PDA

View Full Version : Vest of the master evoker

EmperorSarda
2013-05-04, 06:33 PM
So I am confused on the reading of Vest of the Master Evoker. It says it deals additional damage to twice the spell level. So if you're a 5th level wizard casting fireball, it does 10d6 instead of 5d6? Does that mean the caster is out of luck when he is at a high enough level since spells max out? Like if was a 6th level wizard casting fireball and using the vest, it would still do 10d6, not 12d6? Or what about Shout, it still stays at 5d6 damage since it doesn't change based on level, correct?

Am I reading it right?

tyckspoon
2013-05-04, 06:36 PM
"Spell level" refers to the entry after Wizard/Sorc in the spell listing. Fireball is a Level 3 spell; if you cast one while wearing said Vest, you will deal an extra 6 damage. This is not to be confused with Caster Level, which provides the x in the 'this spell does xd6' formula (your level 5 Wizard is capable of casting 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells at a Caster Level of 5.)

jindra34
2013-05-04, 06:37 PM
No, it does additional damage (not dice there of) equal to SPELL LEVEL (not caster level). Which means fireball does a whopping 3 more damage. No matter what your caster level is.

Ninjaed by tyckspoon, who got it better.

EmperorSarda
2013-05-04, 06:38 PM
Oh, suddenly I am very disappointed in this item.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-04, 06:48 PM
If there were arcane evocation spells that dealt ability damage or even ability drain, the vest would be quite powerful. But I don't think that there's any such spell.

jindra34
2013-05-04, 06:57 PM
If there were arcane evocation spells that dealt ability damage or even ability drain, the vest would be quite powerful. But I don't think that there's any such spell.

And even if there were/are the rules from the Complete Arcane would turn that bonus into plain old negative energy damage. So that doesn't even work. WotC apparently hates anything that might give melee nice things.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-04, 07:14 PM
And even if there were/are the rules from the Complete Arcane would turn that bonus into plain old negative energy damage. So that doesn't even work. WotC apparently hates anything that might give melee nice things.

...."melee"? :smallconfused:

Scow2
2013-05-04, 07:42 PM

How is not allowing a spellcaster to do obscene amounts of ability/level drain damage gimping melee in any way, shape, or form?

Eurus
2013-05-04, 07:46 PM
How is not allowing a spellcaster to do obscene amounts of ability/level drain damage gimping melee in any way, shape, or form?

I think the rule might've been originally designed in reference to sneak attack? I know that sneak attacking with an attack that deals exclusively ability damage is supposed to result in negative energy damage dice, so I assume it's the same rule.

jindra34
2013-05-04, 08:04 PM
I think the rule might've been originally designed in reference to sneak attack? I know that sneak attacking with an attack that deals exclusively ability damage is supposed to result in negative energy damage dice, so I assume it's the same rule.

Yes its that rule. They just worded it very generally, so even if the intent was only for sneak attacks, skirimish, sudden strike and similar abilities to get affected by it, it affects everything that increases the damage of those spells without actually modifying the numbers (like empower does).

Khedrac
2013-05-06, 02:37 AM

Look at the spell Parboil from Sandstorm. However as people have said this won't boost it.