PDA

View Full Version : Summoning good creatures to slay good creatures?

Jon_Dahl
2013-05-05, 10:04 AM
Let's imagine that we have a true neutral summoner who wants to eliminate a good creature, such as angel. He summons a bralari and attacks the angel with his spells while the bralani is supposed to act as a meat shield.

Braralis are intelligent and good outsiders, who definitely recognize the angel for what it is. Will the summon compel it to attack the angel? How would you handle this if you were the DM?

Rhynn
2013-05-05, 10:10 AM
What spell are you using?

SRD, under Conjuration: "Creatures you conjure usually, but not always, obey your commands."

A bralani summoned with summon monster VI will indeed attack a good, even celestial, opponent of yours.

Summon monster I:
"It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions."

Krobar
2013-05-05, 10:15 AM
If I was DM, yes you could do that. However, there would be long-term ramifications for doing so. Good gods will let their churches know that you do such things, and you could bet on at least SOME of them coming after you.

Urpriest
2013-05-05, 10:16 AM
Basically, it's the difference between summoning and calling. Summons don't have true free will, they also don't have any effect on existing creatures out in the planes.

Golden Ladybug
2013-05-05, 11:35 AM
I'd let it go ahead; its a Summoning Spell, not a Calling spell. I believe this is backed up in the books somewhere (I believe it might've been one of the ol' Planescape books...), but in my games Summons aren't real. Casting a Summon Monster spell is the magical equivalent of Copying a template for that particular creature which shows up for a while, then dissipates.

That said, the Caster's alignment would probably slide a smidge closer to the Lower Planes (although, if they're killing Angels for a living, they're probably already on the way down). There wouldn't be any overt repercussions or divine intervention, beyond what would result anyway from killing Angels.