PDA

View Full Version : Mouse problems (My trackpad is fine)

Sparrow
2013-05-04, 10:34 PM
I may be wrong, but I'll assume this is where this thread goes.

I have a mouse problem, the darn thing has been keeping me up at nights, and I'm going insane. I was thinking about killing it,which is completely out of character for me anyway, but some friends convinced me not to.

So, I must capture the thing alive. My current plan is a metal coffee can, not one of the small ones, a bigger one, with peanut butter in it. There is a ramp going up to it. My first question, would this work to catch it alive, or could it climb up the inside and escape.

If it could climb out and escape, what would you guys suggest to catch it alive?

Edit: This thing has kept me up for two weeks, and I don't know how much longer I can last with out breaking down and shooting up my room every time I hear a noise.

Edge of Dreams
2013-05-05, 12:34 AM
I have no personal experience with this directly, but my grandparents used to catch and remove rodents from their property with humane non-lethal traps all the time. A quick google for "humane mouse trap" finds options such as this one for under $20: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Mouse-Trap-Humane-Mousetrap/dp/B000YFA7HW It may just be worth searching around for an affordable one and spending the money rather than trying to construct your own.

Regarding the coffee can idea: the sides of the can would need to be taller than the full length of the mouse stretched out, or else he'll just get his paws up on the rim and climb out. You'd also want to secure it somehow so he can't knock it over.

EDIT: Realized I ought to add, a hardware and home supply store like Lowe's or Home Depot probably carries humane traps as well.

TaiLiu
2013-05-05, 12:40 AM
When my family used to have problems with mice, we purchased sticky mouse traps that captured rodents by grabbing onto their skin. This can be a bit cruel, but it was successful.

factotum
2013-05-05, 12:57 AM
I'm sure you can get humane traps for mice that have a one-way door in them--the mouse goes in after the food but can't get out, and you can then do with it as you wish. Found this site, but it's UK based--no idea if you can get these where you are:

http://www.humanemousetrap.co.uk/

Sparrow
2013-05-05, 08:53 AM
Okay, thanks guys. I tried a humane trap but somehow the thing broke it, not like the trap didn't trigger, the mouse literally broke it. But, maybe a different one will work. Thanks again for the advice.