PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/3.p] Ranged Natural Weapons?

malonkey1
2013-05-03, 11:19 AM
I tried my Google-Fu, but failed to find mention of it. Is there such a thing a s "ranged natural weapon"? If so, could you give examples?

(For clarification, I'm not referring to things like a Dragon's Breath Weapon. I mean an actual natural weapon, following natural weapon rules, that has a range other than melee.)

Korahir
2013-05-03, 11:35 AM
what springs to mind is the spiked tail of a manticore although there is no mention of natural weapon on that entry.

Maginomicon
2013-05-03, 11:41 AM
The Blood Wind spell (Spell Compendium) allows a creature that round to make a full-attack and treat all of its natural weapons as throwing weapons (the thrown effects are still your natural weapons for all purposes). That's about as much as a PC that you can do to get ranged natural weapons.

In my Full-Contact Mage build, I use a Thri-kreen (5 natural weapons) and the Girallion's Blessing and Arms of Plenty spells (each grants an additional 2 claw attacks) to have a full-attack with blood wind for a grand total of 9 natural weapons in the full-attack routine which attack at range.

Amphetryon
2013-05-03, 11:42 AM
You can use certain Prestige Classes - Bloodstorm Blade springs to mind - to allow you to use melee or natural weapons at range. It gives a new meaning to "throwing hands."

Curmudgeon
2013-05-03, 12:26 PM
You can use certain Prestige Classes - Bloodstorm Blade springs to mind - to allow you to use melee or natural weapons at range. It gives a new meaning to "throwing hands."
You must be thinking of another PrC. Bloodstorm Blade doesn't list natural weapons as throwable. Instead, it can use normal thrown weapons plus normal melee weapons via Throw Anything (which is quite badly misnamed, hence the Really Throw Anything class ability of the Hulking Hurler PrC, which still won't let you throw natural weapons).

Talionis
2013-05-03, 02:59 PM
Magic of Incarnum, Totemist has access to some Ranged Natural Weapons, at least one of them allows you to shoot spikes from a phantom-ee Tail? Even Dissolving Spittle might be an example.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 03:11 PM
A 3.5 monster feat allows trolls to rip their own arms off and throw them at people, dealing damage as though struck by the natural weapon.

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-03, 03:13 PM
A 3.5 monster feat allows trolls to rip their own arms off and throw them at people, dealing damage as though struck by the natural weapon.

Sounds 3rd party!

Darrin
2013-05-03, 03:36 PM
Sounds 3rd party!

Nope. Savage Species page 33. Detach feat.

(Savage Species continues to impress me as the book that manages to pull off "supremely borked!" and "stupendously awesome!" at the same time in equal measure.)

rot42
2013-05-03, 03:49 PM
Harpoon Spider - MMIII 80, can fire its fangs as ranged attacks, then try to reel the target in. The fangs never fully detach, but text and table both describe the ability as a ranged attack.

I half recall some porcupine-inspired monster that could fire off quills, but I might just be thinking of the Druid spell.

kiryoku
2013-05-03, 04:46 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190350
These are semi natural. They are attached and give you a few ranged attacks out of the lot of them. Grafts would be more "natural" then the symbionts. Though they seem to do more/rarer damage types then the grafts do.

Deaxsa
2013-05-03, 05:00 PM

you mean like This Guy (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100730105927/dragonball/images/7/75/NailsDebutk.png)? (only without the throwing)

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 05:13 PM
you mean like This Guy (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100730105927/dragonball/images/7/75/NailsDebutk.png)? (only without the throwing)

Yes, like a Namekian, if one of them started chucking his arms at people. That would have been awesome. DBZ had so much wasted potential.

Maybe if you used flaws to get Troll-Blooded on a Warforged at 1st level, took him into WF Juggernaut (immune to nonlethal), and grabbed the feat. It would be a hilarious option against flying enemies, almost as cool as Throwing/Returning rocket punches unarmed strikes.

(Savage Species continues to impress me as the book that manages to pull off "supremely borked!" and "stupendously awesome!" at the same time in equal measure.)

Part of me takes comfort in knowing that one day, I can play an anthro-monkey hitman named Furious George and have it be completely rules-legal. I find it odd they don't get climb speeds, but I'll take it.

malonkey1
2013-05-04, 08:27 PM
Interesting. That Harpoon Spider seems to be the closest to what I was looking for. I ask this because i was pondering the implications of a race, item, spell or class that gave a ranged natural weapon (that is, a natural weapon that was ranged to begin with). I had a single mention of a "Ranged Natural Weapon" as a machine for my Arcane Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14654466&postcount=10) class. (Machines here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14654469&postcount=11). "Dart Guns")