Level: Sor/Wis 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

A tiny pin prick of blood to your wrist causes your blood to shoot forward, forming into the shape of an arrow and striking your target with unrearing accuracy

Your blood bolt acts like a ray and requires a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The ray deals 1d10 damage per aster levels (maximum 5d10). Upon casting this spell you take one point of constitution damage.

Agienst a living target this spell gains a +4 bonus to it's attack roll and ignores any cover or concealment short of total cover or concealment.

Material Component
Some of your own, fresh blood, drawn out upon casting the spell

Blood Lance
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wis 3
Range: 120ft
Effect: 120ft Line
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex Half(See Text)
Spell Resistance: See Text

You cut your wrist, causing a lance formed of your own blood to shoot forth, slicing through anyone in it's path

A blood lance is a 120ft line that deals 1d10 damage per caster level (maximum 10d10) to everything in it's area. Upon casting this spell you take 2 points of constitution damage

Living creatures take a -2 penatly to their reflex saves agienst this effect. A Blood Lance is unaffected by the spell resistance of living creatures.

Material Component

Seraph
2006-11-24, 11:50 PM
Im guessing that emomancers get these for free, then?

Fizban
2006-11-25, 03:22 AM
I can't help but think the con loss is too harsh. I'd say either make it hp loss based on 1/2 CL for the 1st and CL on the second, or make it con burn (unhealable by magic) and up the damage to d12's.

Moribundus
2006-11-25, 03:27 AM
Im guessing that emomancers get these for free, then?

yeah, but they could add some damage due to drama... you know perhaps add their charisma bonus to the damage...

Callos_DeTerran
2006-11-25, 10:57 PM
The Con damage isn't harsh at for these kind of spells. Maybe for Blood Bolt, but Blood Lance is pretty much perfect the way it is.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-11-26, 05:34 AM
While Blood Lance works okay as a supped up lightning bolt with a drawback, Blood Bolt seems kind of dumb. A first level wizard with a crossbow would think "shall I hit him for d10 damage with a crossbow or screw myself over for a +4 bonus to hit and waste a precious spell slot". It isn't worth it until level 6. Blood Lance also has the same weakness as Lightning Bolt in that it needs to have the caster line himself up with an enemy.

I prefer to make these things to hp damage rather than con damage as per the Mahou Tsukai prestige class in the Oriental Adventures book. However since 3.5 made Wounding deal con damage I guess you're probably more correct.

My personal take on Blood Magic was a set of feats that turned you into a constitution based caster. Most of my Blood Magic specific spells were Transmutation with a special [Blood] descriptor.

TheOOB
2006-11-26, 05:58 AM
I made blood bolt go up one die of damage a level, it's still not worth it at level one, but it quickly can become a powerful, if risky, part of your arsenel.

My idea behind these spells was do make spells that did alot for their spell level, but in turn required you to lose hit points, i turned it to con damage to make it so the hp loss scales with level.

Now for a new spell

Blood Barrier
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wis 2
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You cause blood to ooze from a self inflicted wound as it creeps across your skin, creating a barrier to ward off attacks

While this spell is in effect, you gain 4 temporary hit points per caster level (maximum 40)

Upon casting this spell you take 2 constitution damage

Material Component

flawed.Perfection
2006-11-26, 05:43 PM
Seeing the description of the spell ("...a barrier to hard off attacks") I'd think a Natural Armor/Armor/Deflection bonus instead of bonus hit points...

Fizban
2006-11-26, 06:43 PM
That blood barrier is very similar to a spell I read in some book, Relics and Rituals I think. It was 2nd level, 1 min/level, lose 1hp/level and gain 2 temp hp/level.

Baisically I think it comes down to the con loss. If the spells dealt hp loss basted on CL, then you could heal it and I'd be fine. But with con loss, your max hit points go down for the rest of the day, and until you have enough time to recover taking 1 day per point of con lost. So it's unfeasable to cast them more than once every couple of days. While that may be what you were going for, it's not something my casters would take.

TheOOB
2006-11-26, 10:23 PM
These spells are supposed to be high risk/high reward, Blood Barrier hits your con pretty bad, but it gives you up to four time the hp you lost as temp hp (later only 2 times as 2nd level spells cap at CL 10). In the middle of heated combat this can save a mages life, but at a cost.