PDA

View Full Version : [d20/PF] New Barbarian Archetype: Knothide Berserker. Peach.

Volfogg
2013-05-04, 12:23 PM
Hey Folks,
I posted this over on the paizo forums as well, posting here to see if I can get more replies then .... none. :smalltongue:

Over the last couple of days I have been checking out barbarian pics for my campaign. In doing so I realized that half of them were almost naked. All they were sporting were kilts, rather intimidating weapons and tattoos! This had me thinking, how could I do that in the current system? I looked around and could not find anything that suited my vision, so I drafted up this little diddy. Its a pretty simple concept, I just wanted to ensure that it wasn't unbalanced. So, without further ado I present to you the Knot hide Berserker

These warriors carve upon their flesh beautiful mystical tattooes of complex knotwork designs and brilliant azure hue. Once completed these markings bolster and strengthen the flesh of the character allowing them to turn aside weapon attacks as if they were wearing armor.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency (Su)
The knothide berserker looses proficiency with all armor.

Knothide Runes (Su)
The character begins play with a series of intricate tattooes which usually take the shape of interlocking knots and geometic patterns. These mystical tattooes provide protection equavalent to a chain shirt. Due to the strain of having the mystical markings added to their bodies the tattooes impose a -2 Armor Check Penalty, as well as a 20% Arcane Spell Failure Check. The Maximum Dexterity Bonus the tattooes allow is 4.

Note; the runes can be further enchanted as if they were a normal armor.

Knothide Strike (Ex)
The magical markings which grace the characters body bolster not only his defense but also the striking power of his natural attacks. The character gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat at first level.

Improved Knothide Runes (Su)
The runes upon the character's body have grown more powerful and now offer better protection. The AC bonus granted by the tattooes inscreases by 2, the Armor Check Penalty is reduced to 0, Arcane Spell Failure Check equals 10%, and the Maximum Dexterity Bonus is increased to 6.

This ability replaces the rage power normally received at 8th level.

Greater Knothide Runes (Su)
At 16th level the character undergoes another ritual which instills in his eldritch tattooes the ability to thwart devastating attacks that strike the character. This ability functions as per the Moderate Fortification armor enchantment.

Note; this ability does not stack with other similar abilities nor can it be upgraded.

This ability replaces the rage power normally recieved at 16th evel.

Any and all comments/suggestions/rants/screams/jabs/uncontrollable laughter are welcome.

Cheers
Volf

smoke prism
2013-05-04, 04:58 PM
I'm presuming that this is for pathfinder (not a system I'm fully versed in). It looks alright from my limited Knowledge of pathfinder. I also like the images it gives me in my head of a warrior-philosopher that has shunned armor (seeing it as something for the un-disciplined) for something more spiritual and mystic.

Nice job. :smallsmile:

stack
2013-05-04, 07:24 PM
Seems solid. Might want a clause about whether or not you can ugrade the mod fortification to heavy using normal enchanting (or what happens if you already have heavy fort). It should stack with invulnerable rager, so you'd have a nice theme going.

Which makes me think getting endurance instead of IAS might be nice for going down the stalwart feat tree for great DR.

Volfogg
2013-05-04, 11:59 PM
I'm presuming that this is for pathfinder (not a system I'm fully versed in). It looks alright from my limited Knowledge of pathfinder. I also like the images it gives me in my head of a warrior-philosopher that has shunned armor (seeing it as something for the un-disciplined) for something more spiritual and mystic.

Nice job. :smallsmile:
Glad ya like it! I will change the post to ensure that it's clear that this is for Pathfinder. Yup, I am hoping the imagery will play well when I introduce this sect of barbarians into my game.

Seems solid. Might want a clause about whether or not you can ugrade the mod fortification to heavy using normal enchanting (or what happens if you already have heavy fort). It should stack with invulnerable rager, so you'd have a nice theme going.

Which makes me think getting endurance instead of IAS might be nice for going down the stalwart feat tree for great DR.
Good point about clarifying the Greater Knothide Runes ability. I will add a caveat which explains how this will interact with armor enchanting. I am most likely leaning towards not allowing the ability to be upgraded. I will have to ponder this further. Yup, this archetype does "stack" with the invulnerable rager archetype. I think that would make for a pretty darn cool character.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks!!

Edit: I just realized that I have a slight problem ... I am not sure how this archetype should interact with a monk's Wisdom bonus to AC. Should it stack or should I explicitly say that it does not?

Cheers
Volf

stack
2013-05-05, 01:27 PM
It is acting as armor, so monk ac probably shouldn't stack. Not that it matters much either way, monk/barbarian is a bit awkward. Workable, I suppose, but getting a few extra AC out of the deal wouldn't be huge.

The Tyler
2013-05-05, 02:46 PM
I think it looks cool. However, you may want to add a line or two about whether anti-magic and dispel magic affect it or not. I assume not, but given how you talk about them being 'mystical' others may assume that they are magical.

Volfogg
2013-05-05, 08:25 PM
It is acting as armor, so monk ac probably shouldn't stack. Not that it matters much either way, monk/barbarian is a bit awkward. Workable, I suppose, but getting a few extra AC out of the deal wouldn't be huge.
I think you're right ... it doesn't matter either way. Although I pictured the tattoos functioning similarly to bracers of armor. Therefore, they would work with a monk's Wisdom bonus to AC. Like you mentioned above, getting a few more points of AC isn't necessasarily a big deal.

I think it looks cool. However, you may want to add a line or two about whether anti-magic and dispel magic affect it or not. I assume not, but given how you talk about them being 'mystical' others may assume that they are magical.
I would like to say that the markings do function in an AMF and cannot be dispelled. However, would this choice make them to powerful? I think posssibly yes because you can further enchant the tattoos with magical armor enhancments. Guess I will have to think about this one.

Thanks a bunch folks!

Cheers
Volf

stack
2013-05-05, 10:00 PM
I don't think its a power issue, but it would be a verisimilitude issue if they worked in an AMF. I'd mark them as (su) not (ex).

periscope69
2013-05-06, 03:49 AM
Not to be a kill joy because I like the idea, but wouldn't it be easier just to give the Knothide Barbarian a bonus to AC similar to the Monk, maybe running it off of CHA instead of WIS to represent sheer force of will (YOU CANNOT KILL ME!).

I just don't like the idea of having an armor penalty check, maximum dex, and arcane spell failure that you literally can't get rid off (even if they go down later, you still CAN'T get rid of them).

I also don't like the idea that this replaces your rage ability at levels 8 and 16, I just don't see it as worth it. Just turning in your armor proficiency should be more than enough, especially if this is subject to AMF and dispelling.

Volfogg
2013-05-06, 10:17 AM
I don't think its a power issue, but it would be a verisimilitude issue if they worked in an AMF. I'd mark them as (su) not (ex).
Think I will go with Su. This way the markings cannot be supressed by Dispel Magic, although they are in an AMF.

Not to be a kill joy because I like the idea, but wouldn't it be easier just to give the Knothide Barbarian a bonus to AC similar to the Monk, maybe running it off of CHA instead of WIS to represent sheer force of will (YOU CANNOT KILL ME!).

I just don't like the idea of having an armor penalty check, maximum dex, and arcane spell failure that you literally can't get rid off (even if they go down later, you still CAN'T get rid of them).

I also don't like the idea that this replaces your rage ability at levels 8 and 16, I just don't see it as worth it. Just turning in your armor proficiency should be more than enough, especially if this is subject to AMF and dispelling.
Oddly enough I was thinking something along the lines of the monk's bonus to AC. However, I changed my mind because I wanted to go with something a little different. The armor check penalty, as well as the other armor based restrictions, are there so that the archetype is not better than what the character could normally start with at first level. I am wondering if having the archetype give up the two rage powers is erring to much on the side of caution?

Thanks for the continued insight and suggestions folks!!

Cheers
Volf