View Full Version : Magic Jar, Clone, and Immortality

PlusSixPelican
2013-05-05, 01:44 AM
I'm not sure if using Magic Jar and Clones (as per the spell), would let you be effectively immortal, since it's identical to your original body genetically. What are the other options for immortality (of the cease aging variety) without being a Lich, Vampire, or doing something explicitly evil?

Skysaber
2013-05-05, 01:55 AM
Reincarnate explicitly states that it gives you a brand new, young adult body. There is even a spell reincarnates you without level loss if cast on you the round after you die. Then you can use Miracle to resume your old race/looks.

The only problem is that it doesn't work if you die via old age. So, take up some very violent, dangerous sports around the time you hit venerable.

Oh, and as an added bonus, you keep acquiring mental bonuses as you go up age categories, but the physical penalties go away each time you get a young new body.

There is also a spell out of Dragon Magazine that makes you immortal (ie, immune to age, can live eternally until you die of violence), but it is tied to an object that can get lost/stolen, etc.

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-05-05, 01:59 AM
Elan (Expanded Psionics Handbook) and Warforged (Eberron Campaign Setting) are both LA+0 races that I believe are immortal, or as close as makes no difference. Green Start Adept (Complete Arcane) is a prestige class that turns you into a construct, which makes you immortal; however, this prestige class is widely seen as subpar for a variety of reasons (loses 5 caster levels, requires monetary expenditure for advancement, et cetera). Also the epic feat Extended Life Span (Epic Level Handbook), if repeatedly taken, can extend your life span indefinitely. Also the Reincarnation and the Dragon Magazine things that Skysaber mentioned. There are probably other methods, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Not sure about Magic Jar/Clone. Hopefully someone else can answer that query.

DeusMortuusEst
2013-05-05, 02:25 AM
Here's a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0). I think it contains most of the various ways to become immortal.

sreservoir
2013-05-05, 02:51 PM
a newer edition of that handbook exists. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1179.0)

also consider asking how unguent of timelessness might apply.

Mando Knight
2013-05-05, 03:04 PM
Idea: Circle of the Phoenix Druids. A motley circle of druids who prolong their lives indefinitely by a combination of adventuring (to restore lost levels) and Reincarnation or Last Breath (to start over from Adult with all of the old Int/Wis/Cha bonuses). Led by a handsome young adult with the memories and experience of a thousand lifetimes. Could be introduced into a campaign when a player character dies... have them stumble upon the Circle conducting a ritual incineration of a Venerable member.

Telok
2013-05-05, 05:14 PM
In my games I simply let Limited Wish stop you from aging for one month or Wish for six months.

Mind you, I also keep track of current vs. max age too. Better not miss that monthly casting if you're past your maximum age.