PDA

View Full Version : SPells that swap bodies.

Sapreaver
2013-05-03, 08:48 PM
I'm looking for the lowest level of spell that can steal someone's body or age, the reason is I have an idea for gross cheese for immortality with the belt of femininity/masculinity. It needs to be permanent though otherwise it won't work so magic jar is out although that was my first thought.

Bakeru
2013-05-03, 09:16 PM
...I think there's some psionic stuff that steals bodies. Otherwise, aside from magic jar, I don't remember anything that allows you to permanently steal someone's body.
And the only thing that expands your life (as far as I remember) was an epic spell that killed everything around you, and in return prolongued your current age cathegory for one year.

Deaxsa
2013-05-03, 09:19 PM
you mean like Flemeth? (best example i could think of, i know there are others) (just trying to get on the same page here)

Flickerdart
2013-05-03, 11:01 PM
There are two ways to do it using psionics - the easy way is just using True Mind Switch, and the more complicated way is Astral Seed.

Sapreaver
2013-05-03, 11:08 PM
Yes nearly like Flemeth only instead of finding someone to bear a child you go hermaphroditic (that's actually a word) with the belt and impregnate your self and then swap bodies with the offspring. Thus granting immortality and other potential benefits all though it's pretty gross and soooo evil.

True mind switch works wonderfully, thank you. :)

Flickerdart
2013-05-04, 12:44 AM
You realize that your plan is not going to do what you want it to do, right? Humans are not geared for asexual reproduction, and inseminating yourself will result in incredibly inbred children, not free clones. It would be much more effective to just True Mind Switch or Reincarnate into any random body.

Trinoya
2013-05-04, 01:24 AM
Iirc the magic jar allows you to do this via RAW.. but you need two magic jars I believe. You basically switch, than switch again, then destroy the first jar or some such.

I've used it before. It's nifty, but there are honestly so many far far easier ways to prolong your life presuming your DM doesn't go with the 'on this day, no matter what, you will die' philosophy of gaming, which was always kinda blarg and I tend to avoid playing under DMs who go with that rather than bother with the actual science of aging (honestly I avoid most DMs who know jack all about the way the universe actually works anyway).

If he doesn't you can just get an item that does alter self endlessly and be young forever... best part is your real body isn't actually aging while you're transformed. It's near immortality (physically at least). Mentally you're still ****ed at the several hundred year mark when your brain runs out of room to store information so you may just want to play one of those long lived races that don't suffer from such obvious drawbacks in the first place.

nobodez
2013-05-04, 01:28 AM
You realize that your plan is not going to do what you want it to do, right? Humans are not geared for asexual reproduction, and inseminating yourself will result in incredibly inbred children, not free clones. It would be much more effective to just True Mind Switch or Reincarnate into any random body.

Yeah, reincarnte really is the easiest way to do the whole "immortal body hopper" idea without having to use 9th level psionic powers. Last breath, or rather the contingent version or using a magic item, is a bit better, since you don't have to worry about level loss. I've got a BBEG idea that hinges on these spells, a sort of shadow ruler, reincarnating after suicide ever few decades to advance thier plot across time. They've created a support system not unlike tht used by the Dali Lama, though using a "young adult" codicil rather than looking for a birth/conception matching the death of the previous (as with the Dali Lama).

Mind, the aforementioned BBEG now rules a small interstellar empire consisting of over 50 billion people (including awakened animals, because they're cool).

Alleran
2013-05-04, 02:16 AM
Dragon Magazine (I want to say #354, but I can't remember exactly) has a 9th level spell that grants the "Endless" quality as long as you wear a certain piece of jewelry. Basically, you don't die from old age and don't accrue aging bonuses or penalties.

Sapreaver
2013-05-04, 05:06 AM

Aye that they are not, I wonder how many generations would need to go by until your offsprings type becomes not human. Or I could simply just have it just have an offspring the normal way and steal the body. Or heck become a psionic bunny. The sky appears to be the limit with true mind switch except for the level loss, i'm sure there are ways to freeze some one in time though.

Such as schism, start casting true mind switch have the second mind wait 5 turns than cast a delayed Suspend life. If my understanding is correct you switch bodies at the same time that suspends life happens so your previous body is sleeping and since it isn't psionic anymore it can't be dismissed by the mind inside it now, giving you a couple years to find a new body. Thus stopping the level loss since you can hide your old body some where.

Get suspend life by taking expanded knowledge which if I read it right gives you a power with out restrictions.

Osiris
2013-05-04, 08:26 AM
Guys, there's a 1st level spell that can do this- benign transposition- you and a willing/unconscious person/monster switch places within uh 60 feet or so!

It's great! At 20th level I'd prep this daily. Its newer version baleful transposition in the Spell Compendium works as the same but you can affect anyone who misses a will save! :smallamused: I know you want this, it is AMAZING! Good luck out there, fellow wizards.

Malroth
2013-05-04, 03:35 PM
switch places as in exchanging physical location.

MeiLeTeng
2013-05-04, 03:45 PM
switch places as in exchanging physical location.

I'd reckon they know that and were probably just being humorous.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-04, 05:08 PM
I'm looking for the lowest level of spell that can steal someone's body or age, the reason is I have an idea for gross cheese for immortality with the belt of femininity/masculinity. It needs to be permanent though otherwise it won't work so magic jar is out although that was my first thought.
A couple ways for immortality:
1) Play something that has no maximum age - such as an Elan - or get a template that (at least by flavor - technically, nothing in the Lich template specifies it stops death by old age, for instance...). No maximum age for you.
2) Get an obscure spell or feat (Wedded to History, Kissed by the Ages)
3) Find an obscure PrC that gets rid of your maximum age (Green Star Adept)
4) Mind Switch (from the True Mind Switch psionic power, to shenanigans involving multiple castings and very carefully ordered dispelling of Mind Switch or Magic Jar)
5) Craft Contingent Spell (Last Breath) (Spell Compendium) combined with ritual suicide.
6+) [Others and variations on the above]

The parenthetical note on 4 probably needs some explanation.
Magic Jar is a 5th level Sor/Wiz spell, accessible by a Wizard-9. The Psionic Power Mind Switch is basically equivalent, but is telepath specific. Shenanigans with them work the same way:
1) You get a patsy, a target, and yourself. (Y(y), T(t), and P(p))
2) Get into the body of the target (cast magic jar and posess, cast Mind Switch and posess, whatever). (Y(t), T(y), P(p))
3) Use another casting (manifesting) of magic jar or mind switch to get into the body of the patsy. (Y(t), T(p), P(y))
4) Dispel the first casting (manifesting) of Magic Jar (or Mind switch). (Y(p), T(t), P(y))
5) Dispel the second casting (manifesting) of Magic Jar (or Mind switch). (Y(p), T(y), P(t)).

The final result: The patsy is in your original body, you are in your target body, and the patsy is in your orginal body... and all magical effects involved have been dispelled.

CapnZapp
2016-08-19, 02:03 PM
Small correction:

The final result: The patsy is in your original body, you are in your target body, and the target is in your patsie's body... and all magical effects involved have been dispelled.