PDA

View Full Version : Collar of Perpetual Attendance slot?

qwertyu63
2013-05-03, 02:39 PM
I was just reading through the Fabulous Cats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) article, and I noticed something odd. The item Collar of Perpetual Attendance sounds like it should take up the throat slot (it is a collar after all); however it uses Forge Ring to make, which implies it takes up a ring slot... So, which is it?

Deaxsa
2013-05-03, 04:42 PM
well, how big is your finger?

in all seriousness, is there anything to suggest "collar" means nothing more than a band of material that fits around something? does it suggest that it is the size of a pet collar? if not, it's probably a ring. of course, your dm may decide differently, etc, etc, but i do not think the word "collar" means "cannot be put on a finger"

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-03, 09:17 PM
Protip: Don't expect material from an April Fool's article to be well edited or well balanced.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-03, 10:10 PM
Protip: Don't expect material from an April Fool's article to be well edited or well balanced.
Still would ask to use it if my DM let me play an Awakened Cat.
As for what slot, I'd rule neck slot since it doesn't say and that makes the most sense to me.

maximus25
2013-05-03, 10:34 PM
I'd play a cat with any of those feats.

rot42
2013-05-04, 07:38 AM
Short answer: April Fools' Day article. Neither choice seems odd or imbalanced so ask your DM.

Long answer: The cost is straight out of the magic item creation guidelines. Looking at the affinities table in the DMG, collar seems perfectly reasonable as well as being on-flavor. There is a ring of telekinesis that might work for a comparison item.

PlusSixPelican
2013-05-05, 03:48 PM
It's on the neck, since it's a cat-collar. Magic items resize to work with whoever's wearing them, as I understand them. So be prepared to walk around with a little bell around your neck and looking like you're into bondage and pet play, but Unseen Servant at-will is pretty boss.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-05, 04:28 PM
It's on the neck, since it's a cat-collar. Magic items resize to work with whoever's wearing them, as I understand them. So be prepared to walk around with a little bell around your neck and looking like you're into bondage and pet play, but Unseen Servant at-will is pretty boss.

In D&D, bondage is pretty tame, as far as messed-up **** goes. You get people wearing hands around their necks, and no-one even mentions it.

But adventurers might as well be masochists, with how much they enjoy a) being knocked unconscious by physical trauma, b) living like roaches while thousands of gp rattle in their pockets, and c) picking fights with everything they see.

Curmudgeon
2013-05-05, 05:57 PM
Magic items resize to work with whoever's wearing them, as I understand them.
No, that's not generally correct. Only magic garments resize. Jewelry is assumed to be worn in an adaptive fashion (wear a ring for a Large creature's finger on a Medium creature's thumb, for instance). Necklaces can be worn long on smaller creatures or choker-like on larger creatures.

SciChronic
2013-05-05, 06:55 PM
No, that's not generally correct. Only magic garments resize. Jewelry is assumed to be worn in an adaptive fashion (wear a ring for a Large creature's finger on a Medium creature's thumb, for instance). Necklaces can be worn long on smaller creatures or choker-like on larger creatures.

"look at this awesome belt!"
"where'd you get it?"
"it used to be a dragon's pinky ring."

Chronos
2013-05-05, 08:56 PM
IIRC, the entry for some giantish monster or another (I think the one with three arms, whatever it's called) says that they like jewelry, and often wear things intended as bracelets as rings.