PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to go about starting up a group similar to Bregan D'aerthe

IIzak
2013-05-03, 11:45 AM
Okay, so I'm playing in a campaign with quite a few people and I'd like to start a sort of "Bregan D'aerthe" type organization in the world. I want NPC's to be a part of it though.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how to go about setting up this type of organization. So far I've basically been talking to different people and just trying to get them to tell me stuff so I'll have a bunch of information, and then trying to get people either indebted to me, or blackmail them, or otherwise coerce them into working for me.

What sorts of things can I do to make this actually work in a campaign as a PC? Also, any ideas for things that I could do to expand/better use this organization to give me an advantage?

wayfare
2013-05-03, 11:52 AM
Okay, so I'm playing in a campaign with quite a few people and I'd like to start a sort of "Bregan D'aerthe" type organization in the world. I want NPC's to be a part of it though.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how to go about setting up this type of organization. So far I've basically been talking to different people and just trying to get them to tell me stuff so I'll have a bunch of information, and then trying to get people either indebted to me, or blackmail them, or otherwise coerce them into working for me.

What sorts of things can I do to make this actually work in a campaign as a PC? Also, any ideas for things that I could do to expand/better use this organization to give me an advantage?

Class can come into play quite a bit. What are you rolling?

IIzak
2013-05-03, 12:29 PM
right now i'm a lvl 4 factotum, I plan on taking factotum all the way to 20 i think, and i basically just talk and mess people up.

wayfare
2013-05-03, 12:48 PM
right now i'm a lvl 4 factotum, I plan on taking factotum all the way to 20 i think, and i basically just talk and mess people up.

That is very appropriate -- i think Jarlaxl would be a Factotum if it had been around at the time he was invented.

Check out the various Diplomancy threads for ideas as to how you can use conversation to win you allies.

You want to find a way to get a separate identity. There are classes that do this, but moving around always in disguise is also not a bad way to go about it -- no-one knows your face, because no-one, not even your allies, has ever seen it.

If its allowed, you want to take the Leadership feat at level 6. Not everybody does allow that, feat, as it is super-powerful, but if it is allowed, you just get the organization you want.

If you do get Leadership, you should look for ways to boost it -- stuff that increases CHA, the Legendary Captain PrC, etc.

You want somebody who can do crafting for you, so if you get leadership, make your Cohort an Artificer, or a Magewright (if your GM limits you to NPC classes for Leadership).

Once you get to the point where you have followers as well as a cohort, you can start mass producing potions and whatnot, using the aid another rules and a few K in investment for precision tools. At this point, you'll have a very well outfitted group of 1st and 2nd level lackeys.

Beyond this, use the funds generated by your lackeys to pay for better mercs. Be warned, w/o magical domination, or tons of leverage, characters above level 5 are gonna be hard to come by.

IIzak
2013-05-03, 01:10 PM
yeah, my character is a compulsive liar and has about 13 different pseudonyms so I think I have that covered. Is a PrC a good idea though? since you lose out on a few inspiration points that way?

wayfare
2013-05-03, 01:17 PM
yeah, my character is a compulsive liar and has about 13 different pseudonyms so I think I have that covered. Is a PrC a good idea though? since you lose out on a few inspiration points that way?

You will Lose a TON as a Factotum, and Legendary Captain is clearly geared towards being a ship captain, so most of its abilities wont be useful in your typical campaign. But if you went (Anything 10)/Legendary Captain 10, and have a decent CHA, you'll hit leadership score of 40. The chart doesnt even go that high, though i think ther is errata somewhere that explains what happens when you go over 25.

Its not needed, though. You can boost leadership by

1) having a stronghold (easy, just kill a gang leader and take his stuff)
2) being nice
3) Having special power (which you do, with your casting)

By level 6, you can easily have your own group of spies and informants

Edit: if your gm lets you take epic leadership before level 20...well, you have a massive following.

IIzak
2013-05-03, 01:38 PM
could you link me to some of those diplomacy threads? I'm having some trouble finding any

wayfare
2013-05-03, 01:57 PM
could you link me to some of those diplomacy threads? I'm having some trouble finding any

Thy this one to start out with: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166293