PDA

View Full Version : Rolemaster 2nd Edition. character creation help

argol228
2013-05-06, 06:43 AM
Hi, I am going to be in my first rolemaster game, and I am a complete newb when it comes to this system. I have an Idea I want to try but don't really know how I should build it.

My Character is going to essentially be a Templar from Dragon age. a heavy armour knight focused on Spear/Shield combat with abilities meant to lockdown and punish casters. Could anyone give me advice, build guidelines?

Rhynn
2013-05-06, 09:03 AM
Oh ouch.

Please, please, please get your GM to help you.

I probably played MERP and Rolemaster in various incarnations for 5-6 years before I really got the character creation rules. I and my friends did it wrong in so many ways as teens. They are complex and unintuitive. Once you learn them, they are perfectly fine (if a bit slow/lengthy), and they're not as bad as HERO System or something, but they are up there...

Unfortunately, my books are the 1999 edition (Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing, I suppose 4th edition technically?), so any advice I give would be slightly off.

Also, you're going to need specifics from your GM on races, etc. available.

Rolemaster is an older game, there's no such thing as "locking down casters" etc.

Your concept is easy enough - you're going to be a Fighter, focusing on Heavy Armor skill and Pole Arms. However, the actual character creation process (rolling stats, development points, etc.) is complex enough, and may differ subtly between editions, that you really need to sit down with your GM and go over it.

Mordar
2013-05-15, 04:52 PM
Congratulations on getting to play my favorite game! I'm always happy to hear that there are still people playing RM :smallsmile:

Much like Rhynn, I can't help much with specifics as my experience and books are all from yesteryear. I so very strongly agree with him on the GM help. Schedule an hour with him to cover creation...and as an added bonus, you'll get to backstory-chat at the same time. I can offer a few more general tips on what to think about before you dive in:

Be sure to think about your character from a holistic perspective. Unlike many other RPGs, you will have a relatively large number of skill points to invest and should come into things with a grounded sense of what your character does when he isn't spearing warlocks;
There is a broader array of attributes than many other games (10), so be prepared by thinking about physical and mental characteristics. If you have any White Wolf experience, you'll be fine in this regard;
Follow the GM's lead, and ask for help/advice. If there's trust, it will help make a more successful experience for everyone; and
Be patient. The system feels big early on, but once you get the hang of it, it is smooth, wonderfully character-development driven and heroic.

I kind of wish I were in your shoes. Enjoy the game!

- M