PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a feat...

rweird
2013-05-04, 07:36 AM
I remember some feat that allows you to use your own CL for activating magic items, though I don't know what its from. Does anyone know? Or did I misremember something?

I'm making a character that'll make use of eternal wands to provide various low-level buffs he normally couldn't get, though I'd like them to be able to last longer.

Thanks.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-04, 01:50 PM
I don't know of any that do that, but just get a metamagic wandgrip combined with a rod of extend or the metamagic extend feat. That should make the buffs last long enough.

rot42
2013-05-04, 02:01 PM
The feat Residual Magic from Complete Mage (p 46) might be the one. It does not work in the general case, but lets you use your stats if you cast a spell from a spell or wand the round after casting the same spell yourself.

rweird
2013-05-04, 02:04 PM
I don't know of any that do that, but just get a metamagic wandgrip combined with a rod of extend or the metamagic extend feat. That should make the buffs last long enough.

I'm not familiar with Metamagic Wand Grips, what are they from? Still, with that I'd have to worry about dispels quite a bit more than I'd like. Still, better than nothing.

rot42: Nice to know, but considering that they'd be long term buffs, a higher save DC doesn't really do anything, and me not being able to cast most of them in the first place makes it not useful for this situation. Still, good to know.

nyjastul69
2013-05-04, 02:50 PM
Staffs use your casting stat and CL if it's higher than the default. They're kinda pricey though. I don't know of any feats that let you do that.

Skysaber
2013-05-04, 03:19 PM
I remember some feat that allows you to use your own CL for activating magic items, though I don't know what its from. Does anyone know? Or did I misremember something?

The feat you want is Increased Effectiveness, out of the Encyclopedia Arcane: Magic Item Creation book. You have to also have the item creation feat for the item(s) you are to use with it, but it provides any magic items you weild (that you have the item creation feats for) the save DCs, ability to pierce SR, and caster level as though you were casting the spell.

rweird
2013-05-04, 04:01 PM
The feat you want is Increased Effectiveness, out of the Encyclopedia Arcane: Magic Item Creation book. You have to also have the item creation feat for the item(s) you are to use with it, but it provides any magic items you weild (that you have the item creation feats for) the save DCs, ability to pierce SR, and caster level as though you were casting the spell.

So nothing WotC made? Okay... Maybe I just try to get the spells to be able to be cast-able, maybe spell domain and domain spontaneity.