PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing Each Stat

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-04, 03:59 PM
Inspired by glancing at the War Hulk Handbook, I was wondering... what are the general outlines for optimizing each specific Stat? I have a pretty solid notion of Strength (Size + War Hulk + Templates + Rag, but what about the other five?

And, if you do manage to optimize them, is there anything useful you can do with the result that makes it at all worthwhile?

Os1ris09
2013-05-04, 04:12 PM
Inspired by glancing at the War Hulk Handbook, I was wondering... what are the general outlines for optimizing each specific Stat? I have a pretty solid notion of Strength (Size + War Hulk + Templates + Rag, but what about the other five?

And, if you do manage to optimize them, is there anything useful you can do with the result that makes it at all worthwhile?

There are ways to increase your DEX to incredible heights. One spell gives it a +10 bonus (dont know the type) but also templates and various classes can give bonus DEX as well.

INT/WIS/CHA are all casting stats for various classes and optimizing them increase the save DC's of spells corresponding to the caster stat

angry_bear
2013-05-04, 04:27 PM
Int, Wis, and Cha the fastest I can think of is maximizing your age category, and I guess Lich or vampire would give the highest bumps for those three specific abilities? You could probably stack another template onto that as well.

Going undead is kind of the antithesis of optimizing constitution though... Although it also renders you immune to poisons, the majority of instant death attacks, and renders a lot of other constitution based checks obsolete.

HalfQuart
2013-05-04, 04:38 PM
I don't really know what you mean by "makes it all worthwhile", but this is a handy reference for finding things to do with one dominant stat: X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-04, 05:27 PM
I don't really know what you mean by "makes it all worthwhile", but this is a handy reference for finding things to do with one dominant stat: X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Well, f'rinstance, the War Hulk build is great for doing damage, cause adding Strength is all you really need - but, if it were, say increasing INT, it would not be such a good choice for most casters (as it would cripple their caster level.)

So, my question was, once you have a specific build that maximizes X, is there still anything you can do with it, given the options you've given up to get the stat that high in the first place? (Some of them are pretty obvious - Dex could turn you into a nigh-untouchable damage-dealer for the cost of... four feats, or two feats and a level of Swordsage. But I'm less sure what to do with, say, a CHA of 50+, if I lost 10 caster levels getting it.)

kulosle
2013-05-04, 05:30 PM
well the general idea is 18 base, 2 from base class, 5 from books, 5 from levels, 6 from item, at least 6 from a spell, and then try to find all the fun low level templates that ups you stat like loth touched gives +6 to str and con for only 1 level. I believe warhulk is the only class that improves a stat in a way that makes it worth it.

Azoth
2013-05-04, 05:54 PM
Depending on the stat in question your chasis is what makes it worth it.

If you can hit Int 50 with wiz 17 casting before epic...The sheer number of spells and the fact you level 9 spells are DC39 to resist (minimum) is what made it worth it.

Get a rediculous Cha on a sorcadin build (magic blooded primordial half giant +6Cha for +1LA with LA buyoff back down to LA0 yes please...add aging to taste) and prepare to watch people cry as you are untouchable by save or X types, your saves are too high to resist, ect.

Dex/Wis turn into the "Can't touch this!" dance with either massive spells or damage depending.

Con turns into the "Guy who just won't die!"

Gnome Alone
2013-05-04, 06:52 PM
Con turns into the "Guy who just won't die!"
Tremble in fear before my ability to... NOT DIE!

Urpriest
2013-05-04, 08:35 PM
Wis is actually pretty easy. Owl's Insight gives + half CL to Wis as an Insight bonus. Use various forms of CL boosting, and your Wis can easily become godlike.