PDA

View Full Version : The Implications of Typable Explosive Runes?

TheHoodedTeddy
2013-05-03, 07:29 AM
This is assuming that there is a typed equivelent to said RUNE. Also assuming that the purple text right there is the typed equivelent, what would happen?

valadil
2013-05-03, 10:17 AM
You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information.

I would argue that the screen is a different enough media that this doesn't work. I would assume that Xeroxing a couple hundred copies of an explosive run wouldn't mass produce copies of the spell and that the computer screen would work on that basis.

But since you said to assume it works, I think you'd end up with Snow Crash. Or a something similar but with less damage. Snow Crash is the save or die (no save) high level variant of Typed Explosive Runes.

Sandwich8080
2013-05-03, 10:24 AM
I would think the magic is being cast into what you write, otherwise anyone trained in calligraphy could cast explosive runes.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 10:32 AM
The series of characters isn't what makes them explode; they do so because they were enchanted to. Copying those characters without casting the spell, even if you do it perfectly, can not recreate the spell's effects.

It prints the runes to a page (or other item). If you're looking at a copy or a photographic representation of the page (which is what computers do, basically), it won't detonate because that's not what the spell was cast on (additionally, the photograph also won't be perfect because of issues like pixel count). Only reading the target item itself, in person, will detonate the runes.

Think of it like you took a picture of a page containing Explosive Runes. The photo wouldn't explode because it wasn't the target of the spell (fluff version: The magic was in the original, not copies). The magic is only in the original; even if you copy the runes perfectly, without casting the spell, the magic won't replicate. This is the same reason why you can't just run off copies of a Manual of Gainful Exercise and give everyone Inherent bonuses to strength.

Miscast_Mage
2013-05-03, 10:44 AM
An interesting thought is that there's only one Rune split between all the prints; so any of them could go off, but as soon as one does, the rest go inert.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 10:51 AM
An interesting thought is that there's only one Rune split between all the prints; so any of them could go off, but as soon as one does, the rest go inert.

I see it more like an item, like a stamp or printer which casts Explosive Runes. You get it onto the item, but you can't cast it on a web page (it's not a physical item, and you can't make HTML code explode :smalltongue:. Even if you could, it would probably explode the server and original computer for "reading" it).

Scow2
2013-05-03, 10:57 AM
and you can't make HTML code explode :smalltongue:
I strongly disagree! But it's not the effect you're expecting when it does. It's usually much more underwhelming.

On the subject of Explosive runes - does it make the paper explode, or does it make the eyes of the reader explode when it reads it (Somehow without damaging the eyes)? The mechanics of it suggest that it actually makes your head explode when your brain tries to understand what's written.

Draken
2013-05-03, 11:06 AM
I strongly disagree! But it's not the effect you're expecting when it does. It's usually much more underwhelming.

On the subject of Explosive runes - does it make the paper explode, or does it make the eyes of the reader explode when it reads it (Somehow without damaging the eyes)? The mechanics of it suggest that it actually makes your head explode when your brain tries to understand what's written.

It's the rune itself that explodes, kind of like a landmine.

Assuming that you would write the rune and then imbue it with explosive magic, I would assume that an online rune, once read, would explode wherever the data of the rune itself is stored, meaning it would detonate the hosting server, not the reader's screen.

But more than likely it wouldn't do jack if someone somewhere in the world read it over the internet for the same reason that explosive runes don't trigger when someone reads them over a clairvoyance spell or some other long range sensor. I mean, I think such sensors don't trigger the rune, but they might.

On the other hand, given the range of the spell, it would be dreadfully difficult to write an explosive rune into the internet, as opposed to simply dropping it on top of the caster's monitor. I presume it would involve casting a spell that allows you to planeshift into cyberspace first.

It would be a pretty good way of encrypting secret data! If someone not authorized reads it the thing just explodes.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 11:16 AM

Casting a spell to crash people's browsers... so petty, but it's the kind of thing you'd expect from a low-level internet-Wizard.

TheStranger
2013-05-03, 11:46 AM
As mentioned, it wouldn't really work. But if it did, I would expect my monitor to explode for 6d6 damage. And the term "flame war" would become much more literal.

Obviously, the "free" copying of the internet isn't something that typically exists in a D&D game, and it's not really analogous to photocopies. Photocopies are still a physical medium, and copies use up ink (or toner) and paper. If there were a way to encode the magic into the data itself (which would be necessary for this to work), you would have essentially infinite explosions from a single spell (although each use would presumably destroy somebody's monitor).

So if you're positing a version of explosive runes that can be reproduced, you want to be very clear on how it works, what media it can be reproduced in, and what the limitations are. I'm inclined to say it would be a fairly high-level spell, though, just because it's infinitely repeatable.

valadil
2013-05-03, 12:32 PM

I really like this interpretation. Both in the flavor sense that you only have enough magic for one instance of the explosion, but also in the game sense in that broadcasting an explosion could be fantasically useful, but go horribly, horribly wrong.

TheHoodedTeddy
2013-05-03, 12:55 PM
I Thought it was implied that it was cast into the typing.
I think it would be funny if the page in your browser actually shows an animation of an explosion, then closes the window, or crashes the computer.
Or we could go with the interpretation of the thing that brought me to the site, Order of the Stick.
I prepared explosive runes today.

BWR
2013-05-03, 01:43 PM
Every magic/SF setting I've come across has disallowed this sort of thing. Basically, it's the same as getting infinite scrolls due to copypaste. Mostly, I'm sure, to balancing issues - mass murder by spam mail would be amusing but game breaking.

In universe explanations are more along the lines of if you cast a spell, there is a mystical charge of sorts in the exact location and nowhere else, and copying the exterior form doesn't copy the mystical charge.

I'm sure some enterprising wizard would come up with a variant which has the specific effect of making an electronically transmittable Explosive Runes, but it would only work on a single location. It would likely have to have specific triggers, along the lines of 'the first person to read this', and the whole spell would exist in some sort of potential field until it triggers.

An Explosive Runes variant that could affect everyone viewing it on a forum like this would likely be so high level and so expensive as to be nearly pointless, if it is to be kept within sensible limits.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 02:03 PM
Maybe you could have curses transmitted through creepypasta chain-spam, similar to those Facebook posters who throw down messages like "If you don't like and share this creepypasta, Slenderman will eat your soul", only it's real.

valadil
2013-05-03, 02:56 PM
In universe explanations are more along the lines of if you cast a spell, there is a mystical charge of sorts in the exact location and nowhere else, and copying the exterior form doesn't copy the mystical charge.

Alternatively, every time the spell is triggered, the caster pays the casting cost again. When he runs out of 3rd level slots it uses 4s, etc, until he starts taking stat damage.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 03:06 PM
Alternatively, every time the spell is triggered, the caster pays the casting cost again. When he runs out of 3rd level slots it uses 4s, etc, until he starts taking stat damage.

Murder by chain mail?

valadil
2013-05-03, 03:11 PM
Murder by chain mail?

More like suicide by chain mail, but that seems a suitable punishment.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 03:37 PM
More like suicide by chain mail, but that seems a suitable punishment.

1. Person tries to assassinate me with Internet Explosive Runes

2. I somehow make the save or whatever to survive it.

3. I get the message forwarded/shared to thousands of other people, potentially a million or more if I roll well.

4. Attacker takes ludicrous stat damage

5. I find him and kill him while he's KO'd (or just dead if it's Con damage).

valadil
2013-05-03, 03:58 PM
Ah, better still. Seems fitting for an espionage game. I kinda want to play that now.

BWR
2013-05-03, 05:15 PM
1. Person tries to assassinate me with Internet Explosive Runes

2. I somehow make the save or whatever to survive it.

3. I get the message forwarded/shared to thousands of other people, potentially a million or more if I roll well.

4. Attacker takes ludicrous stat damage

5. I find him and kill him while he's KO'd (or just dead if it's Con damage).

6. alignment turns to chaotic evil

Omniplex
2013-05-03, 10:10 PM
I would be inclined to think that the spell goes off on the first person who reads it (besides the caster), and after that is just mundane text.

BWR
2013-05-04, 03:54 AM
Photocopies are still a physical medium, and copies use up ink (or toner) and paper.

Thinking about these observations, why couldn't someone invent a magic machine that copied scrolls or other magical writings for you?
Yes, it would be an expensive machine and would require the same amount and type of materials to copy, but it would relieve you of spending a day making a single scroll.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-04, 11:38 AM
Thinking about these observations, why couldn't someone invent a magic machine that copied scrolls or other magical writings for you?
Yes, it would be an expensive machine and would require the same amount and type of materials to copy, but it would relieve you of spending a day making a single scroll.

I believe there was a printed item to do this. Quill of Scribing, I think it's called, would save you the time crafting scrolls, but you still had to start work with the quill, which it would then finish. A Dedicated Wright, from one of the Eberron books, can also craft items in your stead, using your own crafting feats to do so.

EDIT: Neither of those can cast Explosive Runes for you, though, and you still need to expend materials as normal, wait the time, and possess the appropriate crafting feat.

MukkTB
2013-05-04, 03:21 PM
I think it takes a spell slot to craft those runes. Copied runes would do nothing for the same reason explosive runes drawn by a non-magic user would do nothing. Theres no power backing them up. Alternatively they can only be drawn if you have the spell slot to power them and otherwise fail to render somehow.

Chilingsworth
2013-05-04, 06:40 PM
Isn't there a d20Modern PrC that let's you cast spells into emails (that are then triggered by the reader)?

Techno Mage, I think it's called.

Mewtarthio
2013-05-04, 08:56 PM
Maybe you could have curses transmitted through creepypasta chain-spam, similar to those Facebook posters who throw down messages like "If you don't like and share this creepypasta, Slenderman will eat your soul", only it's real.

Seven days...

avr
2013-05-04, 11:43 PM
6. alignment turns to chaotic evil
An unnecessary step in the case of many spammers.

On topic, if you had some code which acted as an at-will item of explosive runes it wouldn't take much to DDoS it; just two readers every 6 seconds to crash the page.

BWR
2013-05-05, 03:27 AM
the Rules Cyclopedia had an item called a Quill of Copying, which once per week destroyed one scroll but made two new ones at no extra cost.
When my players found one I had to house rule it a bit.

Studoku
2013-05-05, 07:42 AM
Isn't this just the plot of The Ring, only with more explosions?