PDA

View Full Version : Help me create Ironman in Pathfinder

Frosty
2013-05-03, 09:10 PM
So let's say I want to create a character that is viable even in low levels, fluffed as using a mechanical suit that can shoot things and fly and do all sorts of other wonderful things. What would be the best way to do that in Pathfinder without using 3rd party materials? I'm guessing Synthesist Summoner but there's no evolution to give me a nice ranged attack at will.

avr
2013-05-03, 11:27 PM
Close, but no. What you want is the Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis) class. Full BAB, no spells, the armour customisations include Ranged Attack and Fly, and the flavour is a much closer match.

nobodez
2013-05-03, 11:34 PM
Yeah, if your GM allows 3rd Party stuff, like the aforementioned Psionics Unleached's Aegis, then yeah, that's the way to go.

Otherwise, I think Synthesist Summoner works, though as you said, there's no ranged attack.

SaintRidley
2013-05-04, 12:07 AM
By no 3rd party, that means no D&D 3.5, too, right? If it doesn't - Warforged Warlock. If not, I've got nothing.

Frosty
2013-05-04, 12:08 AM
It looked good, but the ranged attacks only does 1d8 and never improves...

And right. No 3.5 for now.

avr
2013-05-04, 12:14 AM
The ranged attack is for initial use (levels 1-3) only, really. Harness Power Stone and some psionic energy blasting power can replace it later.

JusticeZero
2013-05-04, 12:14 AM
There is a PRC that lets you combine Aegis and Soulblade, in this case the Soulbolt variant. Should give you all tee blasty you need.

avr
2013-05-04, 12:24 AM
There is a PRC that lets you combine Aegis and Soulblade, in this case the Soulbolt variant. Should give you all tee blasty you need.
Metaforge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/metaforge), that's the one. Yeah, that could do it too.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-04, 12:58 AM
What level are you playing at? If 11+, you can use Improved Eldritch Heritage (Marid bloodline) feat to pick up Water's Fury, a rather powerful at-will line attack, to go with the Synthesist build. Since the damage is untyped, you could refluff it from Water Canon to "light ray" or whatever and it wouldn't matter.

Also, while it's a pretty crummy race for a summoner, the Samaran's Mystic Past Life variant would let you gain up to 5 spells from any arcane list and add them to the summoner list, to give you some blasting options. Blasting's generally weak and sticking those spells to a 6-level class makes them seem even weaker, but it's an option... Stat-wise, Samsaran is +2 int/wis, -2 con. The int and con make sense for Tony, the wis bonus...not so much.

Frosty
2013-05-04, 01:37 AM
Hmm...Marid isn't bad at all. Although at level 11, getting a 4d6 at-will line isn't all *that* damaging. The blind looks nice though. Maybe at level 13 I can take Ability Focus if it's worth it.

What's a Samaran? Never heard of it.

As for Wis bonus...maybe spending time with Pepper has given him perspective? :smalltongue:

Bhaakon
2013-05-04, 03:25 AM
I've played an Alchemist fluffed as a mechanist before, and it worked rather well. The bombs provide an appropriate ranged attack, you can get flight via discovery at level 6, and you can easily re-fluff the mutagen and most extracts as abilities of your suit (or various other devices). You'll probably want to prestige into Master Chymist to further boost your "suit" (though it would make sense to ask your DM to hand wave the typical alter ego requirement).

Magatsu Izanagi
2013-05-04, 03:56 AM
What's a Samaran? Never heard of it.
Samsaran (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-samsaran), actually. Definitely not an optimal choice for a summoner, but if you really need blasting spells to augment the suit, mystic past life's the way to go. Maxing out UMD and carrying a buttload of wands would probably be a better way to go for your blasting needs, though.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-04, 09:59 AM
Hmm...Marid isn't bad at all. Although at level 11, getting a 4d6 at-will line isn't all *that* damaging. The blind looks nice though. Maybe at level 13 I can take Ability Focus if it's worth it.

I think the Robe of Arcane Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/robe-of-arcane-heritage) does in fact improve your Eldritch Heritage Sorceror level, btw. That'd help damage (+2d6) and save DC (+2).