PDA

View Full Version : Just had my first PC death

Togath
2013-05-03, 06:57 PM
so unless something changes, I've just had my first PC death(sitting at -9 hp, bleeding, and ten feet away from something close to a balor in power, and at only level 7, with the only nearby party member being 50ft. away and not a healer)
would it be wrong to use one of my (about to die) character's rivals/friends as my new PC? and is it weird that i don't mind to much that my current died(or is abut to anyway)

Alaris
2013-05-03, 07:06 PM
so unless something changes, I've just had my first PC death(sitting at -9 hp, bleeding, and ten feet away from something close to a balor in power, and at only level 7, with the only nearby party member being 50ft. away and not a healer)
would it be wrong to use one of my (about to die) character's rivals/friends as my new PC? and is it weird that i don't mind to much that my current died(or is abut to anyway)

How the hell did you get into a situation where you're fighting the rough equivalent of a Balor, at level 7? Is your DM high?

That aside, no, it's not that weird that you weren't attached. And while not necessarily wrong... it would probably be better to play a character unrelated to your current one.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 07:17 PM
How the hell did you get into a situation where you're fighting the rough equivalent of a Balor, at level 7? Is your DM high?

Why weren't you running away? Seven coppers says the PCs weren't supposed to fight it.

Also, I think it's reasonable to take a pre-existing character as a replacement. It can be easier to justify than picking your new character up at the nearest bar.

Barsoom
2013-05-03, 07:19 PM
Don't give up yet, maybe the Balor has healing spells and likes his victims alive while he eats them

Alaris
2013-05-03, 07:26 PM
Don't give up yet, maybe the Balor has healing spells and likes his victims alive while he eats them

Lol! I just... that's funny.

Nonetheless... if your DM is actually competent, then you might not be completely screwed. Is this play-by-post, or a live game?

Amnestic
2013-05-03, 07:48 PM
Lol! I just... that's funny.

It's actually a Pit Fiend in disguise as a Balor, and they're planning to have the character sell off their soul in exchange for life!

Togath
2013-05-03, 07:49 PM
the format is play by post(system is Naruto d20).
The campaign's been going for over a year now(I think it started back in 2010 or 2011), though I was a recent addition to fill a missing spot.
I didn't try to fight demon-thing(since it seemed like it was likely able to kill me in direct combat), though tried to run by it, since the target of our current mission was past the door it was summoned to guard (my PC--and me to an extent--thought the summoner was summoning and ogre-like demon[which he's allied with] instead of a balor-power level samurai demon girl in Japanese shrine maiden attire[which he didn't know was a thing until then]) and got killed by the attacks of opportunity (since I'd assumed the GM didn't want us to just watch as the npc (who we encountered fighting the woman who summoned the demon) did the job for us..
All but me and one other player were inside the building we were trying to get into by the time my character was nearly killed,
though they only got in at all because my character tried to kill the non-demon npc with poison because of a misunderstanding,
which was enough of a distraction for her to let most of us through, where the other players were ambushed by a ninja serving the guy we had helped get into the city to preform a coup(who then went insane and started blowing up the center of town.. the control center.. of a flying town..)

Sith_Happens
2013-05-03, 08:05 PM
Considering the kinds of things most named characters in Naruto recover from on a semi-regular basis, I feel like any RPG system based on it should have some way of flat-out saying "I'm stable now."

Togath
2013-05-03, 08:10 PM
part of the issue there, is that I failed the saving throw(minimum result was 20.. I managed a 7, with both an action point die[adds 1d6 to your roll] and a +5 modifier)

Sith_Happens
2013-05-03, 10:27 PM
part of the issue there, is that I failed the saving throw(minimum result was 20.. I managed a 7, with both an action point die[adds 1d6 to your roll] and a +5 modifier)

I'm meant "stable" as in "in the negatives, but not losing an additional hit point each turn until dead."

Togath
2013-05-03, 10:34 PM
no, I mean I just failed that, so he's losing a HP next turn(bringing him to -10)..
I suppose the other player could try using his body as a puppet to fling it close enough to her to heal him(since she can control living things to an extent)...
though I'm not sure if the demon would be able to attack his body as it was being flung through the air or not.

Geordnet
2013-05-03, 10:50 PM
I'd say anything's worth a shot at this point.

But to answer your original question, yeah "picking up" an existing NPC as your new character is a fairly common answer to PC death, I'm pretty sure...

Slipperychicken
2013-05-03, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure if the demon would be able to attack his body as it was being flung through the air or not.

It sounds like the kind of thing which would provoke an AoO, but maybe he could use his puppetry to make you perform the "Withdraw" action and not provoke. That, or the demon might not be interested in blowing her AoOs on corpses.

Sith_Happens
2013-05-04, 07:58 AM
Human puppetry is awesome and seems to mainly get used for this exact sort of thing, so definitely try it.

If it doesn't work and you do indeed hit the big minus-ten, I fully support taking over the friend as a replacement. Just make sure your GM knows to run a drawn out funeral scene during which the new PC silently swears vengeance upon the one(s) responsible for the death of the old PC, or, should the one(s) directly responsible be dead by then, upon whichever individual, group/organization, or country is most closely affiliated with them. Bam! Instant character drama shamelessly stolen from completely faithful to the source material.:smallwink: Now all you need is a stupidly overpowered bloodline technique and an ambiguously hebephilic villain who'll agree to become your teacher.

Jay R
2013-05-04, 06:16 PM

That's up to the DM. There may be some secret regarding that person which makes him unsuitable as a PC, or he may want your PC to be introduced to the game in a particular way.

Amaril
2013-05-04, 06:37 PM
Dude, if this is Naruto, it's all good. Characters in that series have plot armor so thick I'm surprised they can even move, much less do all their crazy ninja stuff.

In all seriousness, though, I see no problem with taking on a pre-existing NPC as your new character. It happens all the time.

Togath
2013-05-04, 08:36 PM
aye, and taking on one of his friends/rivals would help me define their fluff a bit better, as well as give me a chance to try a better build(the one that died had everything into stealth and assassination.. to the point of being unable to hit things with most attacks, let alone climb through a waist high window..).

The one that died also had the weakness of having a normal family.. though I hadn't realized it was one until he had to save them from investigators interrogating them about his whereabouts(all of the other character's family also had investigators come looking.. though most of them were strong enough to basically one-shot the investigators, save for one character's family, who're the main villains at the moment).

Remmirath
2013-05-04, 10:09 PM
I'd say neither of those things is odd, and certainly not wrong. It's been quite a long time since I minded when my characters die, except if I feel it was a particularly annoying circumstance, and that certainly sounds like the sort of circumstance where I'd say most people would probably just accept it.

I'm not really sure whether you mean playing a character who was formerly an NPC, as some have assumed, or playing a new or pre-existing PC of yours who happens to be their friend or rival, as I was the only thing that had occured to me before I noticed that others were assuming else. If it's the second one, I think that makes a lot of sense; it's something I have a tendency to do, and I've noticed other people also do it fairly often. It gives the new character a reason to show up, which is always nice. If the first one, well, I do personally find it odd, but it's all between you and the DM. I don't like taking over other people's characters, NPCs included, because I always expect I wouldn't play them quite right. If that's not an issue for you, or for the DM, I don't see any reason it would be a problem (unless, as previously mentioned, there's some plot reason against it or such).

Sith_Happens
2013-05-04, 10:26 PM
Dude, if this is Naruto, it's all good. Characters in that series have plot armor so thick I'm surprised they can even move, much less do all their crazy ninja stuff.

I think you spelled "Bleach" wrong.:smalltongue: