PDA

View Full Version : [4E D&D] Nephilim Race (PEACH)

Surrealistik
2013-05-05, 12:58 PM
Nephilim
Nephilim are the often haughty descendents of the gods and primordials, vaunted as a bridge between two eternally warring factions, or loathed and despised as an ineffable abomination.
- - - - - - - - - -
Average Height: 5' 10"-6' 5"
Average Weight: 150-250 lb.
- - - - - - - - - -
Ability Scores: +2 Any
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light vision
- - - - - - - - - -
Languages: Common, Supernal and Primordial (you cannot understand and speak all languages due to knowing Supernal)
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana or +2 Religion, +2 Any
Immortal: You are an immortal, a direct progeny of the gods and angels. You thus have the immortal origin for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin. As such, you are subject to effects and conditions that affect immortals.
Elemental: You are an elemental, a direct progeny of the primordials and archons. You thus have the elemental origin for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin. As such, you are subject to effects and conditions that affect elementals.
Nephilim Resistance: Choose a damage type. You gain its keyword, resistance to that damage type equal to 5 + half your character level and a +5 bonus to saving throws against it.
Pride of the Nephilim: While you are unbloodied, you have a +1 bonus to all defenses, skill and ability checks, and saving throws.
Nephilim Resilience: You gain the Nephilim Resilience racial power.
Scorn of the Nephilim: You gain the Scorn of the Nephilim racial power. When you use Scorn of the Nephilim or Nephilim Resilience power you cannot use the other power until the end of your next short rest.

Nephilim Resilience - Nephilim Racial Power
A scion of gods and primordials knows no weakness.
Encounter * Divine, Elemental
No Action - Personal
Trigger: You are subject to an effect with a conditional duration
Effect: You make a saving throw to end the triggering effect, even if that effect doesn't normally end on a save.
Special: When you expend this power by any means, you expend your Scorn of the Nephilim power.

Scorn of the Nephilim - Nephilim Racial Power
Summary punishment befalls those who dare strike a descendent of the immortals, whilst your scorn shields you from attack.
Encounter * Divine, Elemental, Varies
Free Action - Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack or take damage that has one or more damage types
Target: The triggering attacker (if any)
Effect: The target takes damage of the types and the amount of your Nephilim Resistance plus your primary ability modifier. This damage ignores resistance and immunity. If you took typed damage, including from the triggering attack, your Nephilim Resistance damage type then changes to a triggering damage type of your choice until the end of the encounter.
Special: When you expend this power by any means, you expend your Nephilim Resilience power.

Racial Feats (Nephilim race is a prerequisite in all cases):

Heroic:
Anathema Scorn
Prerequisite: Scorn of the Nephilim racial feature
Benefit: Your Scorn of the Nephilim power deals damage of all the types its targets are vulnerable to in addition to its normal damage types, as well as damage types that have a special negative effect on the target defined in its stat block. If a target is vulnerable to no damage types, Scorn of the Nephilim deals extra damage to your Primary Ability modifier or half your level, whichever is greater.

Blood of the Chosen
Prerequisite: Nephilim Resistance racial feature
Benefit: You gain a +1 racial bonus to attack and damage rolls with attacks that have a keyword of your current Nephilim Resistance damage types, and its damage type chosen at character creation. The bonus to damage rolls increases to +2 at level 11 and +3 at level 21.

Nephilim Soul
Prerequisite: Revenant
Benefit: You gain the Nephilim Resilience and Scorn of the Nephilim racial powers. Whenever you use one of these powers you expend Dark Reaping. Whenever you use Dark Reaping, you expend these powers.

Humbling Punishment
Prerequisite: Nephilim Resistance and Scorn of the Nephilim racial features
Benefit: Your Scorn of the Nephilim power deals +5 extra damage and knocks its targets prone. This extra damage increases to 10 at level 11 and 15 at level 21.

Adaptive Resistance
Benefit: Choose a damage type. Once during your turn as a free action, you can switch a resistance gained via Nephilim Resistance to its original damage type, a damage type chosen with this feat or gained since the end of your last short rest with Scorn of the Nephilim.
Special: You can choose this feat any number of times. Each time you do, choose a different damage type.

Will of the Nephilim
Prerequisite: Nephilim Resilience racial feature
Benefit: If you fail the saving throw granted by your Nephilim Resilience racial power, you can reroll that save and take the highest result, ignoring any penalties to the saving throw.

Above Failure
Prerequisite: Pride of the Nephilim, Nephilim Resilience and Scorn of the Nephilim racial features
Benefit: You gain the Above Failure racial power:

Above Failure - Nephilim Racial Power
Failure is inconceivable for one of the Chosen.
Free Action - Personal
Requirement: Your Pride of the Nephilim benefits must be active and you must expend your Scorn of the Nephilim or Nephilim Resilience power.
Trigger: You miss, or you fail a check or saving throw.
Effect: Reroll the triggering attack roll, check or saving throw and take the result of your choice. If this second roll also misses or fails, you take psychic damage equal to your healing surge value that can't be reduced.

Sight of the Nephilim
Benefit: You gain Darkvision. You can sense the presence magic as a free action and as though you were trained in Arcana. You use your primary ability modifier in place of Intelligence modifier for skill checks to do so. If you are already trained in Arcana, you gain a +5 bonus to such checks.

Wisdom of the Nephilim
Benefit: You count as having training in Religion and Arcana for the purposes of monster knowledge checks against creatures with the immortal or elemental origin respectively, training in History for skill checks concerning Elementals, Immortals and events and objects directly relating to them, and you use your primary ability modifier in place of your Intelligence modifier for these checks. If you already have training in the corresponding skill used for any of these checks you gain a +5 bonus to it.

Resolve of the Nephilim
Prerequisite: Nephilim Resilience and Scorn of the Nephilim racial features
Benefit: You gain the Resolve of the Nephilim racial power:

Resolve of the Nephilim - Nephilim Racial Power
To fall is an indignation beneath you.
Free Action - Personal
Trigger: You are reduced to 0 hit points or fewer.
Effect: You lose a healing surge. If you do, you don't start dying from being at 0 hit points or fewer until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Free: You lose a healing surge. If you do, the effect persists until the end of your next turn.

Indomitable Pride
Prerequisite: Pride of the Nephilim racial feature
Benefit: You don't lose the bonuses provided by Pride of the Nephilim while bloodied. You lose the benefits of this feat when you are dropped to 0 hit points or fewer until the end of your next short rest.

Nephilim Affinity
Benefit: You ignore all resistances and immunities that share a type with your Nephilim Resistance.
Special: At level 11+, you may take this feat again. If you do, resistances ignored in this way count as vulnerabilities of the same type and amount for your attacks. Immunities ignored in this way count as vulnerable 10 + your level for your attacks.

Armour of Contempt
Benefit: Whenever you would change your Nephilim Resistance damage type with Scorn of the Nephilim, your Nephilim Resistance instead applies to the damage types it would be changed to in addition to its existing types until the end of the encounter.

Erupting Scorn
Benefit: When you target a creature with Scorn of the Nephilim, enemies within a close burst 1 of you are targeted as well.
Special: You may take this feat once per tier. Each time you do so beyond the first, this feat's burst size doubles.

Marking Scorn
Benefit: Your Scorn of the Nephilim targets are marked by you until the end of the encounter or they make an attack with you as the only target.

Bastion of the Immortals
Benefit: Your Nephilim Resistance is equal to 10 + your level instead of 5 + half your level.

Enduring Resilience
Benefit: If you fail the saving throw granted by your Nephilim Resilience you don't expend Nephilim Resilience or your Scorn of the Nephilim.

Surge of Scorn
Benefit: If you succeed on the saving throw granted by your Nephilim Resilience power or deal damage to a Scorn of the Nephilim target, the bonus provided by Pride of the Nephilim applies to your attack and damage rolls and increases by +2 until the end of your next turn. It remains active for this duration even while you're bloodied.

Impenetrable Resistance
Benefit: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your defenses against attacks that feature your Nephilim Resistance keyword. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11, and +3 at level 21. If you are subject to an effect with your Nephilim Resistance keyword, you can make a saving throw to end that effect at the start of your turn, even if it doesn't normally end on a save.

Paragon:
Lingering Punishment
Benefit: Your Scorn of the Nephilim targets take ongoing damage (save ends) equal to half the damage it deals. This ongoing damage is of the types of damage it dealt, and ignores resistance and immunity.

Vengeance of the Nephilim
Benefit: When you make a successful saving throw granted by your Nephilim Resilience racial power against an effect inflicted by an enemy, you can subject it to that effect.

Withering Denunciation
Prerequisite: Scorn of the Nephilim racial features
Benefit: Your Scorn of the Nephilim targets are subject to the following effects (save ends all):

Their damage type resistances become vulnerabilities of the same amounts and types. Damage type immunities become vulnerable 10 + your level of the same type. If they have no damage type resistances or immunities they gain vulnerable all instead equal to your primary ability modifier.
They lose all other immunities.
They grant combat advantage.
They can't benefit from bonuses other than enhancement and item bonuses.

Of Solace and Scorn
Benefit: Using your Nephilim Resilience or Scorn of the Nephilim power no longer expends the other power, and you do not have to complete a short rest to use it.

Scion's Indignation
Benefit: You regain the use of your Nephilim Resilience and Scorn of the Nephilim racial features when your hit points first drop to less than your bloodied value during an encounter.

Inner Divinity
Benefit: Choose a Channel Divinity power you don't have. You gain that Channel Divinity power. You can use yourself as an implement for Channel Divinity powers. If you do, your implement properties for that power are equal to the properties of a magical weapon or implement of your choice you have equipped or a Magic Holy Symbol of your level or less you count as being proficient with. If you have training in one or more superior implements, you can apply the qualities of one of those superior implements to that power. You may have all damage dealt by that power be of any of the types of your Nephilim Resistance.
Special: You can take this feat any number of times. Each time you do, you gain another Channel Divinity power.

Shun the Unworthy
Benefit: The bonus to defenses and saving throws granted by Pride of the Nephilim increases by +2 versus bloodied creatures and their effects.

Wings of the Nephilim
Prerequisite: Immortal and elemental origin
Benefit: You gain a fly speed equal to the greater of 6 or your base movement speed with altitude limit 1.

Epic:
Echoing Punishment
Benefit: Your Scorn of the Nephilim power gains the following effect:
Whenever the target would trigger Scorn of the Nephilim, it takes damage equal to the types and amount your Scorn of the Nephilim would deal to it (save ends). This damage ignores resistance and immunity.

God Sight
Benefit: You gain truesight 5.
Special: You can take this feat any number of times. Each time you do, double the range of your truesight gained with this feat.

Immortal Ascendent
Prerequisite: Wings of the Nephilim feat
Benefit: Your fly speed gained from your Wings of the Nephilim feat gains the hover subtype, and no longer has an altitude limit.

Inviolable Contempt
Benefit: When you use Scorn of the Nephilim to change your Nephilim Resistance damage type, you have immunity to your Nephilim Resistance damage types (save sustains). You can't apply any bonuses to saving throws to sustain this effect other than those from your Pride of the Nephilim feature.

Stride of the Immortals
Benefit: You gain a teleport move speed equal to half your base move speed.
Special: You can take this feat any number of times. Each time you do, double the speed of your teleport movement gained with this feat.

Condemn the Unworthy
Benefit: While you are unbloodied, you have combat advantage against bloodied creatures and Pride of the Nephilim grants a +2 bonus to attack rolls against them.

Transcendent Resolve
Benefit: The bonus to saving throws granted by Pride of the Nephilim increases by +4.

Beneath Contempt
Benefit: You gain the Beneath Contempt racial power:

Beneath Contempt - Nephilim Racial Power
Your contempt for your inferior foes is without limit, disdainful outrage turning away even their mightiest attacks without hesitation, though at the ultimate cost of sapping your resolve.
No Action - Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack or take damage that has one or more damage types
Effect: The benefits of your Nephilim Resistance apply to all damage types (including untyped damage) and keywords until the end of your next turn.
Aftereffect: You lose your Nephilim Resistance and can't use your racial powers (save ends both). You can only make saving throws against this effect at the end of your turn, and cannot make saving throws against this effect in the same turn you were subject to it.

Description: The Nephilim are proud, and often haughty descendents of the gods, primordals and their angel and archon servants. Those of a more extreme persuasion consider themselves to be the 'Chosen', a messianic master race whose ultimate destiny is to seize control of multiverse, thereby ushering in a new golden era under the auspices of their benevolent reign.

Their appearances are highly variable but virtually always humanoid in nature. They tend to be aligned with some divine domain or elemental quality, their appearance and demeanour often closely echoing their association with that aspect.

Though most races and peoples are indifferent to the Nephilim but for their insufferable, racially typecast pride, some, particularly those familiar with the Dawn War, actively laud them as the master race some of their number claim, or at least a bridge between the warring gods and primordials. Others however, see them as a blight and horrible abomination to be expunged, a harrowing transgression against the natural order that should not be.

Surrealistik
2013-05-05, 02:58 PM
Reserved for Paragon path.

Surrealistik
2013-05-05, 02:59 PM
Reserved for Epic Destiny.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-05, 03:26 PM
...Huh. Were you working on this before or after I posted mine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274247)? :smalleek:

Surrealistik
2013-05-05, 04:16 PM
Lol whoa.

That is uncanny.

The Nephilim name was inspired by Gnorman's race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231027) from his awesome 3.5 E6 homebrew supplement, but the sharp alignment of the fluff with yours is pretty trippy. The idea/concept for the fluff element came from a campaign premise I was kicking around about hybrid spawn of the Gods/Primordials viewing themselves as a chosen master race, destined to rule the multiverse.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-05, 09:04 PM
Hehehe... I was going for something a tad closer to their ultimate origin with my version, physically Awesome (when mentioned in the Bible and apocrypha, they're described as "mighty"), but ultimately they're godless cosmic butt monkeys despite it. :smallamused:

Anyway, should probably be constructive now! Raceblock seems fine (are they meant to have both powers?). Bastion of the Immortals you might want to bump up to a Paragon feat (compare with a similar tiefling feat that I can't remember the name of off-hand), and to be blunt, I feel really weird about Inner Divinity. Maybe because I rarely see good things said about attempts at rebalancing NINWA stuff like that, but I'm tempted more to avoid it than to argue the point, and you've got plenty more feats to pick from here anyway.

All in all, I still prefer my version (just because it's mine, yeah), but you've given yours a lot more support from the get-go. :smallbiggrin:

Surrealistik
2013-05-05, 09:38 PM
Haha, ah. Yeah, I'd definitely noticed the point of divergence in that your flavour explicitly outs them as being a straight up damned abomination, rather than that being a matter of vantage.

Concerning the NINWA aspect, it's not so much that as that the Nephilim can apply the properties of any equipped weapon or implement to the attack, _or_ what is effectively an innate level 5 increment Vicious implement whenever a Channel Divinity gained via that feat would actually use an implement for attack rolls and such.

As for Bastion of the Immortals, I just can't see it as a Paragon tier feat given the typical power of options at that level, the underpowered, obvious trap feats excepted of course. Granted Bastion starts to get pretty strong when you synergize it with other racial feats.

At any rate, I do appreciate the PEACH, and I certainly do like your own take on the Nephilim race, especially in the sense that it's a sort of 'in a mirror darkly' counterpart to mine.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-05, 10:49 PM
...It was Bael Turath Born. Which also requires warlock. Bah.

Kinda hate it that 4e forces me to choose between feats that suit concept and feats that work, really. But enough of my griping, I have nothing else constructive to argue about.

So now I'm off to argue about something more decon about Next on WotC's forums. GOOD LUCK. :smallcool:

Surrealistik
2013-05-07, 06:13 PM
...It was Bael Turath Born. Which also requires warlock. Bah.

Kinda hate it that 4e forces me to choose between feats that suit concept and feats that work, really. But enough of my griping, I have nothing else constructive to argue about.

So now I'm off to argue about something more decon about Next on WotC's forums. GOOD LUCK. :smallcool:

I find there's often a lot of overlap in practice actually, but granted, there are likewise a lot of trap options that may have an appealing fluff component.

vasharanpaladin
2013-05-07, 06:16 PM
I find there's often a lot of overlap in practice actually, but granted, there are likewise a lot of trap options that may have an appealing fluff component.

More than just feats. Take my favorite concept, for example. The "optimal" choice is near universally "don't use fire." Which is completely fething stupid, because conceptually, the answer to a fire-immune or -resistant creature should be "use MORE fire." @_@

Surrealistik
2013-05-09, 03:45 PM
More than just feats. Take my favorite concept, for example. The "optimal" choice is near universally "don't use fire." Which is completely fething stupid, because conceptually, the answer to a fire-immune or -resistant creature should be "use MORE fire." @_@

Well, either don't use fire, or hybridize fire with something else via elemental admixture, etc. :p

Tieflings and wizards both have the cure to what ails you though.