PDA

View Full Version : Golden Sun Trilogy

Togath
2013-05-05, 07:15 PM
I started up the third Golden Sun game about a week ago, and so far it's ended up one of my favorite RPGs.. would it be worth playing through the first two games afterward?(largely for lore, and because if the game play is anything like Dark Dawn, it's very fun)

AlterForm
2013-05-05, 08:03 PM
If you enjoyed Dark Dawn, I would definitely recommend the first two in the series. Not just for the lore (which is quite good), but also for some of the finest visuals in the GBA generation of portable games (I prefer the GBA graphics over the DS ones). They also have a much tighter focus and better pacing for the plot; my biggest complaint after playing DD was the lack of overarching goal, i.e. (SPOILERS)the psynergy vortices from the beginning are dropped as a plot point until after the end credits as a sequel teaser(/SPOILERS). I found the first half of TLA to be displeasing for roughly the same reason.

Be sure to look up the password system for the games if you haven't already, and if you go for gold without a link cable ... godspeed. :smalleek:

Zevox
2013-05-05, 08:29 PM
Definitely. The original duology is frankly superior to Dark Dawn in most respects. Not that Dark Dawn is a bad game, but it's pretty unfocused, and doesn't even tell a complete story, and it does not look like we're getting a sequel. Plus Karis is just about the only one of the group with much personality.

On the flip side, the original Golden Sun titles are pretty easily among the best games on the GBA. While their character development isn't their strongest suit, there is more than in Dark Dawn, and they spin a very good fantasy epic for their plot. Plus of course, great gameplay.

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-06, 03:36 AM
definately do it, i'm doing a re-play of the three myself right now actually, about halfway done with the lost age now.

one thing i always found funny is how the protagonist of the seccond game is entirely unable to speak while in the first game, but can in the seccond. and the protagonist of the seccond game simultaniously looses his ability to speak as he becomes the playable charactor.

my theory; (spoilers)

Issac was born a mute. But upon being exposed to the raw venus power of the lit venus lighthouse, he was miraculously cured. While Felix, who was able to speak from birth, was so truamatized from jumping off of the lighthouse and into the sea, lost his voice as a result. :smalltongue:

after this play through, i think i'd like to re-do it again, this time in a "hardcore" mode, in wich i avoid collecting Dijin, keep any that i do find either for plot reasons or whatever set so that they do not affect the character's stats, and avoid any magical items or armor that i can find, using only the "normal" and non stat-affecting itesm from weapon and armor shops. Items such as apples and hard nuts would be the only things that strengthen my characters.

i challenge everyone to give it a shot if they have time:smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2013-05-06, 09:20 AM
after this play through, i think i'd like to re-do it again, this time in a "hardcore" mode, in wich i avoid collecting Dijin, keep any that i do find either for plot reasons or whatever set so that they do not affect the character's stats, and avoid any magical items or armor that i can find, using only the "normal" and non stat-affecting itesm from weapon and armor shops. Items such as apples and hard nuts would be the only things that strengthen my characters.

i challenge everyone to give it a shot if they have time:smallbiggrin:
That sounds like suicide. Djinni alone are so essential to raising your stats that the most devastating thing late-game bosses can do to you in Lost Age is use the Djinni Storm ability that puts them all in standby, leaving you extremely vulnerable. Not using the better half of the games' weapons and armor on top of that, plus being stuck with only the weaker healing items... yeah, I can't see that leading anywhere but teeth-grinding frustration.

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-06, 03:11 PM
using them though, even just to change stats affects too much too quickly i think, and it allows you to do a bunch of stat boosting if you shuffle them around right, for example i always give/gave Garret the highest attack possible that i could manage, he doesnt even use psyenergy when i play him like this.

Eurus
2013-05-06, 04:06 PM
Eh. I suspect that it'd end up requiring a lot of level grinding, but go for it if you like. I think you can't even get Wish without djinn, can you? And man, I had enough trouble with the harder bosses even with such amusing excesses as the Sol Blade and all of the djinn.

Togath
2013-05-07, 07:30 PM
I'll probably give the first tow a try then :)
One thing I was wondering; Are summons automatically gained like in Dark Dawn? Or do you have to earn them in boss battles, final fantasy style?

AlterForm
2013-05-07, 07:48 PM
The single-element summons are automatically available as soon as you have enough djinn on standby. TLA introduces mutli-element summons which you have to find special summon tablets for in the game world before you can use them.

Eurus
2013-05-07, 07:49 PM
One thing I was wondering; Are summons automatically gained like in Dark Dawn? Or do you have to earn them in boss battles, final fantasy style?

Most of them are automatic. Some -- the dual-element summons -- are unlocked by finding tablets. I think those ones are only in the second game? It's been a while since I've played.

Zevox
2013-05-07, 07:49 PM
I think all of them in the first game are automatic upon gaining enough Djinn to summon them (note: the first game only has four summons per element, and no multi-element summons).

In the second though all the multi-element summons need to be found. There are magic tablets hidden throughout the game which contain them. Most are just hidden in out-of-the-way places, but the strongest are at the end of optional dungeons and guarded by powerful bonus bosses. The very last of those is frankly one of the most difficult boss fights I've seen in any RPG, much harder than the the regular final boss of the game - which kind of makes the summon he guards a bit of a let-down, since you don't really have anything worth unleashing it on left by the time you're able to get it.

Grytorm
2013-05-07, 07:59 PM
Summons work pretty much the same way. The very first game doesn't have any of the multielemental summons so you just have to rely on the single element ones. The Lost Age introduces the tablets with new summons.

Edit:
At least I got to ninja somebody.

Double Edit:
Learn to read the post after mine.

Eurus
2013-05-07, 08:37 PM
I think all of them in the first game are automatic upon gaining enough Djinn to summon them (note: the first game only has four summons per element, and no multi-element summons).

In the second though all the multi-element summons need to be found. There are magic tablets hidden throughout the game which contain them. Most are just hidden in out-of-the-way places, but the strongest are at the end of optional dungeons and guarded by powerful bonus bosses. The very last of those is frankly one of the most difficult boss fights I've seen in any RPG, much harder than the the regular final boss of the game - which kind of makes the summon he guards a bit of a let-down, since you don't really have anything worth unleashing it on left by the time you're able to get it.

Oh gosh. Dullahan, right? He was tooth-grindingly difficult, yeah. I also had tremendous issues with Star Magician, though.

Zevox
2013-05-07, 08:45 PM
Oh gosh. Dullahan, right? He was tooth-grindingly difficult, yeah. I also had tremendous issues with Star Magician, though.
Yep, Dullahan. The guy that you can pretty much only beat because the AI isn't smart enough to spend every round doing Djinn Storm + 2x Charon. I've only beaten him without resorting to summon spam and prayer maybe twice.

Star Magician could be a problem for sure, but once you figured out which of his little orb allies needed to be killed and which could be left alone, he wasn't too bad I think. Definitely one of the most difficult bonus bosses besides Dullahan though.

Eurus
2013-05-07, 08:50 PM
Yep, Dullahan. The guy that you can pretty much only beat because the AI isn't smart enough to spend every round doing Djinn Storm + 2x Charon. I've only beaten him without resorting to summon spam and prayer maybe twice.

Star Magician could be a problem for sure, but once you figured out which of his little orb allies needed to be killed and which could be left alone, he wasn't too bad I think. Definitely one of the most difficult bonus bosses besides Dullahan though.

Yeah, beating Dullahan is partly just luck. You can boost your chances by zerging him with summons, and there's apparently a near-foolproof way to pull it off by equipping everyone with speed maximizing items and spamming Lull? But apart from that, you've pretty much got to get lucky. Djinn Storm is just that crazy.

Star Magician, I think, was a much more clever and well-made fight. Definitely a puzzle boss, but without being too obvious or cheap about it.

Cobalt
2013-05-09, 09:56 PM
I actually just picked Golden Sun up again on a road trip the other week, so I'm in just the mood to add my resounding recommendation to the pile. One of my all-time favorite games, definitely. Comparing to Dark Dawn- which is a good game- the thing that stood to separate for me the most was that combat was simply so much more fun in the first two than in DD. It had that classic, wa-BAM, you know? You know.

I've put several hundreds of hours of playing and replaying into the first Golden Sun alone, and don't even get me started on TLA's New Game Plus. Oh man. After getting back into it, it's all coming back to me.

In TLA: Star Magician was my favorite of the bonus bosses, and the one I had the most fun with. Excluding Dullahan, Sentinel was my nightmare. Not sure why, but I can't seem to remember much about actually fighting Sentinel, just walking into his chamber and really disliking the whole situation for a while. Rinse repeat.

But yes, you'll have a blast if you play the first two games.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080507031138/goldensun/images/7/76/PsyBlastFiery.png
I couldn't resist.

Togath
2013-05-10, 12:50 PM
I'll give the first two a go once i finish 3, since they both look interesting.. which do you think would be better to start with?

AlterForm
2013-05-10, 01:30 PM
I'll give the first two a go once i finish 3, since they both look interesting.. which do you think would be better to start with?

They're very sequential in plot, so definitely start with Golden Sun 1 first and then move to The Lost Age.

Maryring
2013-05-10, 01:40 PM
To put it like this. The second game start about an hour before the first game ends, so yeah. Do them in order.

Togath
2013-05-10, 02:50 PM
Ah, definitely going to go with part 1 to start then.
It does sound like a fun plotline though, if they're that closely linked together timeline-wise.:smallsmile:

Zevox
2013-05-10, 09:30 PM
Ah, definitely going to go with part 1 to start then.
It does sound like a fun plotline though, if they're that closely linked together timeline-wise.:smallsmile:
They're more or less one story broken up into two parts, actually. They're even more closely linked in that respect than the Mass Effect games. And you import data from the first going into the second, which is the only way to collect all of the Djinn in the second (since if you don't you'll only get some of the Djinn from the first when you get those back).

So yeah, original first, Lost Age second. It would be very silly to do it the other way around.

Maryring
2013-05-11, 12:36 AM
You also need to link to the second game using the gold password, or a link cable, in order to get all the djinn, because one djinn is only accessible if you have the force orb, which is technically skipable in the first game and thus not included in the inventory of the second game automatically.

Togath
2013-05-12, 01:35 AM
Just finished game 3.. Hadn't even realized it was the final boss until the credits rolled by(had expected to fight Arcanus at some point, given his big reveal scene before the fight).
The end scene did make me wonder if they're planning to do a third game, connected in a manner like the first was to the second(since the last scene in 3 is a cliffhanger, just as the group was finally returning home to deliver the Roc feather)

Maryring
2013-05-12, 01:39 AM
That's what we're hoping for. Still, it took ages from the second game to the third game to arrive so... might have to buckle up and just be patient.

Zevox
2013-05-12, 01:45 AM
Just finished game 3.. Hadn't even realized it was the final boss until the credits rolled by(had expected to fight Arcanus at some point, given his big reveal scene before the fight).
The end scene did make me wonder if they're planning to do a third game, connected in a manner like the first was to the second(since the last scene in 3 is a cliffhanger, just as the group was finally returning home to deliver the Roc feather)
Yeah, the way Dark Dawn ends is rather odd. And makes it very obvious that they intend to do another - or at least did, as we haven't heard anything about such a thing since Dark Dawn came out.

It'll look even stranger once you've played through the first two games, and thus really know who "Arcanus" is (and really, everyone who played the original duology knew exactly who he was from the moment you first see him in Dark Dawn, so I'm not even sure why they tried to hide it).

Anarion
2013-05-12, 07:40 AM
It'll look even stranger once you've played through the first two games, and thus really know who "Arcanus" is (and really, everyone who played the original duology knew exactly who he was from the moment you first see him in Dark Dawn, so I'm not even sure why they tried to hide it).

I think they "hid" it so we'd think about the perspective of the characters in Dark Dawn, since they don't get what's going on, even though all of us do.

As for the OP's question, I'm just going to add my voice to the list of great recommendations. Golden Sun 1 and 2 were wonderful games and I love them a lot. I think there's a really interesting world there and if you really pay attention to all the little details, you get all these hints of where adepts fit into the social order and how things used to be.

Also, Dullahan is totally beatable in a consistent way without cheesing. Yes, he can djinn storm and then charon and get lucky, but his AI is designed around not using djinn storm too frequently. He's based around having two parties, not just one. You generally want to have several people with revive and one of the mass heal spells, which can be achieved by mixing and matching djinn in a good way (which I can't remember at the moment). That way if Dullahan goes nuts, you can switch in good healers one at a time, two at most. Once you have a party of people cycling in and out at various levels of Djinn recovery, you can find time to be damaging Dullahan, healing/reviving people, and continuing to switch party members in and out as they recover. He doesn't djinn storm often enough to negate that, and you can hit a point of sustainability.

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-12, 07:46 AM
So i have this nasty habbit of putting the warrior-types (issac, garet, felix, pires) together in the same group as my "primary" fighting force, with the spellcasters as the reserve, i just find that physical attacks seem to do more damage then psyenergy, although that might just be that i've been beefing up Garet to have the highest attack stat possible.

the thing is, i've got Pires equiped with the trainers whip as my healer, and elder wood isn't that great at healing at the moment. How screwed am i?:smallbiggrin:

Anarion
2013-05-12, 08:03 AM
So i have this nasty habbit of putting the warrior-types (issac, garet, felix, pires) together in the same group as my "primary" fighting force, with the spellcasters as the reserve, i just find that physical attacks seem to do more damage then psyenergy, although that might just be that i've been beefing up Garet to have the highest attack stat possible.

the thing is, i've got Pires equiped with the trainers whip as my healer, and elder wood isn't that great at healing at the moment. How screwed am i?:smallbiggrin:

Not at all, really. You can always just go pick up a couple more levels, and as long as you can switch in somebody to do group healing, you're basically fine. All the characters are pretty versatile, and nothing except Dullahan and a couple bonus bosses is actually challenging enough to require specific strategies.

TSGames
2013-05-12, 08:54 AM
Definitely. The original duology is frankly superior to Dark Dawn in most respects. Not that Dark Dawn is a bad game, but it's pretty unfocused, and doesn't even tell a complete story, and it does not look like we're getting a sequel. Plus Karis is just about the only one of the group with much personality.

On the flip side, the original Golden Sun titles are pretty easily among the best games on the GBA. While their character development isn't their strongest suit, there is more than in Dark Dawn, and they spin a very good fantasy epic for their plot. Plus of course, great gameplay.

I wholeheartedly agree. Although I would go so far as to say that the original Golden Sun was one of the best RPGs that I've played, irrespective of console.

If you liked the third one, you may find the prequels to be difficult, but the story they tell is complete and the powers of the characters are far more awesome.

Togath
2013-05-13, 12:19 AM
I do actually enjoy difficult games, so the first two sound up my alley(also, do either involve the "mourning moon" event talked about at the start of Dark Dawn? I started replaying it and came across the lore for the event, which sounds a lot like the vortex thingy shown in the final cutscene of dark dawn)

Zevox
2013-05-13, 12:49 AM
I do actually enjoy difficult games, so the first two sound up my alley(also, do either involve the "mourning moon" event talked about at the start of Dark Dawn? I started replaying it and came across the lore for the event, which sounds a lot like the vortex thingy shown in the final cutscene of dark dawn)
Nope, that's one of those things that got introduced in Dark Dawn and was never fully resolved during it. That'll remain an unknown forever unless we actually get a sequel to Dark Dawn sometime.

Maryring
2013-05-13, 01:52 AM
Though I, personally, wonder if it won't also be tied up to Sheba somehow. Her story really didn't feel complete back in TLA, and considering there are a couple implications that she came from what is thought to be the moon...

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-13, 09:26 AM
pretty sure hte "mourning moon" and the city that eventually became the moon are two sepperate entities, just as the "golden sun" is different from the actual Sun that lights the day.

Togath
2013-05-13, 01:11 PM
pretty sure the "mourning moon" and the city that eventually became the moon are two separate entities, just as the "golden sun" is different from the actual Sun that lights the day.

Aye, that was my impression as well.
They did seem to have planned to make a fourth game..
Do you suppose the delay(about two years) could be due to them making it for 3ds instead of ds?

Anarion
2013-05-13, 02:17 PM
Aye, that was my impression as well.
They did seem to have planned to make a fourth game..
Do you suppose the delay(about two years) could be due to them making it for 3ds instead of ds?

I think the delay is due to the fact that they seem to take about half a decade to make new games. People were legitimately surprised when even Dark Dawn happened.

Knight13
2013-05-13, 06:17 PM
I'm going to add my recommendation for the first two as well. I loved the first one so much that I logged something like 26 hours on it in the first two days, it was crazy. Once you've played them you should totally play Dark Dawn again. There's a lot of references, hints and returning characters that you probably didn't get because you haven't played the first two yet. Isaac and Garet, Matthew and Tyrell's fathers from the beginning of the game, are two of the original party from the first game. Other characters that you hear about like Jenna, Ivan and Captain Piers are also former party members.

And yes, Arcanus is another returning character from the first two. He's always been very mysterious and likes to play other villains for suckers, which is why we didn't find out what he's actually up to in DD.

Thrawn183
2013-05-14, 10:38 PM
Man, this thread is really hitting home how much better GS and GS:TLA were, I barely remember the plot from Dark Dawn at all.

Zevox
2013-05-14, 10:58 PM
Man, this thread is really hitting home how much better GS and GS:TLA were, I barely remember the plot from Dark Dawn at all.
Yeah, honestly I don't recall many of the details either. Probably a result of Dark Dawn's story being so incomplete that we don't even really have any clue what the villains were up to by the end.

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-14, 11:05 PM
I'm going to add my recommendation for the first two as well. I loved the first one so much that I logged something like 26 hours on it in the first two days, it was crazy. Once you've played them you should totally play Dark Dawn again. There's a lot of references, hints and returning characters that you probably didn't get because you haven't played the first two yet. Isaac and Garet, Matthew and Tyrell's fathers from the beginning of the game, are two of the original party from the first game. Other characters that you hear about like Jenna, Ivan and Captain Piers are also former party members.

And yes, Arcanus is another returning character from the first two. He's always been very mysterious and likes to play other villains for suckers, which is why we didn't find out what he's actually up to in DD.

Don't forget Eoleo, he makes a small-ish appearance in lost age.

theMycon
2013-05-14, 11:28 PM
I'm going to break from the majority here. I loved 1 & 3; but 2 (The Lost Age) was not my cup of tea. I decided I didn't like it when I realized that my repeated the same conversation explaining what psyenergy was to someone who had suddenly developed powers 10 times since I had forwarded the main plot or heard mention of our main goal. That said, I didn't realize this until my second play-through. It kept me entertained through a road-trip in 2 hours spurts the first time I tried it.

Golden Sun, the first one, was a damn fine game. The plot & characters blew Dark Dawn out of the water, the puzzles were often fun, and the battle system encouraged genuine strategy. Your characters all have some reasonable motivation for what they're doing, and you feel involved.
However, regardless of what most people here are implying, it didn't try to tell a complete story. It tried to tell half a story, and it did that extremely well.

The Lost Age was very fun. The puzzles are better, the battles & classes are more involved, and everything mechanical about it is bigger and better. The main story pops up right at the start and shows a lot of promise. BUT...
Then, for the first half of the game its only interaction with you is showing up randomly once or twice (depending on how hard you look) to say "Hey, remember I'm still here. I'm moving on without you, so you'd better get a move on yourselves." This is preceeded by "we need a boat, so let's just explore these two entire continents." It is followed by you party telling you to just go exploring, starting off a sequence of 6 dungeons, followed by a maze, followed by another dungeon, to advance a side-plot that your characters have no motivation to follow.

You will spend half the game wandering listlessly just doing whatever comes up because it's the only thing to do; and often your only guidance is "I can go here and I couldn't before". The subplots have side-stories with their own subplots, and most of them don't involve the main characters any more than "you happened to show up at the nick of time." You travel far, meet interesting people, explain psyenergy to them, get a new puzzle-power, and then move on with your lives. Repeat.

Togath
2013-05-16, 08:49 PM
Yeah, honestly I don't recall many of the details either. Probably a result of Dark Dawn's story being so incomplete that we don't even really have any clue what the villains were up to by the end.

aye, re-playing dark dawn.. it's a bit odd of a progression.
It begins with a motivation(fix the soarwing).. but kind of melts from there(for example, nothing tells you to need to go to the king in Kaocho to start the quest to get the Sol Mask).

By the time you get the boat.. well.. I'm not really 100% sure what the plot was after that, other than the generic "stop the dread eclipse".
Nothing, for example, states that you need to head to Yamata, get a new party member(who has not much in the way of motivation, and joins you only minutes after not only just meeting you, but just waking from a coma..).. you then have to head to Sana, to go ask the emperor about NPCs you had no idea were related to him in any way, and finally head off to the middle of nowhere, that's marked as being behind barriers on your map, to go talk to him and receive his map, which shows several mini dungeons you may have already gone through by this point(I had all but one, as an example)

The weirdest part is the fact that all of what I mentioned(after getting the boat), save for a few pieces requiring Himi's power, can intentionally be done out of order(I had to save-scum a bit when I accidentally went to Ice burg Outpost instead of Yamata, in order to make any sense of the plot at all)..

Mewtarthio
2013-05-17, 10:30 AM
The main problem I had with DD was the lack of agency the heroes had. Seriously, they basically spend the entire game running around doing whatever the villains tell them to do. Manipulative villains only work when the heroes have motivations to exploit. In DD, it looked like everyone just decided to go along with their evil schemes because they had nothing better to do.

Togath
2013-05-17, 02:00 PM
The main problem I had with DD was the lack of agency the heroes had. Seriously, they basically spend the entire game running around doing whatever the villains tell them to do. Manipulative villains only work when the heroes have motivations to exploit. In DD, it looked like everyone just decided to go along with their evil schemes because they had nothing better to do.

Aye, that was something I'd been wondering if anyone else noticed..
The eclipse tower for example.. given that the guards actually give you permission to enter once it's evening.. why do we need to sneak in to the castle?(especially since it actually takes you further away than where you started:smallconfused:)

Provengreil
2013-05-19, 11:16 AM

It's a throwback to what "Arcanus" did and how awesome he was at doing it. Ranks top of my all time favorite villians for being an ultimate baddie who gets everything he wants without ever coming close to fighting the merry band that could probably beat him, and is stopped only by the foresight of the Wise One, who in this game is basically god.

EDIT: If it's not clear, I'm referring to him in the first games, known then as Alex.

That's because the second half the game was an amateur hour fetch quest. It's fine as some kid's introduction to that style of gaming, the combat system was unchanged with good reason, the unique djinn art was a nice touch, most use of the double screen was nice, expanding the range of psynergy was great, very low use of touch screen, I could go on about why it was good. But Golden Sun ranks among my personal best games of all time list because it's story was incredibly strong, and Dark Dawn just didn't live up to its heritage in that respect. I mean, really. "Arcanus"?

Any idiot who didn't see in about 6 seconds it was Alex is....well, an idiot, newcomers exempt as they hadn't seen him before. I called every single twist because they didn't even try to hide them. The story might have benefited if that last boss, whatever his name was, hadn't been saved for some final reveal but shown to have turned some time ago, and the party has to find some way to redeem/defeat him, at the writer's discretion.

Sylthia
2013-05-20, 12:15 AM
I liked GS3, but it didn't seem to quite fill the shoes of the first two. The opening plot hook pretty much sums it up.

GS1: You must go retrieve these stars of power and prevent the lighting of the light houses or calamity will befall the world.

GS2: You must light the lighthouses and restore alchemy to the world, or it will surely be destroyed.

GS3: Your friend was an idiot and broke your dad's glider-thing, go be a good boy and get what we need to fix it.

Also, this bugged me...
Did Isaac and Jenna get a divorce or something? Where the heck was she? Did I miss a side-quest? She's barely mentioned and doesn't appear anywhere to my knowledge. I can understand not every character from the first two returning, but why not Jenna?

Togath
2013-05-20, 12:48 AM
Aye, even having only played Dark Dawn I found her lack of appearance in the third game odd(the lore books gave enough information to know she existed even if this is the first of the series you've played.. but never explained why she doesn't appear in Dark Dawn)

Sylthia
2013-05-20, 01:29 AM
Aye, even having only played Dark Dawn I found her lack of appearance in the third game odd(the lore books gave enough information to know she existed even if this is the first of the series you've played.. but never explained why she doesn't appear in Dark Dawn)

She didn't even need to have a big part, she could have been at the beginning with Isaac and Garet, or Isaac could have just said, "Jenna's on vacation in Prox" or anything to explain her not being there. I was honestly expecting her to show up at some point, especially since she's the mother of one of the protagonists.

Cobalt
2013-05-20, 03:18 PM
Apparently she's in Kalay, or something? I don't know. Another sequel-maybe hook, I guess. I was looking forward to her, too, she's one of my favorite characters, aside from being pretty important.

Heh. Maybe in the theoretical sequel to Dark Dawn you'll play as Jenna for the first fifteen minutes, or something. I guess her being gone for the first 50% of things might just be a character trait.

Sylthia
2013-05-20, 03:23 PM
Apparently she's in Kalay, or something? I don't know. Another sequel-maybe hook, I guess. I was looking forward to her, too, she's one of my favorite characters, aside from being pretty important.

Heh. Maybe in the theoretical sequel to Dark Dawn you'll play as Jenna for the first fifteen minutes, or something. I guess her being gone for the first 50% of things might just be a character trait.

I thought Felix being completely absent for the third game was enough of a plot hook, unless they wanted to design a game around every absent character from the first two games. Then the entire Golden Sun Decology can end with a Kraden spinoff.

I actually wouldn't mind a non-earth or non-male protagonist. It would be nice to mix up the formula a bit.

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-20, 03:24 PM
I was honestly a little dissapointed when i played DD and found out she hooked up with Issac. I always kinda shipped her with Garet:smalltongue:

Sylthia
2013-05-20, 03:33 PM
I was honestly a little dissapointed when i played DD and found out she hooked up with Issac. I always kinda shipped her with Garet:smalltongue:

I remember a scene where Sheba asks if Jenna and Isaac are an item, and Jenna turns red. I don't think we ever find out Garet's wife's name.

Cobalt
2013-05-20, 03:34 PM
I thought Felix being completely absent for the third game was enough of a plot hook, unless they wanted to design a game around every absent character from the first two games. Then the entire Golden Sun Decology can end with a Kraden spinoff.

4/4, would play as Kraden. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zblstnPYIUg)

I always shipped Isaac and Mia. No real idea how it would actually happen for the story, but I held out hope right to the giddy end. I mean, I fanboyed regardless.

Better than each of the original characters having a child for DD, but none of them hooked up with each other, so all the DD boys and girls have either only one known parent and the other is "away" or they introduce a load of new NPCs for the sole purpose of being the mothers and fathers.

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-20, 03:38 PM
i always shipped Mia and Ivan myself. and i thiiink Felix and Sheeba? not sure on that last one.

Cobalt
2013-05-20, 03:48 PM
Sheba always seemed like a shipless character for me. Maybe it was just the hair. I mean, that hair was really shipless, for me. (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb62046/goldensun/images/thumb/a/ad/GSSheba.jpg/500px-0,380,0,380-GSSheba.jpg)

Recently, though, I've been thinking on it and I find her less and less a shipless being. Even with the hair. Good sirs, at this point, maybe even because of the hair.

Sylthia
2013-05-20, 11:30 PM
I thought it was Isaac-Jenna, Felix-Sheba, and maybe Garet-Mia, but I think the last one got disproven in DD.

Draconi Redfir
2013-05-21, 11:53 AM
The Goblins thread helped me discover Awkward Zombie again, and i found this. (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=082712)

it seemed appropriate given the current topic of discussion.

Sylthia
2013-05-21, 01:18 PM
The Goblins thread helped me discover Awkward Zombie again, and i found this. (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=082712)

it seemed appropriate given the current topic of discussion.

I had forgotten about that. I wasn't a big fan of the 4 expressions that can easily be misinterpreted or wished there was a none-of-the-above option.