST so it -5 from GMT

faerwain
2006-11-24, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the quick response,
but my problem is, how do you set it? It automatically shows my time (GMT+1) and I don't find where I could change this.

Rawhide
2006-11-24, 07:53 PM
The actual server time is CST (UTC/GMT -6), this is not the same as The Giant's local time. However the board is smarter than that and doesn't use an offset from the server time (like the old boards) but the actual timezones. All times listed throughout the entire board are what you have set in your local time, or EST (UTC/GMT -5) if you are a guest, this will take DST into account (making the timezone for guests effectively UTC/GMT -4 during DST). Look to the bottom of the page to see what timezone the times are currently being displayed in.

UTC/GMT is probably the best timezone to use when quoting times, as those that are + or - can easily see how much they need to add or subtract.

faerwain: Your timezone is currently set for UTC/GMT exactly. The +1 is because it is set to DST. To change your timezone go to User CP -> Edit Options -> Date & Time Options -> Time Zone.

CST: Central Standard Time
UTC: Coordinated Universal Time
GMT: Greenwich Mean Time
EST: Eastern Standard Time
DST: Daylight Savings Time (Summer Time)

faerwain
2006-11-25, 05:34 AM
Thank you Rawhide!