PDA

View Full Version : A couple of warlock questions [3.5]

questionmark693
2013-05-05, 08:09 PM
As the title indicates, I have a few questions on specifics regarding warlocks after reading their description in the Complete Arcane.

1. Can I use Eldritch Blast as many times per day as I want?
2. Can I use Invocations as many times per day as I want?
3. If my invocation affects my Eldritch Blast, do I need to 'cast' the invocation before I use Eldritch Blast for it to apply?
4. At level six (assuming pure warlock), I should know four invocations, with only a possible total of one of them being a lesser level invocation, right?

Thanks a ton for any and all help :smallsmile:

koboldish
2013-05-05, 08:10 PM
Away from books at the moment, but I know that 1 and 2 are yes. Warlocks are fun.

Amnestic
2013-05-05, 08:15 PM
1. Can I use Eldritch Blast as many times per day as I want?
2. Can I use Invocations as many times per day as I want?
3. If my invocation affects my Eldritch Blast, do I need to 'cast' the invocation before I use Eldritch Blast for it to apply?
4. At level six (assuming pure warlock), I should know four invocations, with only a possible total of one of them being a lesser level invocation, right?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Blast Shapes/Blast Essences are "cast" as part of the Eldritch Blast and thus require no extra action to apply. You can apply one Blast Shape and one Blast Essence per Eldritch Blast, if you so desire.
4) Yes.

questionmark693
2013-05-05, 08:20 PM
Thank you so much :smallsmile: Just to make sure though, I can have any one Blast Shape AND any one Blast Essence applied to my Eldritch Blast, both at no change in 'casting time' of my Eldritch Blast?

Chronos
2013-05-05, 08:23 PM
That is correct.

questionmark693
2013-05-05, 08:24 PM
Warlocks just got a little cooler for me :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2013-05-05, 08:25 PM
Thank you so much :smallsmile: Just to make sure though, I can have any one Blast Shape AND any one Blast Essence applied to my Eldritch Blast, both at no change in 'casting time' of my Eldritch Blast?

Yes, except for the essences that change the casting time. Eldritch Glaive is a full round action to use.

questionmark693
2013-05-05, 08:26 PM
Yes, except for the essences that change the casting time. Eldritch Glaive is a full round action to use.

But something like that will be listed in the description when I read it, right?

Amnestic
2013-05-05, 08:32 PM
But something like that will be listed in the description when I read it, right?

Yes. And yes, Warlocks are quite a cool class. Not the most powerful, but they've got enough cool tricks to almost always be contributing. Plus the source of their power stuff is easily refluffable.

Snowbluff
2013-05-05, 09:09 PM
Warlocks are almost too cool. I suggest lowering the coolness on them about 20% so they don't overwhelm the party.

questionmark693
2013-05-05, 09:11 PM
Luckily this warlock is a bad guy, so he's licensed to be too cool :smallwink:

Kane0
2013-05-05, 09:30 PM
If he's going to be a recurring bad guy, make sure to get him Fell Flight, Walk Unseen and Flee the Scene so he's less likely to be prematurely killed. Spiderwalk, Eldritch Spear and Dark One's Luck can also be good for this.

questionmark693
2013-05-05, 09:40 PM
Definitely planning on those :) oh, also-does the Eldritch Chain in conjunction with Eldrithc Theurge work the way I hope it does? i.e. if I attach an arcane spell with range (personal) to my eldritch blast, does it go to every target of the chain?

Snowbluff
2013-05-05, 09:53 PM
Definitely planning on those :) oh, also-does the Eldritch Chain in conjunction with Eldrithc Theurge work the way I hope it does? i.e. if I attach an arcane spell with range (personal) to my eldritch blast, does it go to every target of the chain?

It only works on the first target hit.