PDA

View Full Version : Having fun with a fighter?

bobthehero
2013-05-05, 12:43 AM
So tomorrow I'll start a game of Pathfinder as the fighter of the party, we'll be at level 1.

The only extra book we'll use will be the Advanced one.

The party will have a CN ranger, CN sorcerer, a witch, a NG cleric and a druid.

Now I don't think the party is big on cheese, especially since half of it hasn't played DnD or Pathfinder (DM did, and he DM'd our Only War campaign), however on the other hand, we do like to avoid death in general and we do optimize our characters, at least a little bit (except for the ranger).

Question is, considering I'll be playing one of the weakest class of the group, I am afraid I'll be either useless or irrelevant to the group.

I'll be CN as well, any ways to step in?

Regitnui
2013-05-05, 01:17 AM
Not that I've played pathfinder ever, but the fighter is a nice way to have fun throughout the game, if you're a roleplayer. Or you can be a student of the martial arts, using as many exotic and martial weapons as humanoidly possible.

Or, chaotic neutral, you can be the party's resident metal-wearing thug, and play that to the hilt. "Is it worth something? Can I smash it?" can be your entire thought process on meeting/finding new people/things. Leave the talking to the bard. You know how to wield a dwarven ugrosh, a double scimitar and a net, and you can do so far better than the rest of the party.

Dayaz
2013-05-05, 12:34 PM
If you play a Two Handed fighter, you can get an extra damage on a full attack, and if you make your 2h weapon (which should totally be a greatsword btw) adamantium, you can sunder things by just attacking them.

I had a 2h fighter who had a habit of cutting down pillars onto the boss and cutting buildings/platforms out from underneath the boss's feet. It was a blast.

JellyPooga
2013-05-05, 01:10 PM
Fighters at low levels are immense fun. Even at higher levels, there's no guarantee that you'll be completely obfuscated by the other classes power-wise and there's even a certain amount of enjoyment to be had simply tagging along and letting the other do the work, if you are...just look at them as "loyal retainers", even if they don't see themselves that way. :smallwink:

Whilst the Greatsword is statistically the "best" weapon available, it's also really boring. "Oh look, another greatsword wielding lunatic in plate mail". Fighters can be so much more. They may not be 'optimal' choices, but I've always found it immensely more fun playing a character with a background that actually matches his in-game abilities (I mean, seriously...where are all these PC Fighters learning to use a damn greatsword anyway?)

Be a "Lancer" - wield polearms, wear light armour and stick ranks in Ride (even if you don't have a horse). If you want an idea of what an unmounted lancer looks like, go watch the opening sequence of "Fearless" (Jet Li).

Be a "Bounty Hunter" - rope, tie and brand 'em...use disarming weapons, non-lethal damage, grapple and manacles to take 'em alive and sell them to the highest bidder; if the law don't want 'em, take a trip down the docks...I'm sure there'll be a Captain in search of more "volunteers" for oar-duty.

Be "Ex-Militia" - You're most comfortable with ill-fitting chainmail and a hand-me-down halberd and you're really good at standing still for long periods of time. Seriously, you never get bored on watch. Gives you plenty of time to dream up crazy schemes that you constantly pester your companions with.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-05, 02:05 PM
Relevant question: are you asking for build advice, or for role-playing advice?

bobthehero
2013-05-05, 02:58 PM
Mostly rp, but I won't spit on ideas to make the character a bit better to ensure that I am not the secondary fighter because the druids feels like going in combat.

I'll be using a longsword and shield (if I am the target, if the monster's attacking a teamate I ditch the shield and whack it with both hands) with plate armor. Kinda run of the mill set up, but that's what I've always liked, thanks for the ideas, should've mentionned in my op. I also sorta conviced my DM to let me use different combat styles with the longsword, for example half-swording to do pierce damage or pommel striking to deal blunt dmg.

Edit: his background is that he was an enforcer in a bandit group, bossing people around, he took up longsword training because his mother is an elf bandit who taugh him how to use longswords.