PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Factotum/Warblade worth it?

SciChronic
2013-05-05, 05:42 AM
So the group i play with will be starting a the Shadowdale campaign. I played through a small part of it years ago, and all i can remember is a realm of shadow, a tear, and magic getting all wonky, oh, and lizard men.

now the majority of the group is rather inexperience with DnD, and by that i mean only me and the DM have really played. Because of this i intend on limiting myself to tier 3 so that i don't look like i completely outshine my group in every way. so my initial aim was to be the skillmonkey for the group, and i settled on the factotum to do so, i mean whats better for a skill monkey than every single skill as a class skill? but after choosing this i felt that i wanted to have at least some combat effectiveness. i felt a level into cloistered cleric for 3 devotion feats, namely destruction and knowledge helped out a lot on that front, but i still felt something was lacking, and i set out to find a class to complement my factotum levels. I settled on Warblade due to maneuver access along with intelligence synergy. making the class composition factotum 8/cloistered cleric 1/ warblade X.

But here's the issue. is taking Warblade levels worth it? i feel that this gives me MAD due to the natural need for str,dex, and con for melee fighters on top of my extreme int needs for being a factotum and skillmonkey. I'm also really feat starved after taking Font of Inspiration 4 times even with 2 flaws. The original goal was to be able to use surges during combat to give myself an edge in combat by using travel devotion to get move + full attack, and then using surges for a maneuver to end resulting in move>surge>maneuver>fullattack. but i can't tell if this character build is worth making, or if i should just make a pure factotum, or pure warblade.

Additional Info:
We'll likely be using a 32 point buy system to give the new players some above average characters.

ddude987
2013-05-05, 06:16 AM
Well firstly I will say that with a new group of players you could make a 20 fighter completely outshine them so the tier system means nothing. The tiers are based on equal optimization and if new players are making their characters themselves that won't likely happen.

Now then, factotum is THE skill monkey. It is also the very top of tier 3. The build you exampled looks cool except I am not sure what the cleric level is for? Warblade is a very effective class but as you mentioned it does increase MAD. I would say from an "I don't want to optimize just be effective" standpoint, go full factotum.

It gives you a bit of casting to play around with and all the skill points and skills you will ever need. With knowledge devotion it can even do a decent amount of damage. Or you can build it into a trip fighter and act as crowd control.

SciChronic
2013-05-05, 06:40 AM
taking cloistered cleric is at least free knowledge devotion, but you can also convert your other 2 domains into devotions, so 3 free feats, plus i get turning meaning i can expend turning to use the other devotion feats more than once per day travel and destruction devotions only last 1 minute, and can only be used once per day.

being a trip fighter is an issue due to many feats already being taken by Font of Inspiration. I'll have at least 4, allowing me to surge up to 5 times per encounter if i dont use the IP for other things. weapon wise my best option would be a spiked chain for the reach for both 5 and 10 feet considering i can use enlarge person on myself (sadly only 1/day). but i would also need knockdown to trip effectively and obviously combat expertise, improved trip, combat reflexes, etc... theres also an issue about requirement collisions.

Eldariel
2013-05-05, 06:56 AM
Factotum/Warblade works fine. Strikes synergize amazingly with Cunning Surge and Brains over Brawn is nice for anyone interested in e.g. tripping. You don't need that much Dex as a Warblade, not more than as a Factotum at any rate and indeed, it's mostly Strength and Int you should be worried about.

Warblades are completely feat independent so in that sense you're fine; you can add stuff with feats (e.g. tripping or TWF or whatever) but none of that is necessary; you can freely use your feats for 5 Font of Inspiration (the bare minimum in my opinion).

Miranius
2013-05-05, 07:54 AM
Can somebody tell me where it is stated that you can exchange cloistered cleric domains for the corresponding devotion feats?

Eldariel
2013-05-05, 08:08 AM
Can somebody tell me where it is stated that you can exchange cloistered cleric domains for the corresponding devotion feats?

In Complete Champion; at Devotion Feats it explains how swapping Domains for Devotion Feats works for Clerics.

Chronos
2013-05-05, 02:51 PM
I think that, for a group composed mostly of new players, bringing in a whole bunch of sourcebooks is a mistake. Not because splatbooks are overpowered (some are, but some are better-balanced than core), but just because that means a huge amount of information to dump on newbies all at once. It's one thing to flip through the Player's Handbook to decide what feat you want to take; it's quite another to flip through every feat ever written (or even every feat in the entire set of books you have available).

SciChronic
2013-05-05, 05:00 PM
Our campaign is starting at level 9 so i'm likely starting my campaign as Factotum 8/ Cloistered Cleric 1. The issue with becoming a tripper literally comes down to being feat hungry as I would need a minimum of Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Knockdown. 4 Feats are taken by Font of inspiration (3 at level 1, 1 at level 9) alone, and i'm likely to become a frontliner so i'd need a spiked chain to be able to fight at 5ft and 10ft, unless i go guisarme with Short Haft both meaning i need to take another feat.

That said, using a polearm kind of breaks my character theme-wise

13_CBS
2013-05-05, 05:07 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14842767&postcount=53) is a Warblade/Factotum build that does very well in melee.

That said, it does require you to be a Whisper Gnome, and also requires access to the Iaijutsu Focus skill.

SciChronic
2013-05-05, 05:19 PM
I've been shying away from Iaijutsu Focus because we don't have a physical copy of OA for 3.5, and i'm not the biggest fan of IF in general, though the gnome quickrazor is an interesting weapon

SciChronic
2013-05-13, 09:34 PM
This is my current build idea, using a guisarme. I dropped the cleric level in favor of more Warblade levels.

{table]Level|Class Level|Feats|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will
1|Factotum 1|Combat Expertise[Human],Font of Inspiration[CL1],Font of Inspiration[Flaw1], Font of Inspiration[Flaw2]|0|0|2|0
2|Factotum 2|-|1|0|3|0
3|Factotum 3|Knowledge Devotion[CL3]|2|1|3|1
4|Factotum 4|-|3|1|4|1
5|Factotum 5|-|3|1|4|1
6|Factotum 6|Improved Trip[CL6]|4|2|5|2
7|Factotum 7|-|5|2|5|2
8|Factotum 8|-|6|2|6|2
9|Factotum 8, Warblade 1|Knockdown[CL9]|7|4|6|2
10|Factotum 8, Warblade 2|-|8|5|6|2
11|Factotum 8, Warblade 3|-|9|5|7|3
12|Factotum 8, Warblade 4|Font of Inspiration[CL12]|10|6|7|3
13|Factotum 8, Warblade 5|Combat Reflexes[Warblade5]|11|6|7|3
14|Factotum 8, Warblade 6|-|12|7|8|4
15|Factotum 8, Warblade 7|Power Attack[CL15]|13|7|8|4
16|Factotum 8, Warblade 8|-|14|8|8|4
17|Factotum 8, Warblade 9|Improved Initiative[Warblade9]|15|8|9|5
18|Factotum 8, Warblade 10|Font of Inspiration[CL18]|16|9|9|5
19|Factotum 8, Warblade 11|-|17|9|9|5
20|Factotum 8, Warblade 12|-|18|10|10|6[/table]

Maneuvers:
Moment of Perfect Mind
Wall of Blades
Iron Heart Surge
Emerald Razor
Ruby Nightmare Blade>Diamond Nightmare Blade[CL20]
Iron Heart Focus>Iron Heart Endurance[CL16]
Greater Insightful Strike
Finishing Move
Adamantine Hurricane

On stances i'm going to talk with my DM about retraining stances due to the awkward levels that i will gain them. i gain my second stance 1 level before access to 5th level stances and i'll gain my 3rd stance 1 level before i gain access to 8th level stances.

Stances:
Punishing Stance>Stance of Alacrity
Absolute Steel Stance>Hearing the Air
Dancing Blade Form

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-13, 10:32 PM
I would stay away from Warblade in a group of newbies, unless you're steering them towards ToB. Maneuvers often look really strong compared to a newbie caster or melee type, and you don't want to cause too much friction.

To help factotums do damage, I like taking the Craven feat, to make their sneak attack ability actually worth using. That gives a nice bump to balance. That and grabbing a wand of Wraithstrike + full Power Attack.

Xervous
2013-05-13, 11:21 PM
IIRC, factotum does not qualify for craven because it lacks the "Sneak Attack Class Feature" in the same way the shadow hand stance fails to qualify you for craven.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-13, 11:29 PM
IIRC, factotum does not qualify for craven because it lacks the "Sneak Attack Class Feature" in the same way the shadow hand stance fails to qualify you for craven.

Factotum has sneak attack as a class feature. It just only gets to use it after it spends IP on it.

Philistine
2013-05-13, 11:42 PM
A Warblade focused on using White Raven to buff allies shouldn't "feel" that unbalanced, even in a group of newbies.

SciChronic
2013-05-14, 02:10 AM
A Warblade focused on using White Raven to buff allies shouldn't "feel" that unbalanced, even in a group of newbies.

For character fluff reasons i am staying away from white raven maneuvers. My character really distrusts people. With good reason. She was betrayed badly earlier in her life, so she had to resort to thievery to survive, and she made it her lifestyle.

Gildedragon
2013-05-14, 02:21 AM
Go swordsage for the thievery synergy; kung fu genius it for extra AC if you feel you really are missing out on the (very small) Warblade INT synergy.
This's gonna get you some stupid high AC.

With a group of new players you want to keep things lower powered, which means not using so much cunning surge.

Drop the cleric level and be fact 8 sage 1

You get to be nightcrawler-esque, and grant allies an ease for flanking.

1, H, 3 are FOI
6 is Kn Dev
9 is Shadow Hand

if Flaws are allowed take weapon finesse

In my experience factotuming with new players Cunning Surge is best used very little if at all. it's a hefty self nerf, but allotting your IP to do other things is great. And when the need comes to REALLY lay down the hurt you pop it out.

SciChronic
2013-05-14, 04:24 AM
actually, i was considering a martial dilettante variant to take shadow hand maneuvers for fluff. my character has a natural inability to use arcane magic, and her attempt at doing so resulted in her eyes turning blue, along with a small explosion.

that said, island of blades + cunning strike + craven does seem pretty powerful

Xervous
2013-05-14, 11:15 AM
Factotum has sneak attack as a class feature. It just only gets to use it after it spends IP on it.

Yes, factotum has the ability to obtain sneak attack damage as a class feature, but nowhere does it have "Sneak Attack" called out as a class feature.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-14, 12:39 PM
Yes, factotum has the ability to obtain sneak attack damage as a class feature, but nowhere does it have "Sneak Attack" called out as a class feature.
OK. Ask your DM, because while the RAW doesn't support this, it's an entirely reasonable move, and probably well within RAI.

Rubik
2013-05-14, 12:53 PM
Yes, factotum has the ability to obtain sneak attack damage as a class feature, but nowhere does it have "Sneak Attack" called out as a class feature.Except the part of the class that explicitly grants you the ability to sneak attack.

Gildedragon
2013-05-14, 12:54 PM
actually, i was considering a martial dilettante variant to take shadow hand maneuvers for fluff. my character has a natural inability to use arcane magic, and her attempt at doing so resulted in her eyes turning blue, along with a small explosion.

that said, island of blades + cunning strike + craven does seem pretty powerful

Which martial factotum? There's a few around.
If you have that then don't bother with the warblade or swordsage: go dip in rogue or monk or do take that cleric dip
Or binder: makes you have more tricks up your sleeve (but probably adding too many subsystems)
Note, however, the factotum doesn't cast spells: they are spell-like

Trasilor
2013-05-14, 01:11 PM
Just because they are new to the game, doesn't mean they cannot optimize. If they take advantage of the online community (such as this one :smallamused: ), their characters may be more optimized than.

However, if they have not done their homework or they are relying only upon the PHB, limiting your self to only to tier 3 you may find yourself outshining everyone. Remember, tier 3 is amazing. Tier 1 and 2 break games (or make everyone else superfluous)

Why don't you share your knowledge with the other players to bring them up to your level of optimization? If they are your friends, find out what they want to play (archetype) and make a few suggestions - or just point them to these boards. :smallamused: This way, you don't have to be Helpy McHelpster with your character and not worry too much about outshining your party.

Remember, even if you played a straight fighter or (god forbid) a monk, you will still probably "outshine" the rest of your party. Beyond the character's tier, your knowledge of the game will shine through - like knowing when to hire hirelings, using a dog for tracking (at low levels), or carrying lots and lots (and lots) of rope. :smallamused:

SciChronic
2013-05-14, 01:58 PM
Which martial factotum? There's a few around.
If you have that then don't bother with the warblade or swordsage: go dip in rogue or monk or do take that cleric dip
Or binder: makes you have more tricks up your sleeve (but probably adding too many subsystems)
Note, however, the factotum doesn't cast spells: they are spell-like

i was considering rogue for melee, but the feat hunger for TwF on top of FoI and my Int dependence puts me off rogues...

taking swordsage in general would increase my MAD further as many of the saves for maneuvers are Wis based.

fluff-wise, the SLAs that factotum gets are through mimicking arcane spell motions.

Xervous
2013-05-14, 02:10 PM
Obtaining sneak attack from something and having the sneak attack class feature are two separate things. But I see this has been argued out to a good extent by Rubik in past threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242490)... so I'll just add my voice to the "Ask your DM" crowd.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 01:30 AM
So, i'm most likely going to be the face of the group, as i have the most experience as a player, and being a factotum kind of screams being the face.

So my build demands this:
Be the Skillmonkey
Be the Face
Be adequate in combat

Now factotum covers the availability of being the skillmonkey, but now that i also have to be the face makes skill points a bit of an issue for me. cause this brings my skill list to:
diplomacy, hide, intimidate (maybe if i can fit it), 5 Knowledges(if i take Knowledge devotion), listen, move silently, open lock, disable device, perform(singing)(desired for fluff), search, sense motive, gather information, spot, tumble (desired for acrobatic backstab), and some spare points for climb, jumps, swim, and maybe disguise, along with 2-3 skill tricks.

for character reasons it'll be a singer who moonlights as a thief (will most likely skim from loot)

i'm considering dropping warblade altogether with the martial factotum variant (Factotum counts as full initiator levels, maneuvers = same as arcane dilettante +1 for stance, max level maneuver = same as max spell level, additional stances at 9 and 18. pre-requisites do not need to be filled to use. changing stance = 1 IP, refreshing 1 maneuver = 1IP as swift action, however maneuvers cannot be used that round)

If i do this i'm going to change my stat spread into:
Str:10
Dex:16
con:14
Int: 16+2
wis:10
cha:14

we're using a 32 point buy.

what weapons should i use in this situation? and what feats? I know i want at least 3 Font of Inspiration, and possible craven if i take Assassin Stance for 2d6 + 1d6(cunning strike) + CL sneak attacks.

for race i'm deciding between strongheart halfling, human, and lesser tiefling. based on the race i may shift the stat points around

what do you guys think?

Gildedragon
2013-05-17, 02:14 AM
Shortsword and dagger
or spiked chain as you are taking shadow blade for damage.

Go human. Athasian human if possible, but the feat + skillpoints are a boon.
lesser tiefling if you want to be a bit more exotic. But human is overall a sound pick.

If you aren't taking shadow blade: then opt for feycraft kusari-gama.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 02:34 AM
how many points should i throw into knowledge? the campaign starts at 9, and i'm looking at 5 points into arcana, dungeoneering, local, nature, religion, and the planes each, but thats 30 points taking 1/4 of my skill points alone and i still need diplomacy, 12 ranks in tumble, spot, listen, search, disable device, hide, move silently, and sleight of hand+perform for flavor.

should i just put 5 into arcana for the prereq and then just put 1 point in each for now and then dump extras into them?

concerning the strongheart halfling, the penalty for small weapons is an avg of -1 dmg, and i get +1 to hit and AC, as well as + 4 to hide + racials.

for the tiefling, the lack of bonus feat hurts, but that bonus to int and dex is nice, as i can drop 2 from dex, giving me 4 points to put elsewhere and still have a 16 for dex. The +2 int will give me an additional points to work with, resulting in a net loss of 3 when compared to human

I can't use the Athasian human, sadly. We can't use any content from DM as we don't have any hard copies.

Also, with tie kusarigama, wouldn't i need both EWP and twf? along with feycrafting both ends?

current feat progression
1,H,F1 FoI
F2 TWF
3 Knowledge Devotion
6 Craven
9 Shadow Hand

Gildedragon
2013-05-17, 03:33 AM
There's no net skillpoint loss between tiefling and human
the +2 to int translates to +1 skillpoint per level x4 at level 1

Are you iaijuitsu-ing?
No: Don't rush for acrobatic backstab
Yes: There's easier ways to get this

As to kn's: depends, can you take 10?
presuming you get the SoUP (+5), are absentminded (+1), Get some masterwork mnemnonics (+2) you have a +14 to your checks, with 1 rank you will always hit +2 bonus with kn Dev.

2 ranks will always get you a +3 if you can take 10

3 ranks with cunning insight will ensure a +3

1 rank, taking 10 and with cunning insight will get you the +4

3 ranks taking 10 and with cunning insight will max it out

Even so a high knowledge skill is useful for identification of creatures in general; and as kn. dev and identification checks are separate...

If you're wondering which knowledge to take to 5: local, the syn bonus is good for a party face.

If you are really skillpoint strapped: item familiar is your solution

Gildedragon
2013-05-17, 03:43 AM
You don't need to wield two KG's, though KG doesn't work with shadow blade. Shadow blade only works with shadow hand weapons.

Dagger, shortsword are your best options
go feycrafted dagger-shortswords and TWF (as you cant feycraft spiked chains)
if your DM rules that kusari-gama work as shadow hand weapons, take 1 and eat the nonproficiency penalty or make it skillful or ask if you can add cracked iounstones from pathfinder to the game and get an opal pyramid.

Zanfire
2013-05-17, 03:57 AM
If you're already looking at Skill Tricks and are worried about having enough skill points for Knowledges for Knowledge Devotion, pick up Collector of Stories for +5 to identify creatures.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 04:06 AM
i can't take 10s on knowledge devotion

i want acrobatic backstab to set up my sneak attacks when i can't flank, which will likely be often unless i'm in Island of Blades stance which means i can't be in Assassin stance resultign in 2d6 less damage.

even though its less damage i'll probably dual wield daggers for flavor and to help restrict my damage to bring me down to the rest of the party.

collector of stories is already part of my 2-3 skill tricks

Gildedragon
2013-05-17, 04:18 AM
oh yeah, collector of stories, thats. So add four to the "take ten" ranks and voila.

You can tumble around people; and shadow-hand maneuvers already have a bunch of denying dex to ac-ness.

Dualing daggers is not a bad idea. You can throw them. It might be worth looking into master thrower for them.

Also remember a lot of things are immune to sneak attack. Putting so many eggs into the SA basket is not the most useful. I like assassin's stance but the moment you fight constructs it becomes not very useful.
Point is, don't worry about getting SA all the time. Assassin's Stance is handy but let your factotum flow past the restrictions of being all ninja all the time. See how that build works with some white raven or tiger claw in it.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 04:26 AM
do competence bonuses stack? because collector of stories and SoUP are competence bonuses. Also Collector of Stories can only be used once per encounter. its also a +5 bonus

the deny dex to AC shadow hand maneuvers have saved based off of my wisdom, which is 10, so i can't really rely on them. the next best option is Sapphire Nightmare Blade with requires a Concentration check vs their AC.

Gildedragon
2013-05-17, 04:31 AM
They do not.
I generally ask for the Soup to give a sacred bonus to kn. and for the price I think it isn't too bad.
Soup is handier for skill monkeying
SNB isn't a bad choice. 1/encounter you can jack up your concentration and it requires less finagling with your skill points.

That and remember to keep a perpetual wand of grease in one of the daggers.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 04:45 AM
thats what the marbles in my haversack are for.

tiger claw strikes suffer the same fate as diamond mind, that being he need for jump checks.

As far as maneuvers go, i'm looking to use boosts and counters from them. Stance-wise, for now i'm looking at Assassin Stance and Tactics of the Wolf/punishing stance

as for using cunning knowledge on concentration, i can only do that 1/day

Knowledge devotion is me not putting all my eggs in 1 basket and as the face and skill monkey my options for damage are limited.

Person_Man
2013-05-17, 08:36 AM
Factotum 8/Warbalde X is a solid build for any mid level game.

But if you know that you're going up to level 20, then I personally would suggest strait Warblade 20 or Factotum 20. Access to higher levels maneuvers, or spells and class abilities will be a lot more valuable then spamming mid-level Standard Action maneuvers.

cerin616
2013-05-17, 09:14 AM
Except the part of the class that explicitly grants you the ability to sneak attack.

gaining sneak attack damage is not the same as having sneak attack as a feature. Since you require "sneak attack as a class feature" you cant use a stance, you cant use an inspiration point, and you cant use sudden strike to qualify.

If it just said "prerequisite: sneak attack damage" we would be in the clear, see "Maiming Strike" in Exemplars of evil.

Granted, if your DM allows it, you are in the clear, but by wording, it doesnt work.

As for a warblade build, maxing at 20, I would say go for 3 levels of factotum only if you want to bullrush and trip. Int to all str and dex checks means int to initiative, int to bullrush, int to trip, int to grapple. It also negates a solid chunk of armor check penalties to anything from armor.

In general you don't want to go more than 6 levels of a non initiator class to maintain high level maneuvers.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-17, 01:55 PM
Factotum 8/Warbalde X is a solid build for any mid level game.

But if you know that you're going up to level 20, then I personally would suggest strait Warblade 20 or Factotum 20. Access to higher levels maneuvers, or spells and class abilities will be a lot more valuable then spamming mid-level Standard Action maneuvers.

Factotum 19/Mind Bender 1, or possibly Swordsage 1.

You don't really want the twentieth level of factotum, it's not that good. All it gives you is one more spell per day, 2 more Inspiration points, and 1 more use of Opportunistic Piety.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 02:33 PM
What should i take for flaws? I'm restricted to only the official flaws found in UA. Shaky seems like an obvious choice as i'll be in melee, but i'm unsure as to the other, and i kind of need a second flaw as i'm feat starved as it is.

Gildedragon
2013-05-17, 02:36 PM
Murky-Eyed and/or shaky
Alternatively one of the save penalties (which can then be magic/stance boosted)

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-17, 02:54 PM
What should i take for flaws? I'm restricted to only the official flaws found in UA. Shaky seems like an obvious choice as i'll be in melee, but i'm unsure as to the other, and i kind of need a second flaw as i'm feat starved as it is.

Frail and Vulnerable are my two picks. Granted I also tend to go Grey Elf with FMI for Int to HP which makes Frail not a problem at all.

Remember that Shaky hits your ranged spells as well.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 03:08 PM
If i have a Rust Monster Wand (CS) do i even need open lock?

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-17, 03:09 PM
If i have a Rust Monster Wand (CS) do i even need open lock?

Yes, if you don't want the destroyed lock obvious to everyone who glances at it.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 03:33 PM
It doesn't look like i'll be able to use SoUP, as my character will be either NE or CN, and the DC30 UMD check is a bit out of my reach, as i'm already strapped for skill points.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 04:06 PM
current build:

CN Lesser Tiefling
{table]Level|Class|Feats
1|Factotum 1|FoI[CL1],FoI[Flaw1],TWF[Flaw2]
2|Factotum 2|-
3|Factotum 3|FoI[CL3]
4|Factotum 4|-
5|Factotum 5|-
6|Factotum 6|Knowledge Devotion[CL6]
7|Factotum 7|-
8|Factotum 8|-
9|Factotum 9|Shadow Hand[CL9]
10|Factotum 10|-
11|Factotum 11|-
12|Factotum 12|ITWF[CL12]
13|Factotum 13|-
14|Factotum 14|-
15|Factotum 15|GTWF[CL15](items needed)
16|Factotum 16|-
17|Factotum 17|-
18|Factotum 18|FoI[CL18]
19|Factotum 19|-
20|Factotum 20|-[/table]

weapon @lvl9: 2x +1 feycraft Dagger (1d3, 19-20/x2)
armor @lvl9: +1 darkleaf breastplate (5AC, 3 Dex(max 4), -1ACP)
haversack(with items)
traveler's cloak
gloves of dex +2
healing belt

remaining gold: 11651

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-17, 04:06 PM
Oh yeah, remember to buy a Longbow. Spend an IP for True Strike, another IP for Snipers Shot, another IP for Int to Damage, another IP for Int to Attack, and then dump the rest of your IP into Cunning Strike.

You can sneak attack from (potentially) a thousand feat out and ignore concealment. You might want to be flying for Line of Sight and Line of Effect. It's only 1/day but it makes you a great assassin.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah, remember to buy a Longbow. Spend an IP for True Strike, another IP for Snipers Shot, another IP for Int to Damage, another IP for Int to Attack, and then dump the rest of your IP into Cunning Strike.

You can sneak attack from (potentially) a thousand feat out and ignore concealment. You might want to be flying for Line of Sight and Line of Effect. It's only 1/day but it makes you a great assassin.

I'm dropping Arcane dilettante for a martial dilettante variant giving me maneuvers and stances.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-17, 04:25 PM
I'm dropping Arcane dilettante for a martial dilettante variant giving me maneuvers and stances.

Oh yeah. Never mind then.

SciChronic
2013-05-17, 10:01 PM
Build as of now; i did some working around with the items:
CN Lesser Tiefling Factotum that worships Mask for flavor. She is the daughter of a succubus and Wizard from Thay.

Feat progression, Flaws, Traits:

{table]Level|Class|Feats|BAB|fort|ref|will|Class Features|IP|Maneuver Level
1|Factotum 1|FoI[CL1], FoI[Flaw1], TWF[Flaw2]|0|0|2|0|Inspiration, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge, Trapfinding|2(5)|-
2|Factotum 2|-|1|0|3|0|Martial Dilettante(1 Maneuver, 1 Stance)|3(6)|1
3|Factotum 3|Knowledge Devotion[CL3]|2|1|3|1|Brains Over Brawn, Cunning Defense|3(6)|1
4|Factotum 4|-|3|1|4|1|Martial Dilettante(2 Maneuvers, 1 Stance), Cunning Strike|3(6)|2
5|Factotum 5|-|3|1|4|1|Opportunistic Piety|4(7)|2
6|Factotum 6|FoI[CL6]|4|2|5|2|-|4(10)|2
7|Factotum 7|-|5|2|5|2|Martial Dilettante(3 Maneuvers, 1 Stance)|4(10)|3
8|Factotum 8|-|6/1|2|6|2|Cunning Surge|5(11)|3
9|Factotum 9(starting here)|Shadow Hand[CL9]|6/1|3|6|3|Martial Dilettante(4 Maneuvers, 2 Stances)|5(11)|4
10|Factotum 10|-|7/2|3|7|3|Opportunistic Piety(+1 use)|5(11)|4
11|Factotum 11|-|8/3|3|7|3|Cunning Breach|6(12)|4
12|Factotum 12|Craven[CL12]|9/4|4|8|4|Martial Dilettante(5 Maneuvers, 2 Stances)|6(12)|5
13|Factotum 13|-|9/4|4|8|4|Cunning Dodge|6(12)|5
14|Factotum 14|-|10/5|4|9|4|Martial Dilettante(6 Maneuvers, 2 Stances)|7(13)|6
15|Factotum 15|ITWF[CL15]|11/6/1|5|9|5|Opportunistic Piety(+1 use), Martial Dilettante(6 Maneuvers, 3 Stances)|7(13)|6
16|Factotum 16|-|12/7/2|5|10|5|Improved Cunning Defense|7(13)|6
17|Factotum 17|-|12/7/2|5|10|5|Martial Dilettante(7 Maneuvers 3 Stances)| 8(14)|7
18|Factotum 18|GTWF[CL18]|13/8/3|6|11|6|-|8(14)|7
19|Factotum 19|-|14/9/4|6|11|6|Cunning Brilliance|8(14)|8
20|Factotum 20|-|15/10/5|6|12|6|Martial Dilettante(8 Maneuvers, 3 Stances, Opportunistic Piety (+1 use)|10(16)|8[/table]
Flaws: Murky-Eyed, Shaken
Traits: Absent-Minded, Suspicious
Stats:

Str = 14(+2)
Dex = 14+2(racial)+2(gloves)(+4)
Con = 14(+2)
Int = 14+2(racial)+2(hat)+2(levels)(+5)
Wis = 10(+0)
Cha = 14-2(racial)(+1)
Gear, Gold, & Items

Main-hand: +1 Feycraft Dagger w/ least crystal of return
Off-hand: +1 Feycraft Dagger w/ least crystal of return
Tertiary: Light Crossbow (50 bolts)
Head: Hat of the Spy (Hat of Disguise w/ +2 Int)
Torso: Explorer's Outfit
Shoulders: Traveler's Cloak
Armor: +1 Glamered Elven Darkleaf Breastplate
Arms: -
Hands: Gloves of Dex +2
Ring1: -
Ring2: -
Waist: Healing Belt(spare in haversack)
Feet: Silent Shoes

Inventory:
Heward's Handy Haversack
Aboleth Mucus