PDA

View Full Version : Good template for arcane spell caster

Yogibear41
2013-05-05, 10:37 PM
Assuming you get it for free so no lose of caster level what are some good templates for arcane casters? Primariliy for sorcerers or other similar classes

Bonus points if it has a draconic feel to it.

Snowbluff
2013-05-05, 10:43 PM
Phrenic, Unholy Scion... Half-dragon...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-05-05, 11:18 PM
Draconic from the Draconomicon
Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm)
Half-Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)
Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) because you can get Primordial Giant from Secrets of Xen'drik

Muggins
2013-05-05, 11:23 PM
Excluding those above..

There's the Draconic template from Draconomicon at +1 LA. +2 Str, Con and Cha with some nice bonuses.
You might be able to convince your DM to lower the Reptillian template from Savage Species to +1 LA. They receive +2 Wis instead of +2 Cha and trade some of the Draconic creature's bonuses for +2 Natural Armour (Draconic gives +1).

I hear Vampire (MM1) and Vampire Lord (WotC web supplement) are good without the stinky +8 LA, especially the latter.

The Spellwarped template from MM3 is always a favourite for me.

Half-Fey from the Fiend Folio make good sorcerers, not unlike the Phrenic template. Mentioned above.

Chronos
2013-05-05, 11:34 PM
If you're getting it for free? Monster of Legend is pretty good, as is the epic version of Pseudonatural. But that's probably not what you meant. So is there some maximum LA that's allowed?

Oh, and White Dragonspawn gives you a level of sorcerer spellcasting (which stacks with the class) for 1 LA. So if you get it without the LA, it's basically free spellcasting for a sorcerer.

Yogibear41
2013-05-06, 12:17 AM
What book are the dragonspawn templates in again?

Azoth
2013-05-06, 12:23 AM
Magic Blooded (Spark) from dragon mag +0LA +2CHA -2WIS +some SLAa

Primordial Giant (secrets of xen'drik) +0LA -2str -2con +4int +4 cha

Phreneric (SRD) +2LA +4int +4cha + PLAs depending on HD

Unseelie Fey +0LA -2str +2dex -2con +4Cha some other abilities

Half Fey (SRD) +2LA

Arcanist
2013-05-06, 01:04 AM
What book are the dragonspawn templates in again?

Dragonlance Campaign setting and it is only worthwhile for White Dragonspawn.

Miranius
2013-05-06, 03:10 AM
Ravenloft has a host of templates that any sane DM will ban (most with no mentioned LA).
Greater Phantom (i think MM 3) is one of my favourites, although not directly tied to casting it benefits from a high Cha score.
Affiliating with undead or evil deities and willing to sacrifice 1 LA? Vecna Blooded to become the uber-sneak. (Oh, the cutie Balor has permanent true seeing. Well bad luck that true seeing is a divination effect, so i`m invisible to him :amused: )

Maginomicon
2013-05-06, 03:21 AM
Draconic from the Draconomicon
The Draconic Racial Class from Races of the Dragon pages 70-71 is better, since it lets you slowly progress through the benefits of the Draconic template and the Half-Dragon template as you go.

Yogibear41
2013-05-06, 09:06 AM
I think the Dragonspawn templates fit what I'm looking for the best so far.

graymachine
2013-05-06, 09:26 AM
As someone else asked, how much LA are you getting essentially for free?

Also, does this DM provide free beer and back rubs? If so, where is this game?

Chronos
2013-05-06, 10:31 AM
Wait, Vecna-Blooded is only LA +1? I thought that was epic!

Green Leviathan
2013-05-06, 10:58 AM
Not really a templete per say, but dragonborn of bahamut is dragon theme whithout a lvl adj.

otakumick
2013-05-06, 12:07 PM
Magister is a rather lovely template if you can swing it, especially if you can get it for free.

Eldan
2013-05-06, 12:09 PM
Ghost isn't bad for a sorcerer.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-06, 12:42 PM
Magister is a rather lovely template if you can swing it, especially if you can get it for free.

What book is the magister template in? Oh, I just got an itch to make an NPC.

graymachine
2013-05-06, 12:58 PM
Ghost isn't bad for a sorcerer.

Ghost is fantastic for a Sorceror.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-05-06, 01:48 PM

It is a Forgotten Realms template. I cannot remember which exact book.

Evolved Shrimp
2013-05-06, 01:56 PM
If you can choose any template, it's hard to beat Paragon Creature from the Epic Level Handbook: No subtlety at all but tons and tons of cheese - +15 to every ability, and that's just for starters...

For a slightly less campaign-breaking approach you could check out the Phantom template from Monster Manual V. If you don't take it too early, you can switch between being corporeal and incorporeal at will and get your charisma modifier as a bonus to AC.

Also not bad: Half-Nymph from Dragon 313, which geht's you Cha +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Dex +2 plus an at-will attack that requires targets to make a Will save or be staggered.

DMVerdandi
2013-05-06, 02:20 PM
20 Divine rank Deity.
HEHEHEH.

Also paragon template.
Saint
Half Celestial
Half-dragon
Vampire Lord
Werewolf Lord

Story
2013-05-06, 04:11 PM
Evolved Undead gives +2CHA and fast healing for 1LA. And you can take it as many times as you want.

Spuddles
2013-05-06, 06:29 PM
Variant half fiend template, where you base it on a specific fiend, can be really good. Succubus gives like +8 cha, arcanoloth +8int.

kreenlover
2013-05-06, 06:56 PM
also the half succubus template was good. forget where it was found, but from dragon magazine. If I remember correctly it got bonuses to charisma, int, dex, con, as well as some neat SLA's.

Could be worth checking out

otakumick
2013-05-06, 10:57 PM

Magic of Faerun Page 185

Yogibear41
2013-05-07, 01:48 AM
As someone else asked, how much LA are you getting essentially for free?

Also, does this DM provide free beer and back rubs? If so, where is this game?

Working on ideas for an E6 game that I may run in the future, keeping the level cap at 6 to put an emphasis on the limits of humanity, but working on a variety of templates that said character could potentially earn/achieve to still advance their powers. Most of said templates are pretty amazing, like the Saint template for example.

Reason for wanting a dragon feel is for in said setting all arcane magic is directly related to dragons, and every person with the ability to cast said magic (there aren't alot) is some how descended from a dragon however long ago that may have been.

Arcane magic is also incredibly frowned upon in 90% of the world, basically because the elder dragons and current gods were basically created at the same time by a greater diety to work together but they didn't, and essentially became rivals(their powers were pretty much equal), and the lesser gods ended up getting the upper hand way back when, so through their influence and the way history books have been righten arcane magic bees a bad thing. Also their are next to no actual dragons in the setting, and some if not all of the original elder dragons are basically comatose somewhere.

But all of that is just ideas in my head, the minor details change from day to day, but like I said ideas for a game I may run in the future. Working on it exercises my brain :smallsmile:

To answer the question about free LA, once they are 6 and they somehow get a template I'm basically going to ignore the LA but their levels are still capped at 6