PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] What LA should these race have?

CinuzIta
2013-05-03, 07:47 AM
hello guys, I need your help to determine a race's LA again! Here it is:

Kush:
+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Wis, -4 Cha
Medium. Outsider (Demon, Evil, Extraplanar)
Aligned Weapons: every natural or manufactured weapon a Kush uses is considered to be Evil in order to ignore Damage Resistance.
Darkvision 60 feet.
Resistance to cold and electricity 5
Telepathy
SR 5+HD
Can use darkness 3/day as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to his HD
Known Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Common.

So what do you say? I was thinking at a LA+2 but I'm concerned it might be too low!:)

TuggyNE
2013-05-03, 06:59 PM
Off-hand, it looks like a somewhat low LA +2 or high LA +1; no net stat adjustment, but a penalty to good dump stat, gets it up to a minimal LA +1, and Outsider type solidifies it there. Aligned Weapons, Darkvision, and the subtypes mostly cancel out; energy resistance bumps it up a bit, and so does telepathy, but the SR and SLA are mostly useless.

inuyasha
2013-05-03, 07:13 PM
Im thinking this is either LA 2 or 3

Waker
2013-05-03, 07:25 PM
I'd put it at LA 2 or 3 as well. The stats make for a fairly solid melee build, while still allowing an Int-based caster to be made. Making weapons evil aligned can help get around DR, the Outsider type protects against certain effects (though preventing handy ones like Enlarge Person)while making certain PrCs available (Mortal Hunter, Fiend of Possession), Telepathy and Darkvision are nice. Even if the SR isn't huge, the fact that it scales with HD makes it nice.

Mr.Bookworm
2013-05-03, 08:36 PM
LA +1.

You have some good stat bonuses for a fighter-type, mitigated slightly by penalties to skills you probably won't care too much about.

The Outsider type is nice (Demon isn't actually a subtype, btw), mostly at lower levels, but it also makes resurrection much more of a pain in the ass at first.

Evil weapons are a nice bennie, but somewhat situational. It depends on whether you're going to be fighting a lot of celestials or not.

Darkvision, the resistances, the SLA, and the weak-ish SR are all pretty minor stuff.

Telepathy is quite good, but not huge. You also need to state a range and whether or not you need to share a language with the target creature.

Languages don't really matter.

Anyway, none of the race's stuff really adds up to much more than LA +1. If you're worried about it being too powerful, drop the telepathy.

TuggyNE
2013-05-03, 09:22 PM
The Outsider type is nice (Demon isn't actually a subtype, btw), mostly at lower levels, but it also makes resurrection much more of a pain in the ass at first.

Yeah, just use (Tanar'ri) instead.

Debihuman
2013-05-04, 12:05 AM
Demon and Devil are the OGL versions of Tanar'ri subtype and Baatezu subtypes. They aren't listed as such in the online SRD but they are listed on WotC's glossary as subtypes.

Debby

CinuzIta
2013-05-04, 03:10 AM
I haven't used Tanar'ri and Baatezu because these is a campaign-specific race, and in the setting I've created those two kind of monsters do not exist. Actually there are no devils at all, only demons! I should've stated it in the op, sorry:)

Thank you very much for your opinions guys, I think I'll give them another low power ability and label them as a +2 race!