PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #381 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-11-25, 02:14 PM
It's only...14.25 hours late. Sorry about that, the combination of turkey and the flu caused me to actually sleep through all of Friday, so I didn't start the comic until this morning.

Flabbicus
2006-11-25, 02:17 PM
Wow, uh... that's a rather risque dress.

v Yeah, anyone else notice the elf one?

JustIgnoreMe
2006-11-25, 02:19 PM
How many different personality subroutines does this girl have, anyway?

*edit* Oh my... is that what I think it is on the pink haired one?

garylian
DIVE DIVE DIVE!

Man, Nale is slime. This should be good!

B-Man
No need to appologise, Giant. Thanks for the great comic!

Erloas
2006-11-25, 02:20 PM
Great, I was really wondering when this would come up.

I have a feeling Nale went a bit too far with this, but as many expected this seems to be the beginning of the end for Nale's little plan.

Electric_Monkey
2006-11-25, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the strip Giant, I hope you're feeling better now. I don't quite understand the significance of the title - would someone more perceptive care to explain how "Improved Feint" relates to the strip?

Xonaag
2006-11-25, 02:21 PM
Here in Spain the weather has gone crazy, from summer to winter in one week...

Good comic (as usual).

Se despide Xonaag

Hario
2006-11-25, 02:21 PM
wow the return of Emo Haley... uh oh... well at least we get to see some more good side plot... hopefully elan barges in, after sneaking out... of course..

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-25, 02:22 PM
*guffaws*

This is gonna be goood on so many levels.

teratorn
2006-11-25, 02:22 PM
Well, it' was worth the waiting. Of course now I can't wait to see Haley in that dress.

Blinkbear
2006-11-25, 02:23 PM
GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!

Nale's speech was really funny and the last panel looks awesome! Good job!

Sundog
2006-11-25, 02:25 PM
That's excellent. I'm assuming Haley was trying to say something like "Elan..." before he stopped her...The multiple Haley-selves seem to presage some major soul-searching on the part of our mal-lingual rogue...

Love it!

Wiggle
Great strip - who on earth are all those people/figures in the last scene?? Looking back from OOTS 319 we've got her self-reliance, optomism and "stop all this emo crap" :haley: Haley - I wonder who all the others are.

Paranoia? Self-worth? Self-loathing? There could be dozens

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0319.html (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/../comics/oots0319.html)

SPoD
I love that Nale managed to stumble ass-backwards into not learning about Haley's speech condition yet again.

Esclados
2006-11-25, 02:26 PM
Wow, "my overpowering mental defects and my annoying childish persona." Nale is terrible at deception. I guess he didn't put many ranks in Bluff from his rogue levels.

Bluesilver
2006-11-25, 02:26 PM
I liked the last panel. I also liked how Nale admired, well, himself. Feel better Giant!

TMTree
2006-11-25, 02:27 PM
The tension is unbearable! How can we possibly wait until Monday? (I loved seeing all the different aspects of Haley's personality- all looking shocked). And of course, I hope that you make a speedy recovery.:smallsmile:

ElfMaster2000
2006-11-25, 02:28 PM
Wow.. I really thought she would've noticed already. And how many different sides does does she have?

Adder
2006-11-25, 02:29 PM
Poor Haley. At last she gets everything she has been hoping for, and now it goes all wrong. I hope she'll listen to one of her more, uh, levelheaded personifications.

DArKandEViL
2006-11-25, 02:31 PM
All hands on deck, Very Funny. Interesting thought, though. I'm posting from the Apples store in Manhattan.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-25, 02:31 PM
I'm always pleased when the strip actually gets a laugh out of me. Well done, Rich!

Maratanos
2006-11-25, 02:32 PM
I'm scared... This doesn't look like Haley figuring out what's going on... This looks like Haley about to go insane... :eek:

By the way, I LOVE Haley's expression in the first panel. It's like, HUH? Why the heck is Elan now SMART?

Don Beegles
2006-11-25, 02:34 PM
Oh man. I loved that one. It's gotta be the first in a while that actually made me laugh out loud. MOst make me laugh pretty hard inside, but for this one I couldn't help myself.

Nale's speech was one of the best I've ever seen. It managed to use all of those stupid romantic cliches, insult Elan, compliment himself, and still be funny at the same time.

Is it just me, or has he been planning this for a while. I mean, we saw him walking out of one panel last strip and into teh next with the bouquet, so he probably didn't have time to get the dress then, so he probably had it before.

I wonder what exactly Haley's expression in the last panel meant. It's the same as panel 3, but all of her personas have it, so it seems like the dress is somehow significant, though I'm not sure why. Well, significant beyond that fact that it's a rather skanky dress, because that alone probably wouldn't earn that expressions.

Duffren
2006-11-25, 02:35 PM
Wow, Haley is really complicated. Im surprised she didnt see through Nale's disguise, most of those words were way above Elan's reading level!

Rumda
2006-11-25, 02:37 PM
so...many...personality..aspects...

Eldpollard
2006-11-25, 02:39 PM
well she fell for it. noooo! nice dress choice btw.

Maratanos
2006-11-25, 02:39 PM
Great, I was really wondering when this would come up.

I have a feeling Nale went a bit too far with this, but as many expected this seems to be the beginning of the end for Nale's little plan.

Why, exactly? She's smiling in at least 3 of the panels. What makes you think that she's seeing through him, as opposed to just going totally nuts at the thought that Elan is asking HER out...

Swashbuckler
2006-11-25, 02:40 PM
Haley's gotta notice that Elan is not acting like his old-doofus-self. If she doesn't ... well, then she deserves whatever she gets.

All hands on deck, indeed ... :biggrin:

Mr_Saturn
I can't help but notice a "male-haley" personality in the top right corner of the last panel. o_O

fwiffo
How many times can Nale blow it and still get away with it? Does he really not know how un-Elan like he sounds? If it was anyone but love-smitten Haley, his ass would be completely caught.

As it is, there is still a good chance Haley would see how few of things she values in Elan she saw in that speech.

Interesting that she is smiling opening the box, but not smiling holding the dress.

orcmonk89
2006-11-25, 02:41 PM
LOL

Always wondered how chat-ups would go in DnD...

Maratanos
2006-11-25, 02:41 PM
I can't help but notice a "male-haley" personality in the top right corner of the last panel. o_O

No, that's Haley's "stop all this emo crap", which shows up back in Strip 319 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0319.html)

Oh, and someone had a good point: He STILL doesn't know that she can't talk right, so that's still an ace up the sleeve of whoever wants this to turn out right...

Renrik
2006-11-25, 02:46 PM
Buwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!

Okay, so let's start pecing together who the alternate personalities might be:
--------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
Emo Haley: Self-loathing

Armored Haley: I'm going with a militaristic part of Haley's brain.

Green Haley: See Red Haley, below.

Red Haley: It seems apparent that Red Haley and Green Haley are opposites. Maybe Green haley is the word "Yes" and Red Haley the word "No". Or perhaps one of them is Truthful Haley and the other is Lying Haley. That's the theory I'm currently going with, supported by a similar set-up in the Three trials, and by the fact that the two look the same save for the color. I don't really know.

Little Girl Haley: Optism

Blond Haley: Self-Reliance

Elven Haley: That's just really wierd. I have no idea. maybe she's vanity, or rebeliousness.

Short-haired Haley: Sick of emo-crap and likes comedy

Dress-wearing Haley: maybe a poor version of Haley. Or perhaps an afraid version.

faerwain
2006-11-25, 02:52 PM
Get well Rich, hope you at least enjoyed the turkey.

Wow, I don't believe Nale anymore to be smarter as Elan when he thinks he poses believable as Elan with this long, slimy speech. But granted, he may expect Haley to concentrate on other things at this moment, and he didn't really get the impression of the order being observant.

The last panel was somehow totally funny, and I'm curious about her other aspects..I'd guess that the green one might be her love for the nature? But as other already pointed out, I'm a little confused by the elf..She is half-elf? V's sister?? We'll see, but as already stated, it's notable that even her optimism and the "have fun"-personality look concerned.

I hope that the armoured personality in the back will take over control soon when meeting Nale..stab him with the flowers! Strangle him with the dress! Get some other fun ideas from Belkar! You can do it!
Plot moving and nice last panel - I enjoyed it.

EDIT: Okay, simu'd by Renrik who has far more details ;)

Baru
2006-11-25, 02:55 PM
Wisdom is definetly Nale's dump stat.

Oh noes, Haley speaks in this strip! Can we expect to get a translation on that? Hah...

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-25, 02:56 PM
Arrgh! INCOMING!!!

*Ducks, shells go off nearby*

I hope Haley makes it out alright...

Personality guesses:

Red/Green: Doubt!/Go! or No!/Yes! aspects of her decisions.

Child: Youthful, boundless optimist version

Armor: Badass, stormtrooper part

Blonde: Popular, Confident Haley

Short-Haired: Guy-ish, college fun part

Ratty Dress/Shaggy Hair: The poor Cinderella, modest part

Elf: Her vulcan personality? Maybe distant elf heritage? WTF?

Adder
2006-11-25, 02:59 PM
Hmm... My guess on the other Haleys:

Elven Haley: Maybe the What-would-Vaarsuvius-do-part of her brain. They seem pretty close, after all.

Armored Haley: I saw this as a bit of shiny knight-aspect. Probably the part of her that wants to be a hero an protect the helpless

Dress-wearing Haley: My guess would be that this one represents the part that would've rather stayed home

On the others, I agree with Renrik, though

Zeb The Troll
2006-11-25, 03:00 PM
Wow, uh... that's a rather risque dress.

v Yeah, anyone else notice the elf one?
I didn't until I read your post. Nice catch!

Wow, Haley is really complicated. Im surprised she didnt see through Nale's disguise, most of those words were way above Elan's reading level!
I think the last panel shows us that, on some level (maybe several levels!), she sees something very not right about what just happened. The fact that she's smiling in a few panels just tells me that she's being blinded by actually hoping that what she's been wanting could actually be coming to fruition right now.

Buwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!

Okay, so let's start pecing together who the alternate personalities might be:
-------------------------------------

Dress-wearing Haley: maybe a poor version of Haley. Or perhaps an afraid version.
I kind of thought this was Hippie-Haley.

Lerch
Haley's expression in the first panel is "Of course you're interrupting something important....I'm counting loot"

:smallbiggrin:

Krytha
I guess Haley just wants this so bad that she's willing to ignore all the signs that say "NOT ELAN NOT ELAN NOT ELAN" and just go with it.

Noneoyabizzness
gleeeeee

nale is gonna get too fresh

wodan46
2006-11-25, 03:01 PM
I agree with the theory that the red/green haleys are representative of affirmative and negatory choices (IE yes, no).

Zeb The Troll
2006-11-25, 03:02 PM

Oh noes, Haley speaks in this strip! Can we expect to get a translation on that? Hah...
Heh, my guess is she's saying "Bu-".

Skyserpent
2006-11-25, 03:03 PM
Why does Haley have an Elvish personality trait?

Pronounceable
2006-11-25, 03:06 PM
Had to register and comment.

Haley has been my fave since she swindled Belkar's potion. And now we get to see "how" complex a personality she has.

And Nale is so bad, it's good.

SMEE
2006-11-25, 03:06 PM
Now that was a low move from Nale. A perfect fitting, gorgeous dress... he's trully evil and cunning... There's no way out from this one for Haley...

~The Patriots~
2006-11-25, 03:12 PM
Awsome comic strip, but now it leaves an even greater cliff hanger!!!! Get well soon nonetheless

Armored Haley: I'm going with a militaristic part of Haley's brain.

I'd say courage

Green Haley: See Red Haley, below.

Red Haley: It seems apparent that Red Haley and Green Haley are opposites. Maybe Green haley is the word "Yes" and Red Haley the word "No". Or perhaps one of them is Truthful Haley and the other is Lying Haley. That's the theory I'm currently going with, supported by a similar set-up in the Three trials, and by the fact that the two look the same save for the color. I don't really know.

I would also go with truth vs lieing.

I would have said optimistic vs pessimistic but there's already the little girls. This does however mean that maybe there's a pessimistic haley

Elven Haley: That's just really wierd. I have no idea. maybe she's vanity, or rebeliousness.

my guess is either wisdom or secrets

possibly pessimistic, to counterballance the optimistic

Also notice how the comedy haley is the only one without the :smalleek: expression

faerwain
2006-11-25, 03:19 PM
Elven Haley: Maybe the What-would-Vaarsuvius-do-part of her brain. They seem pretty close, after all.

Sounds plausible, I'm somehow convinced with these interpretations.

Armoured Haley I would see more as her strength and self-protection(be in battles or social occasions), often teaming up with self-reliance.
Haley in dress(Or "Mom-Haley") I believe is the more family-like Haley, who wants to rescue her father, get together with Elan and have a family in the future.

Is anybody else a little reminded of the Star Trek:TNG episode where Riker makes this test at the sanitarium where pictures of his crewmates are displayed as parts of personality(Picard as Reasoning, Troi for Emotions, Worf for Anger/Action) ?

dakiwiboid
2006-11-25, 03:28 PM
Why does Haley have an Elvish personality trait?
:smallbiggrin:
It's just her innermost elf.

Neopolis
2006-11-25, 03:29 PM
Silly, silly, Haley. I'd like to see how this turns out.

Terraxos
2006-11-25, 03:29 PM
Another great comic. The hilarious final panel, with Haley apparently on the point of having a complete mental breakdown, reminded me of this one: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0303.html
She really is a very complex young woman, isn't she? Which is a bit unfortunate, because if she didn't have so much inner conflict going on, I feel sure she'd be able to realise that 'Elan' = Nale. He's not exactly doing a very good job of hiding it!

I particularly like how Haley was so well-characterised in this strip, despite barely speaking a single line. Just shows how much can be achieved with facial expressions (Gromit in Wallace & Gromit, anyone?). Overall, very funny indeed.

theKOT
2006-11-25, 03:42 PM
Very nice. The Monologue, while very Nale-ish, was funny and interesting and well done. The pace is pretty much perfect throughout, with enough jokes to keep you gripped while still revealing enough plot and character info to be worthwhile. The last panel was priceless and this built a lot of tension, 9/10

Ooooo, what will happen? Is it monday yet?

drunkmonk
2006-11-25, 03:44 PM
It is wrong to like Nale - right? All the talk about miko joining the OtS has ended, but I sure hope Nale stays with them for a while.

DM

Blue_C.
2006-11-25, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the strip Giant, I hope you're feeling better now. I don't quite understand the significance of the title - would someone more perceptive care to explain how "Improved Feint" relates to the strip?

The feat just allows you to make a bluff check in combat easier, which allows you to leave your opponent flat-footed. That is essentially what Nale did to Haley.

And I agree wiht the person that said he had to have had that dress for a while. You wouldn't be abe to buy that dress in Azure city, after all.

the_tick_rules
2006-11-25, 03:45 PM
Nale really needs to dumb down his sentences. If it wasn't the right time plot wise he might not be caught but people would wonder how his vastly improved vocabulary. Plus Nale trying to whore up Haley with that S@M goth suit, i dunno.

OmegaDonut
2006-11-25, 03:47 PM
We do know that Haley has a part of her brain devoted to snippy insults. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0314.html)

SiD
2006-11-25, 03:51 PM
Great comic, Giant! :smallcool:

I'm with the 'WWVD' suggestion for elf-Haley - V is her best (or at least most intimate) friend among the party and seems to be the one whose opinion she respects most, after all, and it's got V's hair.

Guessing armour-Haley is either the tough, kick-your-ass side of her or perhaps more of a nod towards a paladin (as they're meant to be rather than like Miko, natch) in the sense of 'doing the right thing, following the rules' - like a lawful version of herself.

(EDIT: I wasn't sure from Rich's art whether the dress on the Haley in the bottom right of the panel is meant to be ragged or just cut that way. If it's ragged, I think it would be her pessimistic side to go against her optimistic side - although that spot could already be filled by emo-Haley. If not, I'm thinking middle-aged, unarmoured, hair worn down, no midriff... all in all, 'sensible' Haley, who doesn't take risks or act chaotic. In a word, 'Mom'.)

As to Nale... yeah, surely she's gotta see through him sometime. I think she's still shell-shocked by "Elan's" sudden forwardness and hasn't had time to think about it yet (2 letters isn't much to go on - half the length of the previous shortest cryptogram - but my guess is either "El--" or more likely "Wh--"), but he's definitely undermining himself all the time. Just gotta wait for his high Charisma to overreach his low Wisdom... Mind you, I've never thought he was actually interested in Haley herself, but just in the opportunities her attraction gives him to cause trouble for Elan and his friends. I'm worried for the poor girl though: the Oracle may have told her not to look the gift horse in the mouth, but Nale said he's working on the principle of "First alone, first killed."

I really thought Belkar would've said something something by now though, after Nale called him "Belkon" back in #363 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0363.html)... or V, after all Nale's insistence in #364 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0364.html) and the CPPD Vice scene in #365 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html)...

Oh yeah - first post. :smallbiggrin:

ref
2006-11-25, 04:02 PM
So, Elan all of a sudden speaks like Vaarsuvius and no alarm sounds... weird.

sklar dansig
2006-11-25, 04:10 PM
wow, are there some checks for this kind of stuff, because nale is so not-nale. wait, he is nale, so he is not-not-nale. right... he is like not-elan, ok?

anyway, someone care to explain the thing about all hands on deck? alarm on the ship?

blackout
2006-11-25, 04:13 PM
I'm tellin' ya, he's gonna turn Haley against the rest of the OOTS! I SEEN IT! Now I must jump into the acid for my bubble-bath. *does so*

~The Patriots~
2006-11-25, 04:15 PM
I'm tellin' ya, he's gonna turn Haley against the rest of the OOTS! I SEEN IT! Now I must jump into the acid for my bubble-bath. *does so*

she'd do it for loot. Loot which she already has

Mr._Blinky
2006-11-25, 04:16 PM
Wow, for a self confessed evil genious, Nale really is an idiot isn't he?

Oh, and it would seem that dress is a wee bit revealing for Haley's tastes. I see slappage in Nale's future.

Frem
2006-11-25, 04:16 PM
There is no way Haley would fall for that. Seriously. At the very least, she'd suspect Elan of being mind controlled.

KIDS
2006-11-25, 04:17 PM
Hahahhaa, this one was really awesome. But Nale will get screwed in his plan heavily. Why?
He didn't say "I love you" :)

Telhuine
2006-11-25, 04:24 PM
Hrmm. Nale's expression in panel 9 has me worried...

I think his goal isn't to ... ummm... deflower Haley. I think he wants to get her out of the leather armor to lower her AC and attempt to get rid of arguably the most vulnerable OotS member.

In other words, he's going to try to knock her off rather than knock her up! :smalltongue:

Drumbum42
2006-11-25, 04:24 PM
Very funny and unexpected. This may just put doubt in her mind and foil the plot!!!

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-11-25, 04:25 PM
"I'm tired of taking five-foot steps around each other when we should be charging!" Awesome.

H.M._Murdock
2006-11-25, 04:30 PM
Regarding the Red and Green Haley's - my guess is they represent her Good and Evil sides. Remember, she was convinced Sabine was evil as soon as she saw her wearing red leather (and red leather is pretty synonymous with evil). Red Haley seems to be wearing the same leather armour Haley is.... except it's red.

Don Beegles
2006-11-25, 04:33 PM
Hrmm. Nale's expression in panel 9 has me worried...

I think his goal isn't to ... ummm... deflower Haley. I think he wants to get her out of the leather armor to lower her AC and attempt to get rid of arguably the most vulnerable OotS member.

In other words, he's going to try to knock her off rather than knock her up! :smalltongue:

In his own words: "First alone, first killed" You do the math.

Tura
2006-11-25, 04:38 PM
I think that Rich wrote Nale's monologue like that (e.g. like something Elan could never possibly utter, and c'mon, Nale is perfectly aware of this, and not THAT stupid) on purpose: because it's funny. In fact, it's hilarious. So I think we should look upon this as pure comedy, instead of wondering "oh, why didn't she get it?". (IMHO)

elven Haley: So..many..possibilities. I don't discard anything of what's been suggested so far, but here's another one. What if the elf stands simply for dexterity? And I don't mean the stat here (DEX 20, OK we got it), I mean dexterity as an aspect for her personality. Haley can be VERY keen and efficient, so maybe the elf is a symbol of that.

Adlan
2006-11-25, 04:39 PM
I recon the dress must be sabines, explains why she was so shocked (and probably why it will fit well. Sabine is a shape Shifter, What whould you do?
if you had an open minded GF? I'm sure Nales Nailed Sabine/In Haley form).

I think she was convincing her self it was a dream come true, till she saw the dress.

fwiffo
2006-11-25, 04:43 PM

That was before he figured out that OOTS is after what could be a very significant source of power. He is not going to be doing any killings (or attempts at ones) till he figures out how he can get at gates' power.

I think Haley is safe... and I also think she is in great deal of danger.

Adeptus
2006-11-25, 04:49 PM
That was so worth the wait. Great one Giant!

Om
2006-11-25, 04:56 PM
Am I the only one that's impressed with Nale. That was smooth... even with all the ego and DnD jokes to work around.

Aliquid
2006-11-25, 04:58 PM
There is no way Haley would fall for that. Seriously. At the very least, she'd suspect Elan of being mind controlled.Logically speaking... sure, Haley would notice, but this is a seriously shocking emotional event to Haley. It is very rare for someone to think logically in situations like that.

The world would be a completely different place if people didn't act irrationally when it comes to matters of the heart.

Kish
2006-11-25, 04:59 PM
I'm sure Nales Nailed Sabine/In Haley form).I doubt that very much. In Roy form, perhaps, but Sabine hates Haley enough to be deeply offended if Nale ever admitted to being attracted to her.

~The Patriots~
2006-11-25, 04:59 PM

Nah, Haley's in no danger.

quote from Sabine: "don't kill the girl until I get down there, I want to cut her up personally" so far he has no reason to kill her. Only if she was able to figure out, then he would be in danger. But that leaves a lot of unknowns, So she's safe for a few strips

I can't wait till they have their duel

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html

divine
2006-11-25, 05:02 PM
if she doesn't figure it out in the next strip I'm going to cry :smallannoyed:

eilandesq
2006-11-25, 05:08 PM
Ordinarily, Haley would see right through this--she may still strongly suspect something is amiss. But--as others noted in the thread for the last strip--there's another factor at work here:

The Oracle told Haley, "When the gift horse comes calling, don't look it in the mouth" regarding how she could get her voice back. Nale's inept impersonation of Elan is undoubtedly something that would send off alarm bells to Haley--so she's going to assume that this is the event that the Oracle was foretelling, and she'll force down her suspicions unless something irrevocably and unmistakably gives the show away. . .such as Sabine appearing at a tender moment and going postal.

Pantler
2006-11-25, 05:18 PM
Oh boy. And I thought having three personalities is too much :smallbiggrin:
Still, Nale might be smarter than his brother, but he lacks Elan's Charsma.
He's gonna blow it abysmally. :elan:

silvadel
2006-11-25, 05:38 PM
That reminded me a lot of "Herman's Head."

As for the last frame -- how much more broken can Haley get? Too many shocks like that and we might need durkons help and a few diamonds.

Winged One
2006-11-25, 05:47 PM
And I once thought that I'd never wish Miko on anybody...

Miklus
2006-11-25, 06:01 PM
Bwahahaha! Too funny...Come on, Haley, be a good sport and put the slutty dress on!

Emotional emergency! All personalities on deck! :)

And I don't think Nale will kill Haley. Not yet anyway. When he goes to pick up Thog from jail, he can taunt Elan about how he screwed both of then over...

Deuce
2006-11-25, 06:05 PM
Not interupting anything important? Ye gods, she was counting/cleaning/bonding with her loot!!! He's lucky he didn't get a sneak attack right then!

Kadasbrass
2006-11-25, 06:06 PM
I know why she can't talk now! Waaaay to many personalities. Down size a few and she'll talk just fine.

TaxiMan
2006-11-25, 06:06 PM
<snip>
she's safe for a few strips

Lol! Think about it!

Anyone notice her hesitation looking at her loot in the bottom left frame?

Faramir
2006-11-25, 06:07 PM
Ah, wonderful. Nale being Nale. Haley Happy that Elan cares her and then shocked that he apparently has something more in mind than dinner and is apparently not as innocent and naive as she had assumed (though after catching him with Samantha way back when and the whore (disguised Sabine) recently those assumptions may have been fading anyway).

Blood
2006-11-25, 06:09 PM
GAAHHH!!

All I can say. In a good way, though, believe me.

Baru
2006-11-25, 06:17 PM
Note that Vaarsuvius isn't seen accepting the game of Parcheesi with the others. It's likely we'll be seeing the elf shortly.

Mewtroid
2006-11-25, 06:22 PM
Hi, this week's newbie here.

So, it seems to me that Haley's probably going to figure it out right away, or at least that SOMETHING is wrong with Elan. I mean, seriously. On top of all the verboseness, Elan has always been rather childish and innocent, showing any signs of sex-related thinking only on four occasions that I can think of offhand: #35: Rogues Gone Wild (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0035.html), #102: Lowbrow is the best brow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0102.html), #123: Double your Entendre, Double your Fun (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html), and #159: Plotus Interruptus (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0159.html). None of these qualify as 'kinky', while the dress has 'kinky, BDSM freak' figuratively written all over it. On the other hand, Nale is a freak. If the wordy speech didn't give Nale away, the dress did.

Nale's busted. Haley probably won't be able to TELL anyone or anything, but she's gonna figure it out within the next 30 panels.

Holy crap, second thought: What if the dress is cursed or has some kind of spell or something on it? That'd be bad, right?

Megalomaniac2
2006-11-25, 06:24 PM

I think the elven Haley looks a little like Vaarsuvius, and represents Haley's intelligence. V and Haley are so close, it makes sense Haley would subconsciously look up to him/her that way.

Gopher
2006-11-25, 06:29 PM
That last panel made me laugh out loud.

Personally, I don't think Nale is actually planning anything. My guess is he's just screwing with her mind for fun.

Sliverghost
2006-11-25, 06:38 PM
All hands on deck, Very Funny. Interesting thought, though. I'm posting from the Apples store in Manhattan.

ya i loved that "This is not a drill!" i wonder if she will put the black dress on...and i thought this comic was going to scream "ITS NALE NOT ELAN" but Haley loves him to much to notice:smallsigh: well still a great comic love it as always...Haley NOooooo dont fall for it.....to late:smallannoyed:

according to rot13.com "qr" is "de"....dont know what she was going to say

dragon95046
2006-11-25, 06:39 PM
I'm scared... This doesn't look like Haley figuring out what's going on... This looks like Haley about to go insane... :eek:

By the way, I LOVE Haley's expression in the first panel. It's like, HUH? Why the heck is Elan now SMART?

She looked more angry than anything to me. I thought Nale blew it when he said "I can see I'm not really interrupting anything too important." I mean, Haely was counting her money. She practically snapped when Roy suggested that treasure wasn't all that important before.

But, I now believe Haley will fall for the whole scam hook, line, and sinker. She has been wanting this for so long she won't WANT to see the truth. She will be almost desperate to explain away any discrepancies.

Elcaz
2006-11-25, 06:42 PM
Minor question: Have we ever seen Haley without her hair covering the side of her head where her ears should be?

dragon95046
2006-11-25, 06:48 PM
Minor question: Have we ever seen Haley without her hair covering the side of her head where her ears should be?

I don't think I have ever seen her ears actually drawn, but Durkon is bald and his ears have never been "visible" either. It seems that the ears are only drawn in when they aren't "normal" ears so I doubt she really has pointy ears.

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 06:53 PM
When you saw "all hands on deck!" did anyone else think of the sketch in Wood Allen's movie "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask" where they show the little guys running around inside the man, looking out through a parascope and so forth? I'm not sure if that movie came before Rich's time or not. :smallbiggrin:

P.S. Do we know for sure that Haley is a human? Maybe she's really an elf and it's only that one personalit who brushes her hair back behind the ears.

Hey, this could start a whole new debate: "Haley, Human or Elf!":smallwink:

dragon95046
2006-11-25, 07:06 PM
Hey, this could start a whole new debate: "Haley, Human or Elf!":smallwink:

According to her character card in the Order of the Stick Adventure Game, her race is clearly printed as Human.

Alfryd
2006-11-25, 07:09 PM
It's only...14.25 hours late. Sorry about that, the combination of turkey and the flu caused me to actually sleep through all of Friday, so I didn't start the comic until this morning.
Not to worry.

Refreshing. I wish we could see a little more of those alternate personas. of course, I also expect that haley will *eventually* cop to Nale's Naleness.

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 07:12 PM
According to her character card in the Order of the Stick Adventure Game, her race is clearly printed as Human.
(Uses Immunity to Evidence (Ex) special ability.)

Ah-ha! That could be a red herring sent to put us off off the scent (using Mixed Metaphor (Su) special ability)! The eyes may see and the nose my hear, but only the ears know for sure! :smallbiggrin:

Maratanos
2006-11-25, 07:16 PM
Giant has said that the adventure game is not Canon in that regard... :wink:

Khantalas
2006-11-25, 07:17 PM
Woo! D&D related pick-up lines.

I am SO using those in real life now.

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 07:18 PM
Giant has said that the adventure game is not Canon in that regard... :wink:

Ah-ha! More evidence of her irrefutable secret elvishness! :smallbiggrin:

Alfryd
2006-11-25, 07:24 PM
Ah-ha! More evidence of her irrefutable secret elvishness!
I select my Improved Blistering Retort feat for 7th level Blustering Pedant, granting me double normal threat range will all Blunt or Pointed commentary.

JustIgnoreMe
2006-11-25, 07:29 PM
I don't think I have ever seen her ears actually drawn, but Durkon is bald and his ears have never been "visible" either. It seems that the ears are only drawn in when they aren't "normal" ears so I doubt she really has pointy ears.

They could easily have been hidden by her hair, all along. Think Spock in a bobblehat.

And it isn't just elves & half elves that have pointed ears. Remember, Haley and Sabine are supposed to be opposites in more than one way.

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 07:32 PM
I select my Improved Blistering Retort feat for 7th level Blustering Pedant, granting me double normal threat range will all Blunt or Pointed commentary.

Very impressive! Fortunately I have Immunity to Evidence and not mere Evidence Resistance # like some of the lower-level delusional critters. :smallbiggrin:

Edit:

They could easily have been hidden by her hair, all along. Think Spock in a bobblehat.

Yes! More irrefutable evidence of Haley's inarguable elfdom!

And it isn't just elves & half elves that have pointed ears. Remember, Hayley and Sabine are supposed to be opposites in more than one way.

I have no idea what that means, but using my Immunity to Evidence as an active ability I turn it into yet more evidence of Haley's elveninity! :smallwink:

Soniku
2006-11-25, 07:52 PM
Wow, by the look on Haleys face she actually fell for it :smalleek:

Someone failed their sense motive

Nerd_Paladin
2006-11-25, 08:02 PM
Come on people, you're overanalyzing again. Of course Nale does the world's worst Elan impression, but lighten up, it's a comic strip, the obvious imposter is a staple of cartoon humor. And there's lots of precedent to suggest that even the brighter characters just aren't very aware of what's gong on. I mean, geez, V was following everyone around as a lizard and casting spells on them for week's worth of strips and they still couldn't agree on whether it was really her. And look how easily Roy was able to (accidentally) pose as the King of Nowhere. Now granted, the core characters are usually sharper than this, but that's so that the boneheadedness of characters like Elan and Thog can stand out by comparison. Every now and then though, humor takes precedent over characterization.

That's why Nale's ruse will continue to succeed even after his "date" with Haley, because it's just funnier that way. Although I expect that his forward manner and less than honorable intentions will probably lead him to totally blow it with her.

:nale:: See, this is why I'm Evil, because Evil chicks are easy!

dragon95046
2006-11-25, 08:04 PM
HAHAHA, too funny there, Mr. Stick.

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 08:11 PM
Come on people, you're overanalyzing again.

Yes, but Overanalyze Subtext (Sp) is my best special attack! :smallbiggrin:

HAHAHA, too funny there, Mr. Stick.

My students call me Professor Stick, but seeing as I don't yet have my Ph.D. (and at this rate probably never will), "Mr. Stick" is actually my proper title. :smallwink:

Felinoid
2006-11-25, 08:17 PM
Very good plot, a few jokes, and we have another 'okay' one. Didn't impress, but it certainly didn't disappoint.

Regarding the elf thing, remember that humans can have up to 49% elven blood and still be human, while 50% or over is half-elven and 100% is elven. (Unless they changed that since 2e, anyway...) Having a single elven ancestor doesn't do much, though given her self-loathing she might think it made her less of a person or less "pure" or whatever. Self-loathing is usually quite irrational.

SpoonlessJedi
2006-11-25, 08:29 PM

Think Spock in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. He just had to tie a strip of cloth around his head to hide his eyebrows and the tips of his ears- voila! Perfectly normal human wearing a robe and a headband... who looks suspiciously like Leonard Nimoy.

And secretly, I hope that
Elan's recent "I have to warn Haley" is evidence that he has finally discovered his feelings for Haley (and possibly vice-versa), so that in the event that Nale does take advantage of Haley and she does become emotionally wrecked, Elan can swoop in, sweep her off her feet, and be the sensitive bard she's always wanted.
Then they all live happily ever after. Except Emo-Haley.

dragon95046
2006-11-25, 08:30 PM
Very good plot, a few jokes, and we have another 'okay' one. Didn't impress, but it certainly didn't disappoint.

Regarding the elf thing, remember that humans can have up to 49% elven blood and still be human, while 50% or over is half-elven and 100% is elven. (Unless they changed that since 2e, anyway...) Having a single elven ancestor doesn't do much, though given her self-loathing she might think it made her less of a person or less "pure" or whatever. Self-loathing is usually quite irrational.

So if you have 49.5% elven blood, there is no classification for you. >:)

But all kidding aside (yea right!), I have found proof of her humanity. In the last panel of 277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) you can see both of her bare feet and they are most definitely both human and not elven. This definitively proves she is neither elven nor half-elven.

Khantalas
2006-11-25, 08:35 PM
Elven... feet?

This is truly a day for the gods to smile on us menacingly.

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 08:44 PM

But all kidding aside (yea right!), I have found proof of her humanity. In the last panel of 277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) you can see both of her bare feet and they are most definitely both human and not elven. This definitively proves she is neither elven nor half-elven.

Ha! An obvious ploy to try to hide her inherent elvenymity! :smallbiggrin:

Trobby
2006-11-25, 08:53 PM
Huh...

I guess this is another one of those dresses that force you to make a will save, eh? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0310.html) I was wondering what the results of that would be... :wink:

Also, I'm willing to be that Armor-Haley is her "Leadership" persona. She is, after all, second-in-command.

CynicalFelidae
2006-11-25, 09:16 PM
Is it just me, or does Short Hair Haley, in the last panel, not look the least surprised, atleast not like all the others? Perhaps she is savoring the comedy of the moment...

Varian7
2006-11-25, 09:19 PM
LOL loved the last panel..."All hands on deck". That's a lot of inner angst!

Elcaz
2006-11-25, 09:24 PM
I didn't know how to tag a line of text as a spoiler so that's why I suggested Haley's elvishness in the form of a question. But now that it's all in the open, she did have some sort of big secret to tell Elan and maybe that is it.

Rich, it's obvious you drew that ear right there knowing full well that we would go down this path, you sneaky, sneaky Giant.

Another question: Can a giant be sneaky?

hyikim
2006-11-25, 09:26 PM
according to rot13.com "qr" is "de"....dont know what she was going to say

rot13? what the heck does he know about Haley? plus, the cryptex/decoder device is different for each episode

Spiky
2006-11-25, 09:29 PM
How many different personality subroutines does this girl have, anyway?

Appears to be less than average. Maybe some are still off-screen.

Astro_Fez
2006-11-25, 09:41 PM
The dress has me worried. I think Nale's intention may be to rape Haley, before or after he tries to kill her. I know he won't succeed, of course, because Haley has to stay alive. But, geez...:smalleek:

BlythraB
2006-11-25, 09:43 PM
Doesn't she notice his vocabulary? I mean, c'mon- we all know Elan's an idiot, even if he is loveable. She's got to notice- indulge, overpowering, defects, persona, purchased... and then there's the complimenting of Nale. I mean, she can't be THAT oblivious!!! but I loved the strip... :)

(Aside: is no one else upset by the skankiness of the dress? UGGGHHH!!!) I don't think Haley just looks shocked: I think she's unhappy. sometimes getting just what you want isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Sorry to repeat what everyone else said!!!

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 09:44 PM
Is it just me, or does Short Hair Haley, in the last panel, not look the least surprised, atleast not like all the others? Perhaps she is savoring the comedy of the moment...

Ah, you are mistaking a look of obvious elvishness for a look of non-surprise. :smallwink:

teratorn
2006-11-25, 09:57 PM
I recon the dress must be sabines, explains why she was so shocked (and probably why it will fit well. Sabine is a shape Shifter, What whould you do?
if you had an open minded GF? I'm sure Nales Nailed Sabine/In Haley form).

I doubt that very much. In Roy form, perhaps, but Sabine hates Haley enough to be deeply offended if Nale ever admitted to being attracted to her.

You mean :sabine: shapeshifted as :roy: ? And then :nale: and ":roy:"had some sort of intimacy? So that's what they meant in #365 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html)...

About Haley's ears, there is the famous wardrobe malfunction #35 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0035.html). No ears when she's upside down. Of course an half-elf only has ears on one side, so problem is still not solved.

BlythraB
2006-11-25, 10:00 PM
Is anybody else a little reminded of the Star Trek:TNG episode where Riker makes this test at the sanitarium where pictures of his crewmates are displayed as parts of personality(Picard as Reasoning, Troi for Emotions, Worf for Anger/Action) ?
OH MY GOODNESS YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT!!!
Um, just a crazy thought, but did anyone else think that maybe the different haleys take control of the different parts of the brain we saw in #303? sorry, I know I'm probably nuts, but it's a thought.

teratorn
2006-11-25, 10:17 PM
Um, just a crazy thought, but did anyone else think that maybe the different haleys take control of the different parts of the brain we saw in #303? sorry, I know I'm probably nuts, but it's a thought.

Then we should have a :thog: Haley for the puppies part of the brain. A Thog with an orange Haley wig. Now that would be something!

CommanderFalken
2006-11-25, 10:33 PM

How the hell do you work that out? Her feet look identical to everyone elses. Or am I just blind?

SPOILER: Personally, I think that she's part celestial. It makes her even more of an opposite to Sabine. Just my $0.02.

Love it Mr Burlew, get better and make more comix.

charik
2006-11-25, 10:47 PM
Just wanted to say three things:
1) Hope you're feeling better, and don't fret about the comic being late;
2) Loved all the Haleys in the last frame; and
3) Please oh Please oh Please show Haley wearing that dress!:smallredface:

Kriel
2006-11-25, 10:48 PM
I do believe that Haley thinks something is up. Elan is childlike in his innocence and that dress is far from innocent. She knows Elan too well for that. If she decides not to listen to those doubts, then she deserves to be fooled. By the way, Haley's Self-Loathing made me burst out laughing in the last panel. Brilliant!

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 10:50 PM
You mean :sabine: shapeshifted as :roy: ? And then :nale: and ":roy:"had some sort of intimacy? So that's what they meant in #365 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html)...

About Haley's ears, there is the famous wardrobe malfunction #35 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0035.html). No ears when she's upside down. Of course an half-elf only has ears on one side, so problem is still not solved.

Precisely. This just proves that she's been hiding elven ears all along! :smallwink:

TroyXavier
2006-11-25, 10:57 PM
I still doubt she's anything other than human. If she was half-celestial, you'd think she'd have shown something along those lines by now, same with Elf. Very good comic btw. The last panel was one of the best.

Alakallanar
2006-11-25, 11:09 PM
Haley is definitely no elf. In OtOoPC she says she would love to live as long as elves do. So she obviously isn`t one herself. ( The whole discussion on page 51 of OtOoPC would be pointless if she really is an elf. ) And she is only 24 years old which is too young for an elf. She might be an half-elf although I think it`s very unlikely.

Kython
2006-11-25, 11:17 PM
bow-chicka-bow-wow!

but, 'cmon she has to see through this... where's her skepticism personality?

Axl_Rose
2006-11-25, 11:35 PM
So much for Nale not blowing his disguise =D

oogabooga
2006-11-25, 11:35 PM
In the last panel of 277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) you can see both of her bare feet and they are most definitely both human and not elven. This definitively proves she is neither elven nor half-elven.
o_O

In that same panel, you can see V's feet, and they look EXACTLY THE SAME.

CelestialStick
2006-11-25, 11:43 PM
Haley is definitely no elf. In OtOoPC she says she would love to live as long as elves do. So she obviously isn`t one herself. ( The whole discussion on page 51 of OtOoPC would be pointless if she really is an elf. ) And she is only 24 years old which is too young for an elf. She might be an half-elf although I think it`s very unlikely.

Ah, your denial simply fuels my certainty of her elvenity!

o_O

More proof of her elfdom!

VMorticia
2006-11-25, 11:44 PM
As others have more concicely said, her expression in the first panel seems to me to be because he slipped up by suggesting counting treasure wasn't particularly important. Big mistake for Nale though his asking-her-out seemed to push that detail from her mind.

I like Renrik's analysis of the red and green Haleys.

As for her having so many multiple personalities, I'm not in the least surprised. I guess I'm more like Haley than I thought. I mean I have my internal evil-overlord-wannabe (usually takes the form of Voldemort, but he likes Xykon now too), my confidence (vampish blonde, very snarky), my paranoia (whiny little brat but she never shows her face in my mind, kinda like MitD), my self loathing (whom my evil-overlord-wannabe usually keeps well whipped... and chained... and well... I also have a sadistic persona and a masochistic persona so do the math), and that's just the few I feel like mentioning... have I mentioned I'm a Red Dwarf fan?

Also, on a side note: CelestialStick, you may be immune to evidence, but that must mean you're vulnerable to unreasonable anti-logic... so I put it to you that Haley is in fact half-gerbil. Because I said so. There. That's your answer.

:haley:

Querzis
2006-11-25, 11:48 PM
Nale always make me smile just by being himself, I like that guy. By the way, Nale wanted to know more about the gate so he could control them after that he can kill the OOTS. Now that he learned everything the OOTS know about the gate why woudnt he try to kill them? I'm sure he know Haley wont sleep with him just after the first date and Sabine come back tomorrow. Beside, killing Haley is much more fun for Nale then having sex with her.

By the way, Haley is gonna suspect something but I doubt she is gonna suspect that its Nale. Mind control? Maybe. A shapeshifted demon? Probably. Nale...nah.

QuoVadisNation
2006-11-25, 11:57 PM
For whatever illogical reason, part of my brain is thinking that this'll be the trigger that let's Haley finally get her voice back...

A li'le lovin' is all she needs! ;)

Coupled with the creation of an emo love triangle about Haley not sure whether she loves Elan or Nale. You know, emo stuff like that. Naturally, this inner conflict would resolve itself 450 strips later with Elan winning her love somehow.

overall, neat comic. I always did wonder what exactly Haley was wearing.. o_o

Nu
2006-11-26, 12:05 AM
I have a feeling that--this is the gift horse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html) that Haley isn't supposed to look in the mouth. Though I can't imagine I'm the only one who thinks that :roach:

CelestialStick
2006-11-26, 12:11 AM
Also, on a side note: CelestialStick, you may be immune to evidence, but that must mean you're vulnerable to unreasonable anti-logic... so I put it to you that Haley is in fact half-gerbil. Because I said so. There. That's your answer.

:haley:

ROFL! Curses, VMorticia! No looking at my entry in Monster Manual 86!

Angela Christine
2006-11-26, 12:37 AM
Kiss or kill? Why not both? :smalltongue: He is evil after all.

He may intend to kill Haley, and replace her with Sabine. Then when the OotS get teleported to the gate Sabine will be teleported too, saving her a flight. Sure, Sabine could replace any member of the party, but if she impersonates Haley they could kiss and stuff without looking too weird.

Trobby
2006-11-26, 12:41 AM
I have a feeling that--this is the gift horse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html) that Haley isn't supposed to look in the mouth. Though I can't imagine I'm the only one who thinks that :roach:

On the contrary...

It is my firm belief that Haley will THINK that this is the gift horse she isn't supposed to look in the mouth, and thus, will choose to not look it in the mouth, and wind up utterly embarassing herself in the worst possible situation.

Then again, it's also possible that she will not look it in the mouth, regain her speech, but in the end lose something far more important to her.

Poor poor Haley...source of amusement for all of us, but you know you'd be going mad in her shoes...

Also, I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier, but I hope you're feeling better, Rich. ^^

Atheist_Cleric
2006-11-26, 01:04 AM
Oh come on. That speech?? NO circumstances exist in any universe where Elan would say that. I mean, I know Haley is so in love with him that it's silly, but that didnt sound ANYTHING like Elan. And then, just when it seems she bought it, the "I wanna gets me some" dress?? I hope to god that look of shock is "oh my god, there is no way that is Elan" and not "Oh my god, Elan is so forward now". One way or another, this will not be good for Haley's attraction, if you think about it. Aside from his charisma stat and his pyhsical attributes, the major thing that Haley loves about Elan is his innocent, childish personality and fun-loving attitude. Oh and Elan is nice, there's that too. If Nale keeps it up, acting "suave" (very sarcastic there) and "intelligent" (even more sarcastic there) and basically like a sleaze, and Haley doesnt see through it? Her feelings for Elan will be gone before the nights over.

Rambi
2006-11-26, 02:22 AM
Poor poor Haley, "Ok time to panic!" but I keep on noticing...

Hey a gift!

Mr._Wilson
2006-11-26, 02:27 AM
Hopefully, Elan figures out a way to intervene. I don't think Haley will figure it out on her own before it's too late. She wants it to badly to be real.

And she's really good at lying away the small details.

ref
2006-11-26, 02:31 AM
I doubt that very much. In Roy form, perhaps, but Sabine hates Haley enough to be deeply offended if Nale ever admitted to being attracted to her.

But Sabine could agree to a fake-rape, or something.

On an unrelated PG note, I hope we end up knowing all those sub-Haleys.

I still say the Order of the stick should have a +18 version, hehe... :smallbiggrin:

Antina
2006-11-26, 02:56 AM

Thats´s no male-haley. SHE already appeared and some people even mocked around about her cut hair and asked the giant to never do it to haley again.

The Hammer of Thor
2006-11-26, 03:05 AM
Haley will never wear that thing. I think. Anyway, I reckon that at least half of her personalities will see something's up. I really want to find out what Elan and Thog are doing.

palavus
2006-11-26, 03:06 AM
Anyone notice her hesitation looking at her loot in the bottom left frame?

I think she's looking at the gift she just received.. astonished.. still wondering how this came to be all of a sudden.

And yes, I think she's part (0-100%) elven/celestial/whatever-pointyears-type-of-being :smallbiggrin:

I'm a bit worried abt. the plot progress though. There would be so many interesting (yet separate) plot lines to follow now that it may take ages to get to the big confrontation (if there will be one) at the rate of 3 strips / week. Hmm.. let's see.
- Elan & Thog in (or out of) jail (?)
- Miko coming to town
- MitD (?)
- Xykon & army coming to town
- Haley & Nale
- Roy & the rest of OOTS.. Belkar "in jail" and free on the streets?
- Sabine meeting her masters, coming back & whatever may come out of the meeting or the possible collision with Nale&Haley-date.
- Shojo & Paladins .. resurrecting the wizard?

Am I forgetting anything important?

Lord Xaedien
2006-11-26, 03:15 AM
Wow, by the look on Haleys face she actually fell for it :smalleek:

Someone failed their sense motive

Or succeeded a bluff of their own.

I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO SPOILERS... BUT OPINIONS NOW FOLLOW!

I really think Haley knows something is up, but she is definently conflicted. It seems like Nale's speech was way too verbose for Elan... Plus she should KNOW that he wouldn't give her a dress that slutty. Its too bad we probably wont get to see the inner workings of Haley's mind... a big personality trait fight would be fun, some arguing Elan's innocdence, others countering.

regarding her "elf" nature... her hair is styled the EXACT same way as an elf as "normal" Haley, so I really dont think that makes her an elf/half elf.

Great comic giant!

Nu
2006-11-26, 03:18 AM
On the contrary...

It is my firm belief that Haley will THINK that this is the gift horse she isn't supposed to look in the mouth, and thus, will choose to not look it in the mouth, and wind up utterly embarassing herself in the worst possible situation.

Then again, it's also possible that she will not look it in the mouth, regain her speech, but in the end lose something far more important to her.

Poor poor Haley...source of amusement for all of us, but you know you'd be going mad in her shoes...

Also, I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier, but I hope you're feeling better, Rich. ^^

Even if that's the case, there's nothing that says Haley couldn't get her voice returned from a BAD experience as well. Even if this is a horribly bad move on Haley's part, she could still get her voice back as a result. So yeah.

Morchaint
2006-11-26, 03:56 AM
I didnt like this comic. sorry. infinity-1 out of infinity i usually like the comics. but this one I thought is too cruel to haley.

dragon95046
2006-11-26, 04:03 AM
o_O

Are you trying to tell me you can't tell that those are human feet in 277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)? I mean look at them, it's pretty obvious. Now look at V's feet and you can see that the callouses on those feet are from someone who habitually walks barefoot, while Haley's feet show the callouses and chafing along the ankle and top of her feet from walking miles in boots. We have a sample elf in Vaarsuvius, and a sample half-elf in Pompey and NEITHER OF THEM EVER WEAR SHOES. Haley simply MUST be human (or at least, not any part elven) by her choice of footwear (or rather, that she HAS footwear). :smallsigh:

Zeku
2006-11-26, 04:05 AM
Doesn't anyone else think that the OOTS is aware of what's going on, and is just playing along with Nale? That seemed fairly clear to me from the beginning.

Notice that Haley doesn't lose it until after Nale leaves? If she really thought she was speaking to Elan, she'd freak out during the speech, but since she doesn't freak out until afterwards, it means that what she's really upset about is maintaining the act during the forcoming romantic interlude, where there will be the added stress of: potential romance with a murderer, and the fact that said murderer looks just like her beloved.

Pvednes
2006-11-26, 04:17 AM
Interesting that the part of Haley that justs want to get on with the plot isn't fased at all.

Nu
2006-11-26, 04:30 AM
Doesn't anyone else think that the OOTS is aware of what's going on, and is just playing along with Nale? That seemed fairly clear to me from the beginning.

Notice that Haley doesn't lose it until after Nale leaves? If she really thought she was speaking to Elan, she'd freak out during the speech, but since she doesn't freak out until afterwards, it means that what she's really upset about is maintaining the act during the forcoming romantic interlude, where there will be the added stress of: potential romance with a murderer, and the fact that said murderer looks just like her beloved.

Um, don't you think that's a bit much to assume? I don't think the Order of the Stick would just let Elan rot in prison alongside Thog and the gnome druid intentionally, even if they wanted to go along with Nale for some reason.

Tura
2006-11-26, 05:15 AM
...Right. And besides, if that was the case, there'd be no need for "all hands on deck", she would be frustrated and angry and pissed, but not confused. The last panel is the definition of confusion.

iZak
2006-11-26, 06:54 AM
i think haley will definatly be able to figure out that its nale... but then... she will have no way of being able to tell the group! (she'll probably figure it out because if elan would bye haley any thing i think it would be a banjo the clown outfit)

Enlong
2006-11-26, 07:15 AM
Wow. So that's what a mental breakdown looks like. I can just imagine one of those really loud emergency sirens going WEEEEO WEEEEO! in the back.

Khantalas
2006-11-26, 07:19 AM
Are you trying to tell me you can't tell that those are human feet in 277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)? I mean look at them, it's pretty obvious. Now look at V's feet and you can see that the callouses on those feet are from someone who habitually walks barefoot, while Haley's feet show the callouses and chafing along the ankle and top of her feet from walking miles in boots. We have a sample elf in Vaarsuvius, and a sample half-elf in Pompey and NEITHER OF THEM EVER WEAR SHOES. Haley simply MUST be human (or at least, not any part elven) by her choice of footwear (or rather, that she HAS footwear). :smallsigh:

Elan doesn't wear boots. Haley doesn't wear boots. Durkon doesn't wear boots. Celia doesn't wear boots. V doesn't wear boots. And all their feet look exactly the same. IIRC, Belkar's the only barefoot person with a different "feet-drawing-style".

EDIT: Oh, Kat, Stick has immunity to use of logic, not all evidence. I looked at the errata of his MM entry, and it clearly states that "Evidence" part was a typo. So, there. :smalltongue:

Lemmingboy
2006-11-26, 07:37 AM
She really must have awful Sense Motive- or there was massive circumstance penalty.:smalleek:

warmachine
2006-11-26, 08:20 AM
Haley has my sympathies. When one hides one's true self, revealing it to anyone is hard.

Amon Star
2006-11-26, 09:20 AM
Am I the only one that's impressed with Nale. That was smooth... even with all the ego and DnD jokes to work around.

I'm with you on this one Om. IMO it was exactly the sort of thing :elan: could say. Come on people, he's a Bard and that how speech was SO cliched that I'm surprised the Lawyers didn't show up! Also, the fact that :nale: is getting away with it, despite all the inconsistencies, is evidance he has loads of Bluff. Remember, this is a D&D parody comic. You can get away with anything if you roll high enough. Here's a classic example.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0139.html

Sebastian
2006-11-26, 09:29 AM

That was before he knew of the portals and of the Snarl, now he need them to reach the portal and get rid of Xykon, only after that is killing time.

Khantalas
2006-11-26, 09:33 AM
Besides, if anyone thinks that Elan would be too dumb to say those things, see Fighter's speech here (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=060221).

His Intelligence penalty must be so massive that it folds upon itself, which would make it squared, which would make a positive number.

VMorticia
2006-11-26, 09:48 AM
ROFL! Curses, VMorticia! No looking at my entry in Monster Manual 86!

Lol. I don't have a copy of that edition, it just made sense in my demented brain.

EDIT: Oh, Kat, Stick has immunity to use of logic, not all evidence. I looked at the errata of his MM entry, and it clearly states that "Evidence" part was a typo. So, there. :smalltongue:

Meh, very little difference, and I'm actually beginning to warm up to the idea of Haley as a half-gerbil. :smalltongue:

The last panel in this link is also an excellent example of Elan being entirely too logical for his usual self, but there it was really Elan, so we know he's capable of it.

As for Elan's Intelligence, Khantalas, I think he's smarter than he acts, but because wisdom was (probably) his dump stat he acts the idiot more often than not. Basically I think he's lacking in wisdom but has a good Int modifier he never uses except for skill points... if that makes sense?

:elan:

Atheist_Cleric
2006-11-26, 09:51 AM
Ok, one thing above all that should have tipped Haley off. When Nale comes in, he sees her counting her money and says "I see i'm not interrupting anything important here". Now that is just what ruins him, Elan KNOWS how important Haley's loot is to her, hell, its what caused her to develop a major psychological condition. Even before that, seeing Haley polish her gold every day, seeing her go almost insane with glee at the dragon hoard, seeing the smile on her face when it was time to "divide the loot" at the inn after the dungeon of Dorukan, all these things point to one thing: Haley likes her shinies. Mostly so she can save her father, but also because uh, she's a THIEF. When I saw that Haley looked puzzled at Nale saying that, I thought then and there that she'd caught on, but apparently a speech where "Elan" insults himself several times, and praises his evil brother, who stabbed him and apparently wanted Roy to trade him for Julia so he could kill him again, was enough to take her mind off the thought. I mean come on, I know they say love is blind, but in this case I think love is blind, deaf and mentally retarded. :smallannoyed:

Amon Star
2006-11-26, 10:05 AM
The "I see I'm not interrupting anything important here" could just be a lack of tact. Also, Elan knows he's an idiot, so the self criticism could be something a slightly mature version would say.

Iruka
2006-11-26, 10:15 AM
I really liked this comic. Nale's funny speech with the rule references, the different Haleys und realizing that Nale doesn't know about Haley's problem with language...:smallbiggrin:

Norenche
2006-11-26, 10:23 AM
Good strip! but I don't understand last strip (it's because english isn't my usual language and expressions like that are not usually used at school)

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-11-26, 10:46 AM
HAHAHAHA!
Awesome!:smallsmile: :smallbiggrin:

"This is not a Drill!"

The Haleys.

From left to right.

Red = Tells the truth. Derived from the test of the mind in #327
Green = Tells lies. from #327
Black = Self-loathing. first seen in #311
Toddler = Optimism. First seen in #319
Fighter = No information.
White = Self-reliance. see #319
Non-ponytail haley = No information.
Pink = Elf. No idea.
Short-hair Haley = "Sick of all this emo crap"

Esabelle Ryngin
2006-11-26, 10:59 AM
My brain filled up with questions like "is Nale going to sleepwith her?" and "How in the holy heavens is she going to wear that dress!?" after reading the strip. I think the elf on is her 'inner elf', like 'inner child' and such.

CelestialStick
2006-11-26, 11:00 AM

Actually, as the sole author of Monster Manual 86 I am the definitive source of information on it, and I have issues no errata to that effect. I have, as stated previously the special ability of Immunity to Evidence (Ex). The claim of false errata to the contrary is just part of your transparently anti-elvine plot. :smallbiggrin:

Lol. I don't have a copy of that edition, it just made sense in my demented brain.

LOL! I wish this board had a little rolling on the floor icon that actually rolls like the board over as Wizards. :smalltongue:

Meh, very little difference, and I'm actually beginning to warm up to the idea of Haley as a half-gerbil. :smalltongue:

Hmm. I suspect that the talk of half-gerbilism serves as yet another red herring to distract from her real elfernity, but it's so insane that it's possible she could be a half-gerbil elf. :smallbiggrin:

When you saw "all hands on deck!" did anyone else think of the sketch in Wood Allen's movie "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask" where they show the little guys running around inside the man, looking out through a parascope and so forth? I'm not sure if that movie came before Rich's time or not. :smallbiggrin:

Am I the only one on this thread old enough to remember that movie?:smallfrown:

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 11:38 AM
Since Thog help nale not-nale not-nale by nailing not-nale not-nale to nail not-nale not-nale by leaving not-nale not-nale to rott in jail in jail...

... and Haley seems not to pleased with not-elan not-elan who has nailed not-nale to leave him in jail instead of nale not-nale...

It seems as though the fact that something is up is becoming known. Vaarsuvius already saw Nale wearing not-Nale's sash in the reverse and making out with a not-fe-male. Then there's mispronouncing Belkar and THEN Nale doesn't know about Haley's mis-speach or how much she likes her TREASURE! Which means that no matter how blind and unable to roll a Sense Motive Check Haley might be about not-Nale not-Nale who is currently rotting in jail, that not-Nale, she must be able to see Nale not not-Nale's lighter patch of skin where Nale's Naleish goatee that turned and that she doesn't trust used to be.

Not to mention Nale forgot to get not-Nale's lute, and we don't know where not-Nale's rapier is, while Nale uses a greatsword not so unlike Roy's. Nale is simply too unlike not-Nale to pull this off for much longer.

Simply stated, Nale is gonna get nailed by not-Nale or Haley. Whoever acts on it first. Maybe Haley will try to get some gp or pp from Nale in exchange for her to not (not) tell about him being not not-Nale -- because Nale doesn't know that she CAN'T speak Common at the moment.

And that's ten personalities, which isn't too bad. I think I have one personality for each character I create, although sometimes they go out. I wish I could charge them rent, because there're some I end up evicting anyway.
"Did anyone see where my tachi went?" - Eliezer of House Hunt

Bilbo27
2006-11-26, 12:56 PM
Haley will look great in that dress. Nale is sooooo gonna get busted!!

Great strip Giant

Cifer
2006-11-26, 01:02 PM
Not to mention Nale forgot to get not-Nale's lute, and we don't know where not-Nale's rapier is, while Nale uses a greatsword not so unlike Roy's.
Er... Nale uses a longsword.

Now that was a low move from Nale. A perfect fitting, gorgeous dress... he's trully evil and cunning... There's no way out from this one for Haley...

if you had an open minded GF? I'm sure Nales Nailed Sabine/In Haley form)
I believe she said 'Ahem'. The dress may be Sabine's and Nale just hoping their evil-oppositeness gives them the same measures or it may be magical and refit for every owner.
However, I very much doubt Sabine would ever shift into Haley-form except to kill someone.

Nu
2006-11-26, 01:14 PM
I'm with you on this one Om. IMO it was exactly the sort of thing :elan: could say. Come on people, he's a Bard and that how speech was SO cliched that I'm surprised the Lawyers didn't show up! Also, the fact that :nale: is getting away with it, despite all the inconsistencies, is evidance he has loads of Bluff. Remember, this is a D&D parody comic. You can get away with anything if you roll high enough. Here's a classic example.

Don't forget http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0029.html !

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 01:29 PM
My main point was that Nale isn't even carrying Elan's lute. Was it even in the room where the police arrested Elan, or did Elan just drop it in the streets and Nale forgot about it?

Norenche
2006-11-26, 01:38 PM
I think that :nale: and :haley: will be caught by :sabine: during the date since it's in the evening and :sabine: can come back at the day after, so if :nale: and :haley: stay for too long :sabine: would appear.

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 01:45 PM
I think that :nale: and :haley: will be caught by :sabine: during the date since it's in the evening and :sabine: can come back at the day after, so if :nale: and :haley: stay for too long :sabine: would appear.

That or Elan himself will somehow bust them.

:elan: Hey Haley, have you seen my brother around? He's kinda of... umm... oh, I can see you're busy I'll come back later... wait a minute, that's--

:nale: [stabs Elan through the chest] Why so stupid, Brother?

:elan: Hey look, Haley, I found another free sword stuck in my kidneys.

:nale: That's mine!

:elan: And Haley's mine, so lets trade.

CelestialStick
2006-11-26, 01:49 PM
That or Elan himself will somehow bust them.

:elan: Hey Haley, have you seen my brother around? He's kinda of... umm... oh, I can see you're busy I'll come back later... wait a minute, that's--

:nale: [stabs Elan through the chest] Why so stupid, Brother?

:elan: Hey look, Haley, I found another free sword stuck in my kidneys.

:nale: That's mine!

:elan: And Haley's mine, so lets trade.

On rats! That is exactly what was going to happen, but now that you've posted it, Rich will have to change it. You've spoiled everything! :smallbiggrin:

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 02:03 PM
Bwa-ha-ha!
I am Evil.

But it would seriously be hilarious if something even remotely similar to that was to happen. Even as I was thinking up that scenario I was thinking about how Elan would escape from jail (and Thog), evade the police (and Thog), and get from Calimport (and Thog) to Azure City and find Haley before Nale (or Thog) enacted his (or his) plan.

The cops think he's Nale, right? So what happens if he asks for not-Nale's lute? Or a kazoo. Or Banjo.

:thog: thog still likes puppies.

Manga Shoggoth
2006-11-26, 02:28 PM
Excelent comic (especially the last panel).

And as far as illness is concerned - don't overdo work when ill. I think we'd rather have a late comic than a late author.

Aurumvorax
2006-11-26, 03:21 PM
That was just aaaawesome! Loved the "This is not a drill!" thing :smallbiggrin:

I think the pointed-eared Haley is her "inner elf". I mean, many girls want to be like elves: be lithe and beautiful, live longer etc That may also include love for all things beautiful, like songs, art, jewelry... :smallwink:

Why do you guys think Nale couldn't buy that dress? First, look at page 380: background color on last two panels is different, which probably means different rooms. And Nale would have to go somewhere to get the flowers. Ok, I know Celia said that blue is the only color sold in Asure City, but if you look on some of the citizens (including Miko) - they are wearing white. And because black and white are achromatic colors - thus not really colors-colors - I think one can find them in Asure City. Red strings, on the other hand... :smallconfused: But Sabine in her "geisha" form wore a purple gown and nobody seemed to object.

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 03:29 PM
That was just aaaawesome! Loved the "This is not a drill!" thing :smallbiggrin:

I think the pointed-eared Haley is her "inner elf". I mean, many girls want to be like elves: be lithe and beautiful, live longer etc That may also include love for all things beautiful, like songs, art, jewelry... :smallwink:

Why do you guys think Nale couldn't buy that dress? First, look at page 380: background color on last two panels is different, which probably means different rooms. And Nale would have to go somewhere to get the flowers. Ok, I know Celia said that blue is the only color sold in Asure City, but if you look on some of the citizens (including Miko) - they are wearing white. And because black and white are achromatic colors - thus not really colors-colors - I think one can find them in Asure City. Red strings, on the other hand... :smallconfused: But Sabine in her "geisha" form wore a purple gown and nobody seemed to object.

I don't know if it's the colour so much as the form of the dress that they are objecting to, after all I believe everyone is in agreement that this is a super-skanky dress... and didn't Haley call Sabine a skank?
-----------------------------
"Note to self: listen to the tingling in the back of your head."
- Peter 'Spiderman' Parker in 'Ultimate Spider-Man' vs Green Goblin

Maratanos
2006-11-26, 03:31 PM
Hmmm, is it just me, or does that dress look suspiciously like the one that Haley's self-loathing is wearing? Maybe that's why she's so freaked out about it?

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 03:38 PM
Hmmm, is it just me, or does that dress look suspiciously like the one that Haley's self-loathing is wearing? Maybe that's why she's so freaked out about it?

Dunno. I think the dress than Nale gave her looks a lot more scanty than the one Goth-Haley is wearing. a LOT skankier.

xyzchyx
2006-11-26, 03:41 PM
The outfit that Nale gave her is _SIGNIFICANTLY_ lower cut than her self-loathing's dress. It looks more like lingerie to me than an actual dress.

Norenche
2006-11-26, 03:42 PM
Nale's gift is more like BDSM stuff than a usual Goth-clothing (although goth clothes usually are like BDSM ones)

Aurumvorax
2006-11-26, 03:47 PM
I don't know if it's the colour so much as the form of the dress that they are objecting to, after all I believe everyone is in agreement that this is a super-skanky dress... Come on, this is a Big Trade City. I am sure that you can buy just about everything, especially if you have levels in Rogue with its class skill Knowledge:Local.

Or maybe he bought this dress for Sabine before and wanted to give it to her on some occasion, but he got offended by her behavior (Abandoning him in the middle of a super evil plan! What a disgrace!) and decided to put the skanky dress to better use.

Come to think of it, does Sabine need clothing at all?:smallconfused: It seems to me that she can create any clothing with her shapeshifting abilities...

urodivoi
2006-11-26, 03:47 PM
I believe she said 'Ahem'. The dress may be Sabine's and Nale just hoping their evil-oppositeness gives them the same measures or it may be magical and refit for every owner.

Measuring clothing is not hard in D&D, there is only generally two sizes for player characters: small & medium.:smallsigh:

It doesn't have to be 'magical' to resize to her, it just fits because she is a medium size creature... this is the result of universal simplification and abstraction.

I'm sure alot of people wish OUR universe worked the same way.:smallwink:

Rhialy
2006-11-26, 04:06 PM
Okay, a woman will always know in the kiss. That will be the one thing that will give Nale away and he will never expect it because to him it won't be of any importance!! Now, once he's caught, how will Haley be able to warn everyone? Oh, my... I am worried about her. Perhaps part of her inability to communicate clearly is because all those little splinters of self are trying to be heard at the same time. Of course, gibberish is to be expected at a time like that!! :smallsigh: :smile:

Aurumvorax
2006-11-26, 04:17 PM
Okay, a woman will always know in the kiss. How is she going to know if she has never kissed Elan in the first place? :smallconfused: Well, probably, Nale is more ... ehm... experienced than Elan would be but you never know with those bards :smallwink:

Maratanos
2006-11-26, 04:18 PM
Okay, a woman will always know in the kiss.

You know, that's just enough of an overused clich¯¯é for it to work... :biggrin:

Norenche
2006-11-26, 04:22 PM
Well, maybe Nale will have some hair where there was a goatee. He cut his goatee days before and usually after some days the beard starts to appear and Haley will notice that.

Krytha
2006-11-26, 04:31 PM
:miko: vs. :redcloak: again!

Grey Watcher
2006-11-26, 04:59 PM
Interesting....

I'm less curious about the apparently Elven Haley persona than about the armored one. Oddly enough, my first thought wasn't that it was necessarily aggression or something else more militaristic, as others have said, but that it might actually be Haley's honesty, because the armor, strangely, gave me an image of Haley in some alternate life as a Paladin (and a cool, personable one like Hinjo). Still it could be a lot of things....

Norenche
2006-11-26, 05:02 PM
Uhm... It's possible, but I put the Honesty thing in the Green Haley, and consider the armored one as the leader Haley or maybe a similar thing with the elven one, "What would Roy/Durkon do"

Fenix
2006-11-26, 05:19 PM
the fact that :nale: is getting away with it, despite all the inconsistencies, is evidance he has loads of Bluff. Remember, this is a D&D parody comic. You can get away with anything if you roll high enough.

That is the point exactly. Rules are important here in OOTS only as long as they provide comedy material. Thats what parody is about, and that is the right way for OOTS IMHO :smallbiggrin:

Elcaz
2006-11-26, 05:32 PM

I remember that movie, Stick. When I saw it on TV. If you saw it in theaters, then yes, you're alone on that boat. :smallbiggrin:

Grasilich
2006-11-26, 06:07 PM
*registers after reading thread*

Been lurking this forum for some time... my thoughts:

In my opinion, no one's going to figure out that Nale is Nale. That's just not how these sorts plotlines work. What'll happen is Elan will have to escape from jail and perhaps round up the estranged members of the Linear Guild (quite plausible, especially if Sabine is estranged from Nale after this Haley affair)... Then he'll have to go and reclaim his own identity. Just think about it the way Elan would: What's more dramatic - unmasking Nale while he is there or while he isn't there?

Nale may alienate members of the party from himself, but he isn't going to be discovered until Elan gets his act together, escapes from jail and somehow proves that Nale has underestimated him. If his friends just pull him out of the fire, then what would be the point? It would do absolutely nothing for his character development.

Anyhow, yeah, just felt the need to say that.

Nu
2006-11-26, 06:09 PM
How is she going to know if she has never kissed Elan in the first place? :smallconfused: Well, probably, Nale is more ... ehm... experienced than Elan would be but you never know with those bards :smallwink:

Nah, Elan is very experienced at kissing. He's got high charisma after all and cited that seduction was part of the bard charter, so he's probably been with many women. We've already seen him kissing Samantha(the bandit daughter) and random Azure city girl.

If anything, Elan is probably the more experienced one.

Norenche
2006-11-26, 06:12 PM
*registers after reading thread*

Been lurking this forum for some time... my thoughts:

In my opinion, no one's going to figure out that Nale is Nale. That's just not how these sorts plotlines work. What'll happen is Elan will have to escape from jail and perhaps round up the estranged members of the Linear Guild (quite plausible, especially if Sabine is estranged from Nale after this Haley affair)... Then he'll have to go and reclaim his own identity. Just think about it the way Elan would: What's more dramatic - unmasking Nale while he is there or while he isn't there?

Nale may alienate members of the party from himself, but he isn't going to be discovered until Elan gets his act together, escapes from jail and somehow proves that Nale has underestimated him. If his friends just pull him out of the fire, then what would be the point? It would do absolutely nothing for his character development.

Anyhow, yeah, just felt the need to say that.

First, welcome to the forum (well, I'm also new here, I registered a few hours ago)

second,

I think that at least Belkar and Haley will realise. Belkar simply won't care and he won't tell anything. Haley will know but she won't tell anything because she can't say anyching but gibberish

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 06:26 PM
Haley's response will be simple:

:haley: [Sneak Attack Head Butt!]
:nale: Argh! Whad'ja do that for, ya b****h?!
:haley: [What did you do with Elan?!]
:nale: Look, I know you seem to be angry at me for some reason that I can't comprehend, so calm down. Because I'm Elan!
:haley: [Sneak Attack Head Butt 2!!]
:nale: Oww!
:haley: [AoO! AoO!]
:elan: Did I come at the wrong time? Thog?
:thog: thog axe not-elan :smallwink:
:haley: [Elan?! Kiss of Opportunity! Kiss of Opportunity!]

And on one of the other boards I already envisioned how Elan's going to escape from the jail. Basically, by using his Annoy (Into Submission) Skill.

Norenche
2006-11-26, 06:30 PM
I think you can try to do some guest strips, you have good ideas :biggrin:

dragon95046
2006-11-26, 06:34 PM
Elan doesn't wear boots. Haley doesn't wear boots. Durkon doesn't wear boots. Celia doesn't wear boots. V doesn't wear boots. And all their feet look exactly the same. IIRC, Belkar's the only barefoot person with a different "feet-drawing-style".

On the contrary about Haley, if you look at just about any of the strips OTHER than 277 Haley does wear boots, just try the last strip for instance. Dwarves, elves, and half-elves apparently don't wear boots while Haley does, meaning she is neither an elf, half-elf, or dwarf and, as you pointed out Belkars differences, she apparently isn't an overlarge halfling either. Elan on the other hand may very well be an elf, half-elf or dwarf, but that is not the nature of this particular discussion. Celia's lack of footwear indicates to me that Haley is also not a...what the hell was Celia? A sprite? A pixie?

Having said all this, I should also note that I am well aware of the illogical and unreasonableness of these arguments and conclusions, but they have rather been designed and aimed to penetrate, or rather sidestep, Mr. Sticks Evidence Immunity and hammer his defenses with false evidence.

So, Khantalas, my apologies if the attacks hit the wrong character, I should have yelled duck first. :smallbiggrin:

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 06:35 PM
I think you can try to do some guest strips, you have good ideas :biggrin:

I'm not good at art or anything (not even stick figures the way Rich does 'em), so I welcome the Giant himself to use any and all of my ideas as he sees fit. They ARE his characters, after all.

Hear that Rich, the call's up to you... and feel free to consult me if you run outta ideas. I bet there're others here who could help you outta artist's block too. Anytime.

:elan: Draw, draw, draw the next comic:smallbiggrin:

Maratanos
2006-11-26, 06:36 PM
And on one of the other boards I already envisioned how Elan's going to escape from the jail. Basically, by using his Annoy (Into Submission) Skill.

Yeah, but that'd still leave them in cliffport. How would they get to Azure city by the end of today?

Norenche
2006-11-26, 06:47 PM
Another Annoying song to a wizard that can cast teleport?

Or maybe a praise to Mighty Banjo?

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 06:49 PM
Yeah, but that'd still leave them in cliffport. How would they get to Azure city by the end of today?

:elan: Thog, if you can get us a fast way to get to Azure City, I'll give you some ice cream.
:thog: thog like ice cream. and sprinkles.
:elan: Ice cream, with sprinkles.
:thog: and a puppy. thog love puppies.
:elan: A puppy in ice cream?
:thog: not-nale have wierd ideas.
:elan: Okay okay, if you help me get to Azure City as fast as possible, I'll get you a puppy and ice cream with sprinkles.
:thog: thog go get rocketskates for elan-man
:elan: What about that wizard kid you guys had around?
Rizzt'd: May I be of service?
:elan: Aren't you a drow? I mean that drow who--
Rizzt'd: I changed my name and my weapon of choice. I am my own Drow now.
:elan: You're gonna help me too?
Rizzt'd: Yes. I owe Nale for what he did to us. So after you're donw with him, I have my own punishment to serve.
:elan: Sounds evil,
Rizzt'd: I'm still a drow,
:thog: can thog still get rocketskates?
Rizzt'd: Be my guest,
:elan: I think I'm starting to form a plan,:smallamused:
:thog: thog back,
:elan: Lets go -- Neo Linear Guild!
Rizzt'd: Teleport,

*note: he may have changed his name, but 'Rizzt'd' still has all the letters required to spell out 'Drizzt'

CelestialStick
2006-11-26, 07:20 PM
Okay, a woman will always know in the kiss.

That was precisely my first thought. I mean Aretha Franklin devoted an entire song to just that idea.

How is she going to know if she has never kissed Elan in the first place? :smallconfused:

And that was my second thought.

I'm less curious about the apparently Elven Haley persona

Ah-ha! The moderator finds her obvious elvenity unsurprising. More evidence! :smallbiggrin:

I remember that movie, Stick. When I saw it on TV. If you saw it in theaters, then yes, you're alone on that boat. :smallbiggrin:

I did see it in the theater! Back in those days there's no way they would have shown that movie on tv. Today they might not even have to edit it. :smallbiggrin: Well at least someone else has heard of the movie.

On the contrary about Haley, if you look at just about any of the strips OTHER than 277 Haley does wear boots, just try the last strip for instance. Dwarves, elves, and half-elves apparently don't wear boots while Haley does, meaning she is neither an elf, half-elf, or dwarf and, as you pointed out Belkars differences, she apparently isn't an overlarge halfling either. Elan on the other hand may very well be an elf, half-elf or dwarf, but that is not the nature of this particular discussion. Celia's lack of footwear indicates to me that Haley is also not a...what the hell was Celia? A sprite? A pixie?

Having said all this, I should also note that I am well aware of the illogical and unreasonableness of these arguments and conclusions, but they have rather been designed and aimed to penetrate, or rather sidestep, Mr. Sticks Evidence Immunity and hammer his defenses with false evidence.

So, Khantalas, my apologies if the attacks hit the wrong character, I should have yelled duck first. :smallbiggrin:

Nice try, but ultimately futile, because of the immunity part of Immunity to Evidence (Ex). :smallwink:

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 07:30 PM
IMO Immunity to Evidence (EX) is a drawback and not a strength. Due to those close-mindedness, you may not be open to new experiences or growth, so you stay the same -- same thing with Miko, since she hasn't really changed.

It seems as though true strength would come from the openness to those new ideas, those other viewpoints, even the possibility of being wrong so that one might grow and change to become even stronger than before. As long as a person has enough logic and evidence, I consider it a good thing to be open to his or her viewpoint and argument.

It's part of a discourse to be able to argue back and forth and come to some sort of conclusion, rather than shooting something down to dismiss it out of hand. So I posit to you that Openness to Change (if not Mind) would be a proper counter to Immunity to Evidence.

CelestialStick
2006-11-26, 08:40 PM
IMO Immunity to Evidence (EX) is a drawback and not a strength.

You think? :smallbiggrin:

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 08:48 PM
You think? :smallbiggrin:

Yup. My opinion. Doesn't hurt to occasionally frame an argument instead of playing the Immunity card. The only Immunity card I've ever held had to do with my characters' genetics. Then again, maybe your Immunity to Evidence is one of them? I simply can't tell.

CelestialStick
2006-11-26, 09:07 PM
Yup. My opinion. Doesn't hurt to occasionally frame an argument instead of playing the Immunity card. The only Immunity card I've ever held had to do with my characters' genetics. Then again, maybe your Immunity to Evidence is one of them? I simply can't tell.

LOL. You're totally missing the satire. :smallbiggrin:

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 09:33 PM
LOL. You're totally missing the satire. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry. My sense of humour doesn't account for satire, sarcasm, and soemtimes even puns. Especially after reading the Piers Anthony books. The memories... so painful it hurts.

:nale: Elan?
:elan: Nale!
:haley: [Nale?!]
:sabine: NALE, you b@sta@rd!
:nale: Sabine,
:belkar: Hot chicks... again!
:durkon: Elan?
:elan: Durkon,

:xykon: Order of the Stick!
:roy: Xykon!
:vaarsuvius: Roy, I--
:haley: [Elan! Kiss of Opportunity!]
:thog: not-elan [swings axe at Nale]
:miko: Redcloak!
:redcloak: Eh? Someone remembered my--
:roy: Miko?
:belkar: Hey, Miko! Wanna have another go?
:miko: Cretinous--
:sabine: [starts sapping Miko's strength] Sorry, you only get one--
:roy: And yours is up! [slices at Sabine with his sword]
:nale: Sabine!
:elan: Nale,
:thog: thog nail not-elan
:xykon: Is anyone paying any attention to... [looks around]
:redcloak: Lord Xykon, this way.
:mitd: Aww, I STILL don't get to come out?
:xykon: MitD, come!
:vaarsuvius: Roy,
:roy: V?
:vaarsuvius: Xykon is--
:sabine: I'm your problem now,
:durkon: Thor's...
:roach: Oh crap, gonna get squished...

:roy: Elan,
:elan: Roy?
:roy: Haley,
:haley: Roy,
:roy: V,
:vaarsuvius: What now?
:roy: Go after Xykon!
:elan: :haley: :vaarsuvius: SAY SO SOONER!

baerdith
2006-11-26, 09:42 PM

No, look closer. That dress is slit up to AND down to her navel!

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 09:46 PM
No, look closer. That dress is slit up to AND down to her navel!

:haley: Examines dress more closely [thinks: I'm saving this for Elan -- tee hee!]

wagomorph
2006-11-26, 10:02 PM
Remember Elan spent time "invisible". Haley went to check out what his 18 charisma was worth "under the hood." http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html

I wonder if there will be any non genetically coded dermatologic variances to bust Nale??

charik
2006-11-26, 10:19 PM

No, sadly you're not.

baerdith
2006-11-26, 10:24 PM

Actually, I think I have it. SPELLCASTERS don't wear boots. Elan and Nale don't neither did Roy's father.

Wooter
2006-11-26, 10:43 PM
Oh, this is going to be good.

I love it when Haley talks to herself.

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 11:14 PM
Remember Elan spent time "invisible". Haley went to check out what his 18 charisma was worth "under the hood." http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html

I wonder if there will be any non genetically coded dermatologic variances to bust Nale??

And Nale probably doesn't have 18 Charisma.

Tobimaro
2006-11-26, 11:20 PM
First, Nale's ...er, Elan's exposition went a bit too long. I'm not sure if Haley asked to make a Sense Motive check, but I suspect that is what is going on in the last panel. Her collective sub-conscious is going to have a good heart-to-heart and work it all out. Of course she should be getting a circumstance modifier with that dress in her hands. :smallwink:

I'm also thinking of what :sabine: is going to think if she were to gate in on :nale: and :haley: ? Of course that is idle speculation, but I am curious as to what could happen. Draining vs. sneak attack? But enough talk as to what could happen to Nale... :smallwink:

Xi-1
2006-11-26, 11:48 PM
Foils

:elan:Foil, foil, foil Nale's plot!
:nale:Where did you get that?
:elan:On the street. Where you left it. But there's one other thing you should be worried about right now.
:nale:What's that?
:elan:My foil,
:nale:So you're going to try to foil me? YOU foil ME? With what?
:elan:[brandishing rapier] With my foil.

Pie
2006-11-27, 01:35 AM
Registered just to post this. Yes, it was that important.

You guys are reading too much into the strip looking for hidden messages. And on the flip side, you are not reading enough bad fantasy fiction and fanfiction.

An elf with unnaturally pink hair? She must be Haley's inner Mary Sue. :smallbiggrin:

Xi-1
2006-11-27, 02:23 AM
Registered just to post this. Yes, it was that important.

You guys are reading too much into the strip looking for hidden messages. And on the flip side, you are not reading enough bad fantasy fiction and fanfiction.

An elf with unnaturally pink hair? She must be Haley's inner Mary Sue. :smallbiggrin:

She could also be Haley's inner anime elf. Those girls have all kinds of wierd and crazy colours in their hair. As for me, it's just fun to think up the dialogue for possible scenarios. Hmm, what would it take for Elan to meet Haley's Aspects? Then he would have to decide which part he likes best.

Freelance Henchman
2006-11-27, 02:44 AM
Nale. Must. Die.

charles
2006-11-27, 04:43 AM
The Red Haley = truth
The Green Haley = lies
See comic 327 ;)

Elven Haley could be practicality.

I wonder if the oracle's words from comic 331 are in any way talking about nale here.
"When the gift horse comes calling, don't look it in the mouth"

Castamir
2006-11-27, 05:12 AM
And Nale probably doesn't have 18 Charisma.
Why? Sorcerers are a charisma-based class.

monkofawesome
2006-11-27, 05:17 AM
The Red Haley = truth
The Green Haley = lies

Elven Haley could be practicality.

I've come to the conclusion that since we already saw Haley at a point in her life where she dressed like like a Goth and wanted to be "dark", she must have also had a period where she dressed like an elf, and wore the ears.

Let's call her "Cosplay Haley." The pink hair just dolls up the girliness of it all.

And if Goth Haley was "Evil"...Green, Red, and White are pretty easy to discern (Lawful, Chaotic, and Goody-Goody)

faerwain
2006-11-27, 05:19 AM
Sorry. My sense of humour doesn't account for satire, sarcasm, and soemtimes even puns. Especially after reading the Piers Anthony books. The memories... so painful it hurts.

For not sensing puns your spoiler story was quite amusing :smallbiggrin:

Piers Anthony..was that Xanth? I remember these books being quite popular, but never read one..I was more into "serious" Sword'n'Sorcery at that time.

rxmd
2006-11-27, 05:22 AM
I think the pointed-eared Haley is her "inner elf". I mean, many girls want to be like elves: be lithe and beautiful, live longer etc
So judging from LARP experience, pointy-eared Haley is her inner bumblebee elf?

charles
2006-11-27, 05:28 AM
Armoured Haley could be Courage, Bravery, etc.

Skirt and no pony-tail Haley could be Sensuality/Sexuality

I seriously wonder if the fact Haley see's all these personalities could be a trait of her suspected non-human side. All we know about her Mum is that she gave her two gemstones (comic 123) and that she was a good and pure person (comic 311)

"When the gift horse comes calling, don't look it in the mouth"
Could also be talking about Elan coming to the rescue.

Also need to remember that Pompey is back keeping an eye on Elan with and Send scroll to warn Nale.

Maratanos
2006-11-27, 12:51 PM
Final word, through the new comic:

Elf is Haley's intellect, Dress is Haley's Vanity.

Xi-1
2006-11-27, 03:01 PM
For not sensing puns your spoiler story was quite amusing :smallbiggrin:

Piers Anthony..was that Xanth? I remember these books being quite popular, but never read one..I was more into "serious" Sword'n'Sorcery at that time.

Thanks and yeah, Piers Anthony wrote the still-expanding Xanth Saga, as well as 'Incarnations of Immortality' and the Adept Series. If you haven't read Xanth, I recommend stopping soon after the third book. Definately do NOT go as far as 'The Color of Her Panties.' 'IoI' is fantastic, and Adept carries about as much nudity and other ecchi stuff as Xanth itself.

Vanity... I never would have pegged that. Thought she was Haley's practical-stay-at-home side. And the armour being distrust... I got hung up on the cape. Latent Bisexuality? Never saw her coming. And of all the times for Haley to start trusting the way things look, now is definately the time that can bring the most tension and hilarity.

CelestialStick
2006-11-27, 05:41 PM
Thanks and yeah, Piers Anthony wrote the still-expanding Xanth Saga, as well as 'Incarnations of Immortality' and the Adept Series. If you haven't read Xanth, I recommend stopping soon after the third book. Definately do NOT go as far as 'The Color of Her Panties.' 'IoI' is fantastic, and Adept carries about as much nudity and other ecchi stuff as Xanth itself.

Vanity... I never would have pegged that. Thought she was Haley's practical-stay-at-home side. And the armour being distrust... I got hung up on the cape. Latent Bisexuality? Never saw her coming. And of all the times for Haley to start trusting the way things look, now is definately the time that can bring the most tension and hilarity.

The Xanth series started as some fairly serious fantasy with a thin veneer of puns intended for a basically adult audience, and slowly slid into a silly series in which "Xanth is made of puns" intended more for younger audiences. In one book he even has the characters find a copy of an earlier book and claim that the world "hell" was supposed to be the word "well" in order to make it more pallatable to children (or to their parents anyway). I followed the series for years, well past The Color of Her Panties and at one point wrote to Piers Anthony to tell him that I thought the books contained too many puns. I think I wrote to him three times and he was nice enough to reply all three. To that letter he said that if he'd kept the original first chapter to the book to which I objected I really would have hated it because it was nothing but puns.

I didn't stop reading the series because of how it had changed so much as because I just stopped reading fantasy fiction much at all, partly for financial reasons and partly because in academia I have to do so much reading anyway.