PDA

View Full Version : Stance Understanding Help ?

Dracofist
2013-05-04, 09:05 PM
I am going over Warblades and i noticed something a bit stupid
if there is no way around it.

It says warblades get a total of 4 know stances
you can not replace old ones. ok np.

Your second stance you can learn is at lvl 4....
this is 1 lvl before the new stances are available. wtf ?
am i required to take two lvl 1 stances?

My question is does it say somewere you can hold off
on learning stances until higher lvls and pick just the 4
you really want ? or must you learn a new stance the
second it becomes available when you lvl.

Crake
2013-05-04, 09:24 PM
I am going over Warblades and i noticed something a bit stupid
if there is no way around it.

It says warblades get a total of 4 know stances
you can not replace old ones. ok np.

Your second stance you can learn is at lvl 4....
this is 1 lvl before the new stances are available. wtf ?
am i required to take two lvl 1 stances?

My question is does it say somewere you can hold off
on learning stances until higher lvls and pick just the 4
you really want ? or must you learn a new stance the
second it becomes available when you lvl.

I actually noticed this same issue for my warblade in an upcoming game and I was wondering the exact same thing.

Malroth
2013-05-04, 09:36 PM
Fighter 2 before taking warblade, problem solved.

navar100
2013-05-04, 10:11 PM
It's a well known error. Crusaders get it worse. They can't get their 8th level stance among other issues.

There are several solutions.

1) Lump it. Want the stance? Take Martial Stance feat.

2) Multiclass 2 levels in another class. Your initiator level corrects itself, allowing you to take the level appropriate stance when available. Crusaders still need to take Martial Stance feat for their 3rd level stance.

3) Delay stance progression by one level for all levels 2+. Crusaders still need to take Martial Stance feat for their 3rd level stance. Still allow Swordsage his new stance at 20th level.

4) Dump the rule can't change stance known. Add house rule: A martial adept can change a stance known at 5th level and every 5 levels there after.

I prefer option 4.

TuggyNE
2013-05-05, 12:20 AM
It's a well known error. Crusaders get it worse. They can't get their 8th level stance among other issues.

There are several solutions.

1) Lump it. Want the stance? Take Martial Stance feat.

2) Multiclass 2 levels in another class. Your initiator level corrects itself, allowing you to take the level appropriate stance when available. Crusaders still need to take Martial Stance feat for their 3rd level stance.

3) Delay stance progression by one level for all levels 2+. Crusaders still need to take Martial Stance feat for their 3rd level stance. Still allow Swordsage his new stance at 20th level.

4) Dump the rule can't change stance known. Add house rule: A martial adept can change a stance known at 5th level and every 5 levels there after.

I prefer option 4.

I suggest combining 3 and 4, personally. :smallwink:

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-05, 12:26 AM
The level of "awesome concept, half-witted implementation" in ToB is among the highest in 3e. Only true masterworks like Truenamer can compete, imho.

If your DM is up for houseruling stuff, this is definitely an instance where it is called for. Impact on balance is minimal, especially since much of this is around the time 3rd level spells come online and beyond, and the gap between mundanes and casters only grows. It's pretty much RAI that the progression would make sense (since they did make it non-retrainable, you'd think it would at least be USEFUL).

I have similar feelings about high-level people multiclassing into martial adept classes being required to take a 1st level stance...when resources of this nature would be best devoted to level appropriate abilities.

Barsoom
2013-05-05, 01:27 AM
I just changed it so whenever a martial adept has the opportunity to replace a maneuver, he may replace a maneuver or a stance. Worked well so far.