PDA

View Full Version : Attack their xp?

elonin
2013-05-04, 08:00 PM
Is there a longer term version of enervation that could take some targets xp? How much memory can you remove using mind rape?

Amnestic
2013-05-04, 08:03 PM
How much memory can you remove using mind rape?

All of it.

kiryoku
2013-05-04, 08:07 PM
But I do beleive it does massive damage to the persons mind causing insanity or I might be thinking of another spell. Also it erases or adds. Not takes so you gain nothing from it.

elonin
2013-05-04, 08:32 PM
My question wasn't about a transfer of xp. With how popular the spell is this hasn't been stated as a possibility. Is there a lower level spell to accomplish the same thing?

Also, from a char op point of view is there a way to raise your level with this? I'm thinking make a clone, mind rape it to add some experience, then have it use the thought bottle. Use the thought bottle yourself.

sreservoir
2013-05-04, 08:34 PM
it doesn't do that.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-04, 08:40 PM
Mindrape is often talked about in theory, and is pretty useful, but much less practical than you might think.

Your clone has no mind, I don't think, until you transfer into it. The clone spell creates a mindless body.

Furthermore, I think there is a distinction to be made between memories and experience. They aren't equivalent. Memories are only things in-game insofar as spells or abilities manipulate then. Mechanically, they don't really have a benefit. Plot-wise, of course, memories are very important, but unless a memory-manipulating spell/ability specifically mentions an effect on experience points or negative levels, then acquisition or loss of memories is only a plot thing.

At least, this is as far as I know.

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-04, 10:35 PM
This monster can steal memories and gain their class abilities. Not really suitable for players unless you can get it with polymorph cheese.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20030727a

Slipperychicken
2013-05-04, 11:15 PM
Removing someone's experience points does not remove her memory, nor is the reverse true. A person mindraped to have no memory at all will retain all her abilities and class levels.

If you want to mess with someone's feats and skillpoints, you could always use Psychic Reformation on them.

awa
2013-05-04, 11:27 PM
mind rape cant affect class level or experience in any way
you can convince the monk hes actually a wizard but he will still have his fast movement and wis to ac even if he cant figure out how he learned to do that.

also only the creature that stuck the experience in the bottle can use the experience so no aspect of that plan works

Telonius
2013-05-04, 11:42 PM
Is there a longer term version of enervation that could take some targets xp? How much memory can you remove using mind rape?

As far as I know, the only way you lose XP is through death (True Resurrection brings them back without XP loss, but otherwise there's a level lost), from casting a spell with an XP component, or through crafting. Obviously any spell that kills a person would decrease their XP. You could Suggest that the person cast a high-XP-cost spell, or donate XP for someone who's crafting items (or craft the item themselves, if applicable).

TuggyNE
2013-05-04, 11:46 PM
As far as I know, the only way you lose XP is through death (True Resurrection brings them back without XP loss, but otherwise there's a level lost), from casting a spell with an XP component, or through crafting. Obviously any spell that kills a person would decrease their XP. You could Suggest that the person cast a high-XP-cost spell, or donate XP for someone who's crafting items (or craft the item themselves, if applicable).

Two things to keep in mind here: first, that crafting and spell XP costs cannot actually lower their level, only slow down future advancement; and second, that NPCs do not necessarily gain XP or levels in the way PCs do, so reducing the XP they have available is only able to slow down their advancement in the vaguest and most ill-defined of ways.

elonin
2013-05-05, 12:56 PM
If you make it so that someone lost their last adventure as though they were an amnesiac they loose the experiences they faced, hence xp lost.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-05-05, 12:59 PM
If you make it so that someone lost their last adventure as though they were an amnesiac they loose the experiences they faced, hence xp lost.

That's a houserule. It may make sense but it's certainly not RAW.

Renen
2013-05-05, 02:06 PM
Theres another spell similar to mindrape that removes memories, and gives you negative levels because of it. Just cant remember the name.

SaintRidley
2013-05-05, 02:09 PM
Theres another spell similar to mindrape that removes memories, and gives you negative levels because of it. Just cant remember the name.

Programmed Amnesia, Complete Arcane.

Renen
2013-05-05, 02:12 PM
Thats the one!

Coidzor
2013-05-05, 02:29 PM

That's a houserule, and so in the DM's hands and a DM doing that to his players is a rather blatant *********.

Renen
2013-05-05, 02:45 PM
Programmed amnesia:

You can selectively destroy, alter, or implant memories in the target creature as you see fit.

Negative Levels: You can bestow a number of negative levels equal to 1/2 the subject's character level or less.
This effect represents erasure of class knowledge and training.

You were saying?

Amnestic
2013-05-05, 03:06 PM
Programmed amnesia:

You can selectively destroy, alter, or implant memories in the target creature as you see fit.

Negative Levels: You can bestow a number of negative levels equal to 1/2 the subject's character level or less.
This effect represents erasure of class knowledge and training.

You were saying?

It's a houserule for Mindrape but not Programmed Amnesia. They can have similar effects with regards to RP, but not mechanics.

Renen
2013-05-05, 03:07 PM
Well, atleast this part is completely uncalled for
DM doing that to his players is a rather blatant *********. Seeing as a DM doing that to his players, actually has basis on which to base the house rule.

Chronos
2013-05-05, 07:25 PM
Anyone ever see The Bourne Identity? The main character has had his memory wiped, but still has all of his super-secret-agent abilities. That's what Mindrape does.

Renen
2013-05-05, 07:43 PM
What Programmed amnesia does is also remove your muscle memory apparently.

Amnestic
2013-05-05, 08:06 PM
Well, atleast this part is completely uncalled for Seeing as a DM doing that to his players, actually has basis on which to base the house rule.

Sure, he has a basis, but it's a house rule made with the deliberate intention of screwing over a player, which is why it's probably considered a [not nice word] move on the DM's part.

Sith_Happens
2013-05-05, 09:21 PM
Is there a longer term version of enervation that could take some targets xp?

That's exactly what Energy Drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/energyDrain.htm) is.