PDA

View Full Version : Master Summoner/Eidolon Help

Xander96
2013-05-03, 08:33 AM
So I will be playing in a pirate game in the near future. After some careful thought & consideration from all the suggestions I've received to play, I'm thinking the Master Summoner might be the avenue I'd like to go down. It seems like this class has served the party the best in this type of campaign.

Especially, where right now as I understand it there are going to be 2-3 gunslingers in our party. And I would rather not be the meatstick. I've been there & done that. I'd rather do something else.

So I figured that the Master Summoner might be interesting from what everyone has been mentioning. I know I am going to go Half Elf to qualify for the Eldritch Heritage feat.

I need help on building an eidolon that is a small scout-type with high perception, stealth, the ability to swim and breathe underwater as well as the ability to fly.

And any help with building the Master Summoner I would appreciate as well. Thanks!

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 05:43 PM
You will be a beatstick, just not a conventional one. You'll summon creatures who will function as disposable beatsticks who don't need healing. This saves you many CLW wand-charges.

20 CHA, 14 Con, SF(Conjuration), Augment Summoning. That's all you need to be a badass Master Summoner. Just stay out of harm's way and dump critters to distract your enemies while the Gunslingers pepper them to death from a safe distance.

Stick the favored class bonus into hit points, unless you plan on being the skillmonkey (which is a terrible idea, let someone smarter than you do that).

Having your Eidolon out in combat will often be counter-productive because a) it sucks and will die quickly and b) you want to spam the hell out of your Summon Monster SLA. It's fine to keep it as a backup option though, when you're out of Summon Monster uses.

I've been wondering how well a Summoner would do by grabbing the Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan) feat and Boon Companion for an almost-full AC progression. It would be nice to get another big scary monster doing your dirty work.

Eidolon should be built for utility. Aquatic base form with flight and Skilled should be fine. Large size when you can get it, so it can rescue people from the depths, or just distract enemies.

neonchameleon
2013-05-04, 05:20 AM
I'll just link my two guides on the subject (one on building for a stealth-Eidolon, although it asumes you aren't a Master Summoner and the other on summonings)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oRoaIVTmDH7k6tVbTdXzuw-dYTPkdRo57NYB5Wv7vJo/edit#heading=h.x88xphneinn7

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16dZ5SBQMS1Yi6531tXOkKE_rmXEwn4VFacOEQKiHA5E/edit#heading=h.qw1e6nm2iq5k

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-04, 07:21 PM
Note that Human with Focused Study variant gets Skill Focus at levels 1, 8, and 16 instead of the normal bonus feat. So if you were only going half-Elf for skill focus...

Of course, half-elf also boasts the +1/4 evo point favored class option, which is the main appeal.

You may as well keep the Eidolon out, but it is too weak for melee beyond 1st level. Have it be a skill monkey w/ the Skilled evolution, and be a support character as much as possible. Flagbearer feat, Helpful trait (via Additional Traits feat), anything like that. You'll only be able to have one summon spell out at a time, but...you wouldn't need more than that usually anyway. It's a limited resource, after all. Just keep replacing them as they die.

TuggyNE
2013-05-04, 08:23 PM
Y'know, PF questions go in the 3.5 subforum like other d20-system variants. Jussayin'.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-04, 08:27 PM
Y'know, PF questions go in the 3.5 subforum like other d20-system variants. Jussayin'.

Yeah, I think its weird there's enough bleedover (i.e. checking both subforums at once) that I didn't even notice until you posted that.

TuggyNE
2013-05-04, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I think its weird there's enough bleedover (i.e. checking both subforums at once) that I didn't even notice until you posted that.

I'm OCD awesome like that. :smallcool: