PDA

View Full Version : Craft Construct

Telonius
2013-05-04, 11:29 PM
I'm soon to be DM-ing a campaign. One of the players is very new, but really wants to play a "Girl Genius" inspired character, something like Agatha. So, I'll be steering her towards Artificer (and handling most of the math and paperwork of crafting, at least at first).

One thing that I'm sure she'll want to do, is create a bunch of constructs similar to the Dingbots (http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Dingbots). Most of these little guys aren't particularly tough, and would probably be better represented by Tiny Animated Objects than refluffed Homunculi. So, I'm considering suggesting that she take the Craft Construct feat and setting up a price for crafting Animated Objects.

So, what do you think would be a reasonable cost for creating these things? 200gp 8xp, animate objects and unseen servant? More, less? Or should I even charge for them, since she'll probably want to use them more for awesome than for combat?

Urpriest
2013-05-05, 12:02 AM
While the Dingbots are weaker than Eberron Homunculi, they fill essentially the same thematic niche (namely, little cheap constructs that do useful stuff and really like their creator), so I would encourage that they be used even without refluffing. They won't look the same, but they shouldn't: it's a different setting.

If you really want Animated Objects, though, having Animate Objects as a prerequisite is a bit pointless since if you can cast Animate Objects then you can just cast Animate Objects. Make a scroll of that, a scroll of Permanency, and tada, you get 9 or more of the little guys in one go. If you want them accessible before level 9 then you should either make it a specialized, weaker homunculus, or change the pre-reqs.

kiryoku
2013-05-05, 12:52 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177.0

This also might take some of the weight off your shoulders looking for different ones that fits what she wants more. also shes going to be able to make those things cheaper gp and xp wise with two feats the Artificer gets for free as bonus feats. also you get a good number of abilities that help with crafting just about anything she could want. for a class the is not arcane or divine its better then both at making things at high level. and the class gets crafting xp that dosn't hurt its leveling up. It also can make the homunculus at early levels. it gets a feat just for that. also if shes going to make golems alot later tell her the PRC golem master will help alot lowering the xp and gp cost by 50% its in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide its a seven level dip for stronger constructs or five if you just want cheaper. it also will let her animate objects once a day and a gargoyle once a day. if you want some dragon mag stuff I know of a few things that would help. and I think there is a feat magic artisan in the forgotten realms campaign setting book as well. that helps with the costs.

Mithril Leaf
2013-05-05, 01:12 AM
Savage Species has Minor Servitor, a spell that makes permanent intelligent animated objects for 250 xp and a 5th level slot. They can only be tiny, so it works out well. Maybe give a discount or something from that?

Skysaber
2013-05-05, 01:34 AM
Savage Species has Minor Servitor, a spell that makes permanent intelligent animated objects for 250 xp and a 5th level slot. They can only be tiny, so it works out well. Maybe give a discount or something from that?

I thought Minor Servitor animated by the square foot, so if you had bunches of diminutive watches with arms you could animate the lot of them for 250xp.

Also Artificer, while as close as WOTC comes to a good Girl Genius Spark! is not really a good fit.

What you want for her is the Inventor class out of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor: Clock & Steam. You only need the one book, as it's all contained in Clock & Steam. Inventor is a 20 level base class, and it has more or less all of the flavor of Girl Genius. She can invent stuff slow and careful to have it permanent, but she can also cobble together spare parts in an instant to have whatever she needs to have, within the limit of her known inventions.

So lightning guns, temporary golems, knockout gas, jump jets, it's all in there with the steampunk already built in, no need to reflavor or approximate. This is not some spell monkey who has been given a different hat and shaved the beard, it's the genuine article of what you're looking for.

kiryoku
2013-05-05, 01:37 PM
XD Skysaber you are very knowledgeable of stuff relating constructs and building stuff. By the way I was told about most of the stuff i said by Skysaber.