PDA

View Full Version : Assisstance in creating a -=divine=- cleric...

DreamQuestin
2013-05-05, 12:10 AM
Greetings and good morrow folks!

I have been playing RPGs for 32 years, so my request isn't merely a "I am a newb help!" sort of thing. I have joined an online play by post campaign and given stats that make me afraid to create a character!

Stat rolls for human cleric, level five - 22, 20, 20, 19, 17 and 15 (before level adjustment). Obscene and unbelievable stats to be sure. I dare not sully them with an unworthy character!:biggrin:

What we know: Deity is the Sovereign Host from Eberron. Classes were only permitted from PH and DMG. For skills, feats etc, anything we can cite is probably acceptable.

I want her to be able to heal, but I am thinking with stats like that she should be able to be far more rounded than the average cleric, can she not?

I welcome ideas on how to make her as stellar as her stats.

Thank you kindly for your time

With a smile,
DreamQuestin:biggrin:

Urpriest
2013-05-05, 12:24 AM
With those stats, you could gish it up no problem. It's a bit annoying that you don't have access to classes outside of DMG and PHB, especially since the other descriptions of the campaign make it sound like that has nothing to do with the power level. By the way, what stat generation method are you using anyway?

I'd probably grab something like Str 20 Dex 17 Con 19 Int 15 Wis 22 Cha 20

With Cha 20, you have 8 base turning attempts before stat boosts, feats, and items. That's already more than enough to DMM Persist one spell, and Extra Turning and a Reliquary Holy Symbol gets you to two. Then it's a question of whether you can stack Nightsticks and how many buffs to Cha you can layer on.

What's your starting level?

DreamQuestin
2013-05-05, 12:30 AM
With those stats, you could gish it up no problem. It's a bit annoying that you don't have access to classes outside of DMG and PHB, especially since the other descriptions of the campaign make it sound like that has nothing to do with the power level. By the way, what stat generation method are you using anyway?

I'd probably grab something like Str 20 Dex 17 Con 19 Int 15 Wis 22 Cha 20

With Cha 20, you have 8 base turning attempts before stat boosts, feats, and items. That's already more than enough to DMM Persist one spell, and Extra Turning and a Reliquary Holy Symbol gets you to two. Then it's a question of whether you can stack Nightsticks and how many buffs to Cha you can layer on.

What's your starting level?
5th level.

See, I am glad I asked for guidance, I was leaning toward the 22 being in Int, giving me 72 skill points to play with :) and three feats.

I am eager to hear the ideas though. Oh - also, she is Chaotic Good.

With a smile,
DreamQuestin

Azoth
2013-05-05, 12:41 AM
If DMM: Persist is the route, Divine Power is a must. Since that will synch up BAB, see if you can go Cloistered Cleric variant from UA (also in the SRD). That will give you 6+int skill points and the Knowledge Domain. Trade away two domains for their corresponding devotions from CC. Protection is a good one for this, so is Travel.

Urpriest
2013-05-05, 12:42 AM
5th level.

See, I am glad I asked for guidance, I was leaning toward the 22 being in Int, giving me 72 skill points to play with :) and three feats.

I am eager to hear the ideas though. Oh - also, she is Chaotic Good.

With a smile,
DreamQuestin

To be fair, going crazy on the skill points is nice...but Clerics don't get a huge assortment of class skills, and you can't (from how I'm reading things) take Cloistered Cleric since it's not from the PHB. Given that you've got starting scores above 18, the other players probably will to, so someone will cover most of the available skills.

5th level...with just Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, and Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell you can have a single spell persisted, which can be, for example, Mass Lesser Vigor to cover all your out of combat healing needs or Ice Axe to give you a kickass melee weapon. If you can afford a Nightstick and a Reliquary Holy Symbol you can persist the other spell as well.

Domainwise, I'd pick Luck as a nice workhorse domain. Beyond that, I'd try to cover whatever capabilities are missing in the party. Magic to make you more versatile, Knowledge if nobody's covering that aspect of things, Travel (does the Sovereign Host offer that?) if nobody has teleportation magic.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-05, 01:04 AM
Knowledge Devotion is a lovely feat, even if you don't get it free through Cloistered Cleric. Just blow your skillpoints on the creature-knowledge skills and get a free +tohit and damage against everything (even without a good Knowledge bonus, it's outright better than Weapon Focus). Knowledge skills have the secondary effect of letting you use enemies' inherent weaknesses without looking like a metagaming tool.

This character will probably be okay at archery without even trying, so you might as well give her a Composite Longbow up to his Strength bonus just in case someone breaks out the flying enemies before you can catch up with them. Then, you look cool because you're actually hitting and dealing 1d6+5 instead of 1d10. Zen Archery (Complete Warrior) adds Wisdom to ranged attack rolls, not that this character will need it anyway with her massive stats.

I don't need to tell you that 2H power attack = gewd. So if you want to have all the fun of repeatedly dozing off until your turn comes back around and saying "I swing it again, power attack for 2" until the DM describes it falling over and dying, look no further. If you go this route I suggest slapping that 22 on Strength so you get a nice round +9 Strength bonus to damage.

kiryoku
2013-05-05, 01:11 AM
In Eberron you can use any domain as any cleric. be a lawful good cleric with the evil and chaos domains the gods could care less. its part of the setting. I know its odd if you played any other setting but its how it works. so pick any domains the host dosn't care in the slightest. also in that setting undead have a more playing with fire feel as long as its not like a ghoul or vampire. instead of the ITS UNDEAD KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL IT feel in most other settings. Heck the elves have a massive army of undead and no one cares.

Edit: my bad thats the only thing your not aloud to do with domains. is take the opposite of your alinement and thats only if you don't have a god and just worship the dragons above in general. x.x sorry tired and brains on derp mode atm.

Edit2: to quote the book

"CLERICS AND DEITIES
Eberron is not blessed (or cursed) with deities that walk
the land and take an active role in mortal affairs. Indeed,
whether the deities even truly grant divine spellcasting
ability to their clerics remains an open question, since
even corrupt clerics can cast spells.
Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells: In place of
the sample deities presented in the Player’s Handbook, a
cleric must select a church or deity from those indicated
on the Clerics and Churches table. The deities are more
fully described beginning on page 67. Additionally, this
table mentions domains that do not appear in the Player’s
Handbook; these new domains are detailed in Chapter
5: Magic.
You may also decide that your cleric has no deity
but instead channels divine power from the spiritual
remnants of the Dragon Above. Select two domains that
refl ect the cleric’s spiritual inclination and abilities. The
restriction on alignment domains still applies.
Following a Pantheon: Clerics may choose to
devote themselves to the entire pantheon of the Sovereign
Host (or the Dark Six) rather than choosing a
single patron deity from the group. These clerics may
choose their two domains from among all the domains
offered by all the deities of the pantheon. A cleric
can only select an alignment domain if his alignment
matches that domain."

Edit3: just spoted he said this only. XD god my brain tonight.
"The Sovereign Host
Arawai, God of Agriculture/ Neutral good/ Good, Life, Plant, Weather
Aureon, God of Law and Knowledge/ Lawful neutral/ Knowledge, Law, Magic
Balinor, God of Beasts and the Hunt/ Neutral/ Air, Animal, Earth
Boldrei, God of Community and Hearth/ Lawful good/ Community, Good, Law, Protection
Dol Arrah, God of Honor and Sacrifi ce/ Lawful good/ Good, Law, Sun, War
Dol Dorn, God of Strength at Arms/ Chaotic good/ Chaos, Good, Strength, War
Kol Korran, God of Trade and Wealth/ Neutral/ Charm, Commerce, Travel
Olladra, God of Feast and Good Fortune/ Neutral good/ Feast, Good, Healing, Luck
Onatar, God of Artifi ce and the Forge/ Neutral good/ Artifice, Fire, Good"

Urpriest
2013-05-05, 10:19 AM
Incidentally, it saddens me that you're a cleric of the Sovereign Host who can't take Sovereign Speaker.

Muggins
2013-05-05, 10:32 AM
Incidentally, it saddens me that you're a cleric of the Sovereign Host who can't take Sovereign Speaker.

It's surprising that the OP even got Sovereign Host as the source of their power, what with the Sovereign Host being from outside the PHB or DMG and all.

Speaking of which, I can't think of any legitimate reason to be a servant of the Sovereign Host if you're not looking for the Weapon Proficiency+Focus (Longsword) - even then, there are (arguably) better deities and better weapons (the scimitar or greatsword, for starters). The heavy mace serves you as well as the Longsword in most situations anyway.

Urpriest
2013-05-05, 10:46 AM
It's surprising that the OP even got Sovereign Host as the source of their power, what with the Sovereign Host being from outside the PHB or DMG and all.

Speaking of which, I can't think of any legitimate reason to be a servant of the Sovereign Host if you're not looking for the Weapon Proficiency+Focus (Longsword) - even then, there are (arguably) better deities and better weapons (the scimitar or greatsword, for starters). The heavy mace serves you as well as the Longsword in most situations anyway.

Sovereign Host means that Substitute Domain gives you access to a huge number of extra choices. Come to think of it, should have mentioned that earlier: Substitute Domain is really nice for you.

Edit: This has a good breakdown of all the domain options available. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866706/The_Guide_to_Sovereign_Speakers_and_Other_Domain_U sers)

Since your PrC options are so limited, you might as well go for Thaumaturgist eventually. It's kind of a ways off though.